Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I like sausage, but not sure I'd want to taste test scrapple. Or cook it.

• Yeah, it sort of tastes like sausage... or that's how they get you to try it.  They ask you "what's your least favorite meat?"  Then tell you it sort of tastes like that.  In my case it was Spam.  When properly overcooked scrapple tastes like gritty dirt

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Apparently, I am serving SPAM too.    Just noticed this on the 2016 development forum.

In: Pentobarbital for sale https://hospitableending.com/?

By: The Dixie Flatline

I've heard of "Phenobarbitol", but not Pentobarbital.   Go figure.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Steve Collins wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

It was very quick, and I knew about it yesterday, but didn't really do much other than give a vote to try. Still amazed it happened.

Comments, suggestions, feedback on the purchase welcome.

It would be nice if there some sort of open project to make the content available.  Content about the content and so on.  PassApi?

We have a forum for this (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/forum/sqlservercentral-com/the-future-of-community), but I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean some sort of index or API with search for the videos? I'd ask you to start a thread and flesh this out, give some details of what you'd want to have working.

It depends on what the content owners want.  In the other thread it was mentioned there's no infrastructure to serve the community.  Maybe certain things could be provided pro bono or quid pro quo depending on what the content owners are looking to do.  Might there be an RFP?  Identity and access management?  Or it's dependent on what people ask for?

• I think this is something to start a discussion thread in that forum about. I am looking to put up some "free"-ish hosting of things. I have a SQL Sat site ready for launch, as soon as legal clears the way. It has all the public data I could find, which is significant.

I do have a copy of some stuff here: https://dataplatformdaysstorage.z22.web.core.windows.net/

Redgate has released videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/SQLPASSTV

DCAC is sponsoring sqlugs.com and Microsoft has their Azure Data Community.

If there is something else you think we need, please feel free to create a thread or write an RFP of what you think we need. I need to create a GitHub repo to start holding this stuff. I wanted to wait until we had a legal org, but maybe I need to do that sooner.

• That's really awesome Steve.  I know a lot of people are going to be happy you've picked up the ball with this and in this way too.  That's awesome.  It's interesting the sqlugs.com is offered by a consulting company.  Is that type of service something that would be considered for Pass?  They offers free WordPress service hmmm.  Or actually may I ask what is DCAC stand for?  At one point as a concept project we built a forum system which never got used.  It was a good system though.  It seems possible to convince people  to offer that for free I think.  It would need to be updated.  It's a really interesting SQL project imo

• DCAC is  Denny Cherry and Associates, the consulting company.

There is no "PASS" anymore. I'm going to get an independent SQL Sat org, community run, up and running. The Summit will be run by Redgate and hopefully in the same vein as the previous ones. Chapters/user groups are independent, and can do whatever they choose. Many use Meetup, some WordPress, some might do other things. We used to offer dotnetnuke sites here back in 2002/2003 to user groups because PASS didn't provide that stuff.

I don't know that I'd build something for a UG anymore. Meetup works well enough.

For SQL Sat, I do need some sort of forum place where people can suggest things, add comments, complain, criticize, praise, etc. I'll try to continue hosting here, but at some point I likely need something independent.

• Interesting news.  Thank you.  Please reach out if there's anything I could do that might help.  Regarding the forum there was never a UI built so it's currently DDL, SQL procedures, and a C# web api project.  It would be interesting to propose it as a service and if it came to be found useful that would be great.  If not it's still interesting and I've wanted to do something like this for a while too.  Different from the usual questions and answers.  We'll see

• jasona.work wrote:

Yeah, it's government for the "cloud" provider...

My team leads' gone over the contract and it's not specified in the contract.  What he's trying to collect, information-wise, is how much we're allocated and how much of that we're using, so we can reduce drive / volume sizes where possible.

The fact that we're already looking into other providers (AWSGov, AzureGov) for when the contract with the current provider runs out should tell you all you need to know about the level of "service" we get...

I guess what you’re asking for is the amount of space actually used by data pages within the space allocated to db files of your databases.

To give you such information your provider must have sysadmin access to all your databases. I don’t think your contract give them such privileges. So, even if they can retrieve this kind of data, they won’t tell you about it anyway.

And I doubt any other cloud provider would accept responsibility for the contents of your data files. It’s a totally different level of service.

• Hi folks

I can't find anywhere else to ask this, so here it is.

SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition is restricted to 24 cores. Does this mean that the licencing cost is capped at 12 2-core packs, or would you require 16 2-core packs for a server furnished with 2 x 16 core CPU's?

Many thanks.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• 2021-04-01 14_55_30-SQL_Server_2017_Licensing_guide.pdf

2021-04-01 15_03_46-SQL_Server_2017_Licensing_Datasheet.pdf

If you want it to be interpreted correctly ... ask your MS representative.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Sergiy wrote:

I guess what you’re asking for is the amount of space actually used by data pages within the space allocated to db files of your databases.

To give you such information your provider must have sysadmin access to all your databases. I don’t think your contract give them such privileges. So, even if they can retrieve this kind of data, they won’t tell you about it anyway.

And I doubt any other cloud provider would accept responsibility for the contents of your data files. It’s a totally different level of service.

Nope, that information I can get and we only need that about once a year.

What we're wanting and not getting is the information for the various drives in the various servers (SQL, web, file,) so the C, D, etc drives.  The BEST they can give us is that an agent that runs once a day writes the info to a site (which I don't have access to,) overwriting the previous days information, and maintaining NO historical information...

(The fact that I just saw this reply today, shows how frequently I've been on here for the last several months, sorry Steve)

• jasona.work wrote:

Sergiy wrote:

Nope, that information I can get and we only need that about once a year.

What we're wanting and not getting is the information for the various drives in the various servers (SQL, web, file,) so the C, D, etc drives.  The BEST they can give us is that an agent that runs once a day writes the info to a site (which I don't have access to,) overwriting the previous days information, and maintaining NO historical information...

(The fact that I just saw this reply today, shows how frequently I've been on here for the last several months, sorry Steve)

Hi Jason. Would this help you? https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/time-and-space-how-to-monitor-drive-space-in-sql-server

• ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

I can't find anywhere else to ask this, so here it is. SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition is restricted to 24 cores. Does this mean that the licencing cost is capped at 12 2-core packs, or would you require 16 2-core packs for a server furnished with 2 x 16 core CPU's?

Many thanks.

I’m almost positive you have to license all the cores even if you don’t use them.

I had to deal with that false assumption by my predecessors 7 years ago.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 15 posts - 65,431 through 65,445 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply