Are the posted questions getting worse?

• BrainDonor wrote:

That reminds me of a poster I saw last week.

"Kids are like farts - mine are amazing and yours disgust me".

My version: "Trump is like a fart, stings at first but then fades away..."

😎

• Keeping with the subject...

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Keeping with the subject...

I almost choked on this one!

😎

Just managed not to spill any of my beverage on the keyboard, poor cat though, was in the wrong place at the wrong time

• Haven't been active in quite a bit here, but hope everyone is well and stayed healthy through 2020.

Glad to see the tone of THE THREAD hasn't changed.

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Let us uphold our standard on this site, assumptions and speculations have no place on this top quality forums!

😎

Just have a look at this:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/decimal-places-2#post-3828162

There are way too many threads like that one and I've taken to just not even getting involved on such threads anymore.  It's a shame that it's come to that but, lordy, who has the time anymore?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This is my new favorite.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/tuning-query-2

Wow.  Just Wow.

Michael L John

• My favorite of all time actually has nothing to do with SQL Server.  It was a post (wish I kept the link) about an HP printer tech that was trying to help someone with a printer problem.  To make a really long story short, the person claimed the printer wouldn't print Yellow stuff and the tech was trying to help over the phone.  After many calls amounting to a couple of hours, it suddenly dawned on the tech as to what might be wrong and asked, "Ma'am... what color paper are you trying to print on"?  The answer was, of course, "Yellow".

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• WayneS wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

I wonder if the virus was the cause of PASS's demise, or was it the final nail in the coffin?

I hope that it was just the first, but I fear it's the second.

This is public stuff I've talked about in the past, so no new info, but maybe all new in one place.

We had a balanced budget last year. In short, Summit made enough money to keep PASS going. We also had plans for Pass Pro finally in place (we'd been working on it for a while). We were going into 2020 with Summit in a new location that lots of people were excited about, Houston, and a new revenue stream we were going to build. Everything looked fantastic.

However, our principal income was Summit. 93%. And, what's more, that income doesn't arrive in September. It takes all year to arrive. As soon as the lockdowns hit, revenue went to ZERO. For weeks, no one registered.

During that period, we scrambled. First, we got out of our commitments to Houston, because if we had to pay off the venue and the hotels there because of a cancellation, the organization would have been out of business in the spring. Then, we had to get a source of revenue, immediately. Virtual Summit was born. It made money (as in more money came in than it cost to put on), but not enough. We also launched Pass Pro, a little sooner than we had planned, but it was part of our attempt to keep things going. It didn't make enough either.

It was Covid. The lockdowns. The fact that we were still dependent on an in-person event for fund raising. While we knew we needed to diversify, and were doing it, we weren't done. We had no idea, nor did anyone else, that all travel would be banned across most of the globe. If we had known, sure, we would have done other stuff.

For what it's worth, my local radio club has always counted on an in-person event for fund raising. Can't happen and we're looking at the club going out of business.

Cancelling the world has repercussions.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Doggone it. Silly thing took me to an old post on the thread and I responded a second time. Sorry. I'll leave it up.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Doggone it. Silly thing took me to an old post on the thread and I responded a second time. Sorry. I'll leave it up.

It's tough getting old.

Michael L John

• Michael L John wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Doggone it. Silly thing took me to an old post on the thread and I responded a second time. Sorry. I'll leave it up.

It's tough getting old.

Actually, it's a joy.  I can safely ignore anything anyone says and they think it's because I've become hard of hearing.  My favorite T-Shirt is now the one that says "Old men are NOT hard of hearing... we're just tired of listening".  😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Michael L John wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

It's tough getting old.

TRUTH!

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

How does it feel to be living it?

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Any newly-elected leader should have to watch the entire West Wing series. That was an amazing show.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,311 through 65,325 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply