Are the posted questions getting worse?

• It was very quick, and I knew about it yesterday, but didn't really do much other than give a vote to try. Still amazed it happened.

Comments, suggestions, feedback on the purchase welcome.

• So, probably not a comparatively odd thing to do, but I managed to bang out (OK, a LOT was cribbed from a script I found) a Powershell script that can run on any server to insert into a table the current size and free space of all drives on the server it runs on.  Saves the date/time it ran, the server name, then the info.

Why did I do this?

Because our "cloud" hosting provider WON'T BLOODY GIVE US THE SAME INFO from their dashboard / portal!  And when you're paying for storage by the GB, you want to track down who over-provisioned and what drives might be getting close to "maybe we need to add some storage," and not just on the SQL Servers (for which I do have alerts already for low space.)

Oh, and we don't want to wait for the request to purchase something like System Center (much less the additional server(s) we'd need) to work its' way through the process (I asked for and was approved to get SQL Monitor back in November-ish, and it STILL hasn't gotten to "OK, now lets get it from the vendor")

• There's something suspicious about your provider, who charges by the GB, not telling you how much storage you're using. Might want to have someone go over the contract to verify that they have to give you that information on request.

My current annoyance is trying to figure out how to add "last shrink time" to that drive information. Because even though db shrinking is not supposed to be a best practice, we all know it happens more often then we want it to. And there is nothing more annoying than looking at the data and seeing a sudden change in numbers (lower) that makes one have to manually calculate the space change rate. And yes, sometimes it can be figured out by date stamp, but sometimes we don't see it for various reasons...

Yeah... It's early. I'm still tired and not making a whole lot of sense. But still, get someone to check that contract to make sure there isn't something hidden in there.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Yeah, it's government for the "cloud" provider...

My team leads' gone over the contract and it's not specified in the contract.  What he's trying to collect, information-wise, is how much we're allocated and how much of that we're using, so we can reduce drive / volume sizes where possible.

The fact that we're already looking into other providers (AWSGov, AzureGov) for when the contract with the current provider runs out should tell you all you need to know about the level of "service" we get...

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

It was very quick, and I knew about it yesterday, but didn't really do much other than give a vote to try. Still amazed it happened.

It would be nice if there some sort of open project to make the content available.  Content about the content and so on.  PassApi?

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Steve Collins wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

It was very quick, and I knew about it yesterday, but didn't really do much other than give a vote to try. Still amazed it happened.

It would be nice if there some sort of open project to make the content available.  Content about the content and so on.  PassApi?

We have a forum for this (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/forum/sqlservercentral-com/the-future-of-community), but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean some sort of index or API with search for the videos? I'd ask you to start a thread and flesh this out, give some details of what you'd want to have working.

• jasona.work wrote:

Yeah, it's government for the "cloud" provider...

My team leads' gone over the contract and it's not specified in the contract.  What he's trying to collect, information-wise, is how much we're allocated and how much of that we're using, so we can reduce drive / volume sizes where possible.

The fact that we're already looking into other providers (AWSGov, AzureGov) for when the contract with the current provider runs out should tell you all you need to know about the level of "service" we get...

I see this in lots of tooling, including stuff that is built internally, where someone thinks GUI first. Adding in a way to get the data in another format is another project.

At Redgate, we've gone to API first, so when we start to add features/products/etc., it's always with a CLI, so that we have some  API working first, on which we layer a GUI, report, etc. That way, adding new formats/features is much easier and quicker. The downside, is that API management is a whole other challenge.

• Can THIS USER please be nuked.  Every 1 of his posts has been spam.

• Spam can be very tasty given the right circumstances. I especially like turkey spam, grilled.

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Spam is one thing but don't let anyone convince you to try scrapple.  It's not "the same thing" it's not even "similar" 🙂

• DesNorton wrote:

Can THIS USER please be nuked.  Every 1 of his posts has been spam.

Banned, but usually this just gets them to make a new account.

Marking/reporting at SPAM helps, as the spam engine then starts to automatically block posts.

• Steve Collins wrote:

Spam is one thing but don't let anyone convince you to try scrapple.  It's not "the same thing" it's not even "similar" 🙂

My father in-law made scrapple, and my oldest daughter loved it. I really don't remember if he made it for the younger two before he died.

I say to each their own. If you like something that others don't more power to you.

Nothing says we all have to eat the same things.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Spam is one thing but don't let anyone convince you to try scrapple.  It's not "the same thing" it's not even "similar" 🙂

My father in-law made scrapple, and my oldest daughter loved it. I really don't remember if he made it for the younger two before he died.

I say to each their own. If you like something that others don't more power to you.

How can scrapple be that bad?  Cooked up pork (admittedly offcuts) and seasonings, what could possibly go wrong?  Unless it's the same kind of thing as andouillettes; looks like a tasty porky sausagey treat, smells like fried arse.  Which is essentially what it is.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

I might try some actual homemade scrapple 🙂  The kind my Dad used to get (before my Mom banned it from entering the house) from his "buddy from Philly" not so much...  It used to come wrapped in a greasy scrap of burlap sack.  Ha, I love hearing scrapple stories

• Neil Burton wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

How can scrapple be that bad?  Cooked up pork (admittedly offcuts) and seasonings, what could possibly go wrong?  Unless it's the same kind of thing as andouillettes; looks like a tasty porky sausagey treat, smells like fried arse.  Which is essentially what it is.

A lot can go wrong.  Plenty of things.  Ground up hoofs, tails, and snouts mixed with sawdust from the butcher's floor and boiled until it congeals?  Yeah, a lot can go wrong

Viewing 15 posts - 65,416 through 65,430 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply