Are the posted questions getting worse?

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

low carb diet? - I eat bread or fries once a week. It makes me sleepy.

I found that a lot of veg and chicken is a good way to go(grilled asparagus in honey and black pepper)... as for giving up beer - never ,it's my stress relief after dealing with the juniors in my team

Apparently it's not a low carb diet more 'controlled' carbs.  It's all about balance or so I'm told.  To be honest, when my future was being mapped out for me when my wife was describing it, it was the only diet plan that I didn't immediately think 'cobblers'.

It's the beer I miss most.  It doesn't help that my new desk in the kitchen has a couple of boxes and bags of beer underneath it and I keep kicking them.  There's a clink that sounds like nothing else.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

I found that a lot of veg and chicken is a good way to go(grilled asparagus in honey and black pepper)... as for giving up beer - never ,it's my stress relief after dealing with the juniors in my team

Apparently it's not a low carb diet more 'controlled' carbs.  It's all about balance or so I'm told.  To be honest, when my future was being mapped out for me when my wife was describing it, it was the only diet plan that I didn't immediately think 'cobblers'.

It's the beer I miss most.  It doesn't help that my new desk in the kitchen has a couple of boxes and bags of beer underneath it and I keep kicking them.  There's a clink that sounds like nothing else.

lol - I have 4 words for you "put your foot down" man should not be told what to eat, man should decide.... the same as a dba decides how to normalise or set up his DR strategy 🙂

MVDBA

Neil Burton wrote:

lol - I have 4 words for you "put your foot down" man should not be told what to eat, man should decide.... the same as a dba decides how to normalise or set up his DR strategy 🙂

I tried that once and I should be getting full use of my foot back soon.  Without wanting to sound too brainwashed, we're still eating what we did just measuring things out a bit more carefully.  It seems a balanced diet isn't putting half a pound of mashed potatoes on each side of your plate.

It does still allow barbecue and with the weather improving and me working from home now there are many more opportunities to get the smoker out.  I don't have to wait for the rare dry Saturday to cook in the yard.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• half a pound of mashed potatoes???I would be asleep for a full day. I opt for salad. i.m a healthy 12.5 stone (I dropped to 9 stone at one point due to flu) .

one thing I can advise is that exercise is a better medicine than diet. I play hockey and that justifies a few treats (ice cream, steak, lasagne) , but it helps my heart and my mental health.. hope you have something physical to do that isn't computer related

MVDBA

half a pound of mashed potatoes???I would be asleep for a full day. I opt for salad. i.m a healthy 12.5 stone (I dropped to 9 stone at one point due to flu) .

one thing I can advise is that exercise is a better medicine than diet. I play hockey and that justifies a few treats (ice cream, steak, lasagne) , but it helps my heart and my mental health.. hope you have something physical to do that isn't computer related

That may have been a slight exaggeration...

I try to run every morning and spend as much time on the hills as I could.  We've also got an allotment that needs a fair bit of hard work.  I'm not sure when we'll be able to get there again given recent developments unfortunately.

The running definitely helps me clear my head.  Although it's surprising how many times the solution to a sticky problem will come to me as I'm slogging back up the hill to the house.

• Florida Governor DeSantis finally told restaurants in the state that they had to close their dining areas and do take out / delivery only.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Sean Lange wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

LOL, I'm fairly clean when I cook, washing pots and dishes while I can. I like to have things relatively clean and neat when I'm done.

Now my FIL, I'm not sure he cleans anything and tries desparately to get flour on every surface and use as many things as possible. I somewhat cringe when he wants to cook something.

I did manage to fill the jar yesterday

Having worked as a chef for the better part of a decade I was definitely not clean in the kitchen at home. But over the last 15 or so years I have changed my work habits and now the kitchen is typically cleaner when I finish cooking then it was when I started.

Sean, I'm glad to hear you've cleaned up your act. 😉  I never worked as a chef, but I really enjoy cooking. I've always been the type to leave the kitchen cleaner than I found it.  I find cleaning as I go (not much during mis en place, but more while things are cooking) helps to eliminate the cleanup when I'm done.

I figure it's all a part of cooking and I can't stand having a dirty kitchen.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Sean Lange wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

LOL, I'm fairly clean when I cook, washing pots and dishes while I can. I like to have things relatively clean and neat when I'm done.

Now my FIL, I'm not sure he cleans anything and tries desparately to get flour on every surface and use as many things as possible. I somewhat cringe when he wants to cook something.

I did manage to fill the jar yesterday

Having worked as a chef for the better part of a decade I was definitely not clean in the kitchen at home. But over the last 15 or so years I have changed my work habits and now the kitchen is typically cleaner when I finish cooking then it was when I started.

Sean, I'm glad to hear you've cleaned up your act. 😉  I never worked as a chef, but I really enjoy cooking. I've always been the type to leave the kitchen cleaner than I found it.  I find cleaning as I go (not much during mis en place, but more while things are cooking) helps to eliminate the cleanup when I'm done.

I figure it's all a part of cooking and I can't stand having a dirty kitchen.

I have always kept a spotless work surface. But in the back of the house I was notorious for getting all the pots and pans, dishes and floor dirty. Not so much these days. Once I had to clean all that stuff myself I changed my habits. 😀

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant - just reading your wordpress blog - it strikes me that I'm missing some skills in monitoring SSRS and SSIS using XE... might be a nice topic

we all take SSIS and SSRS for granted, but maybe we should monitor them more

Heh... I never miss anything about SSIS or SSRS.  I normally use a .357 on every instance I find.  My skills are improving... I can actually sense one being stood up and shoot through the wall to hit it without looking.  Unfortunately, it's a skill that people seem to prefer that I leave off my resume. 😀

How do you do reports then without SSRS?

• x wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Grant - just reading your wordpress blog - it strikes me that I'm missing some skills in monitoring SSRS and SSIS using XE... might be a nice topic

Heh... I never miss anything about SSIS or SSRS.  I normally use a .357 on every instance I find.  My skills are improving... I can actually sense one being stood up and shoot through the wall to hit it without looking.  Unfortunately, it's a skill that people seem to prefer that I leave off my resume. 😀

"Magic" Crystal. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

x wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

"Magic" Crystal. @=)

Or stored procedures.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

x wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

"Magic" Crystal. @=)

Or stored procedures.

How do you let users send stuff to printers with stored procedures? Sounds handy!

• x wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

x wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

"Magic" Crystal. @=)

Or stored procedures.

How do you let users send stuff to printers with stored procedures? Sounds handy!

The majority of users don't have SSMS. They hit a website that fires a stored procedure to retrieve the data and then render it to the page.  They can then print the page.

For people who have SSMS and privs to run procedures, they can copy data and print it however they want.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

x wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

"Magic" Crystal. @=)

Or stored procedures.

Crystal, powered by parameterised stored procedures. Very powerful 😉

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 64,756 through 64,770 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply