Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • ChrisM@Work wrote:

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    x wrote:

    How do you do reports then without SSRS?

    "Magic" Crystal. @=)

    Or stored procedures.

    Crystal, powered by parameterised stored procedures. Very powerful 😉

    You know why it's called Crystal right?  Because it's very fragile and needs to be handled very delicately or it will break.  I think the only reason people use it at all these days is because a small version of it was included with Visual Studio for so long until SAP bought it.

  • Chris Harshman wrote:

    ChrisM@Work wrote:

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    x wrote:

    How do you do reports then without SSRS?

    "Magic" Crystal. @=)

    Or stored procedures.

    Crystal, powered by parameterised stored procedures. Very powerful 😉

    You know why it's called Crystal right?  Because it's very fragile and needs to be handled very delicately or it will break.  I think the only reason people use it at all these days is because a small version of it was included with Visual Studio for so long until SAP bought it.

    I liked it ok, only used up to version 9 so don't know how good it is nowadays, but on the other hand, ssrs has its own fun little quirks.

     

  • What we found out was that the users were using SSRS to make spreadsheets and reformat them and change them and add to them, etc, etc.  We found that it was easier and produced results much more quickly to simply allow the users to call certain stored procedures from their spreadsheets.  It still responds to AD logins correctly, etc, etc.  And, the users hated SSRS because "it slowed us down a lot".

    As for my morning reports for SQL Server, I wrote my own to create a little HTML and embed it in the email the server sends me every morning for SQL Agent Jobs across multiple servers and an Enterprise Disk Report that reports potential problems with disk space by server name and disk (including size, free space, etc) that covers about 148 servers (only a few of them are SQL Servers).  That same report contains a "removable media" finder and it even includes "isDirty" and whether or not the server could be pinged and then logged into.

     

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

  • Jeff Moden wrote:

    What we found out was that the users were using SSRS to make spreadsheets and reformat them and change them and add to them, etc, etc.  We found that it was easier and produced results much more quickly to simply allow the users to call certain stored procedures from their spreadsheets.  It still responds to AD logins correctly, etc, etc.  And, the users hated SSRS because "it slowed us down a lot".

    I did the same thing for the folks who were spreadsheet jockey's.  The unfortunate thing was that people who are technologically challenged wanted to do it also, so the help desk got buried with requests for access to do this.

    Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

  • Michael L John wrote:

    Jeff Moden wrote:

    What we found out was that the users were using SSRS to make spreadsheets and reformat them and change them and add to them, etc, etc.  We found that it was easier and produced results much more quickly to simply allow the users to call certain stored procedures from their spreadsheets.  It still responds to AD logins correctly, etc, etc.  And, the users hated SSRS because "it slowed us down a lot".

    I did the same thing for the folks who were spreadsheet jockey's.  The unfortunate thing was that people who are technologically challenged wanted to do it also, so the help desk got buried with requests for access to do this.

    We have certain AD groups of people that automatically are members.  If someone changes position, the Windows folks automagically move people from one group to another and that makes life pretty easy when it comes to which stored procedures people can execute.

     

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

  • Lol here they just add people to new ones, and there are layers to the onion. I have no idea how many things I'm still in after 14 years, get random emails and have different access levels than the rest of my team for no visible reason to me.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

  • jonathan.crawford wrote:

    Lol here they just add people to new ones, and there are layers to the onion. I have no idea how many things I'm still in after 14 years, get random emails and have different access levels than the rest of my team for no visible reason to me.

     

    Heh... isn't that why Active Directory is abbreviated "AD"? 😀

    --Jeff Moden


    RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

    Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

  • It is amazing how well AD groups work. It also conveniently handles when someone's terminated and they no longer have privs.

  • is it just me or does the OP here just think that we "should" answer all his/her questions without he/she showing that he made an effort of googling for whats being asked?

  • frederico_fonseca wrote:

    is it just me or does the OP here just think that we "should" answer all his/her questions without he/she showing that he made an effort of googling for whats being asked?

    Well, this is yet another thread from this poster who is relying upon the community to design his AG environment, his replication environment for DR, and now his licensing.

    Somewhere in one of his threads I'm pretty sure I suggested that he spend some time doing training.

    Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

  • Michael L John wrote:

    frederico_fonseca wrote:

    is it just me or does the OP here just think that we "should" answer all his/her questions without he/she showing that he made an effort of googling for whats being asked?

    Well, this is yet another thread from this poster who is relying upon the community to design his AG environment, his replication environment for DR, and now his licensing.

    Somewhere in one of his threads I'm pretty sure I suggested that he spend some time doing training.

    I just recommended to him that he needs to hire someone...haven't seen a response on that yet.

    Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

    ― Charles R. Swindoll

    How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

  • frederico_fonseca wrote:

    is it just me or does the OP here just think that we "should" answer all his/her questions without he/she showing that he made an effort of googling for whats being asked?

    They're an admin god. Why would they need us to tell them about basic Administration? ??

    Thom~

    Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

  • Excuse me, folks. I've just been hired as a DBA for a major national insurance company. I'm hoping you can answer two questions for me and this forum seemed to be the perfect place for my questions.

    How do I turn SQL on? I don't see any buttons on my computer.

    Also, why is SQL spelled wrong?

    Please, if you can research the proper way to SQL and tell me, I'd appreciate it.

    Oh, and my predecessor left this glass globe about the size of my fist on the desk I just inherited. Underneath was a piece of paper that said "Important! Do not lose!" I can't figure out if the paper is important or the globe is important, so I'm keeping both. Any ideas?

    @=) @=) <hide under desk>

    It has been a weird week here in "Safer at Home" land.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • Thom A wrote:

    frederico_fonseca wrote:

    is it just me or does the OP here just think that we "should" answer all his/her questions without he/she showing that he made an effort of googling for whats being asked?

    They're an admin god. Why would they need us to tell them about basic Administration? ??

    This user has been around for years. And despite the arrogance of their username, they are totally incompetent and unwilling to put forth any effort. Just walk away...

    _______________________________________________________________

    Need help? Help us help you.

    Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

    Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

  • So, how's everyone surviving the shut in?

    We've got a nice day on tap here, and while I'm putting in a couple extra hours this afternoon, I think I still ought to be able to get out on my bike and put a couple miles on.  At least it gets me fresh air and exercise.

    Getting various around-the-house projects that've been put off / ugh I don't want to go up in the attic / I'll get to it later done.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,771 through 64,785 (of 66,076 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply