Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • BrainDonor wrote:

    Any newly-elected leader should have to watch the entire West Wing series. That was an amazing show.

    Certainly was. 15 years was about the right time to wait to watch and enjoy all over again. Very thought provoking, I even read the Constitution a few weeks ago after watching a particularly interesting episode.

    Madam Secretary was quite a good second too.

    "Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

  • BrainDonor wrote:

    Any newly-elected leader should have to watch the entire West Wing series. That was an amazing show.

    Should they also watch House of Cards? Maybe Scandal.

    I wonder if Biden watched Veep.

    Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

    How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    There's a supposed Chinese curse: "May you have an interesting life"

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

  • david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    A little traumatizing. I have family members who are Trump supporters (cannot figure out why as his policies are directly affecting their standard of living in a bad way) and I'm hoping none of them were stupid enough to be part of the initial rally and the chaos that followed.

    Also, very PO'd at the Republicans who suddenly have problems with Trump as if they didn't see this coming. SERIOUSLY? As if!

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    A little traumatizing. I have family members who are Trump supporters (cannot figure out why as his policies are directly affecting their standard of living in a bad way) and I'm hoping none of them were stupid enough to be part of the initial rally and the chaos that followed.

    Also, very PO'd at the Republicans who suddenly have problems with Trump as if they didn't see this coming. SERIOUSLY? As if!

    Exactly my thoughts, even the hoping some relatives were not part of it.

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

  • below86 wrote:

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    A little traumatizing. I have family members who are Trump supporters (cannot figure out why as his policies are directly affecting their standard of living in a bad way) and I'm hoping none of them were stupid enough to be part of the initial rally and the chaos that followed.

    Also, very PO'd at the Republicans who suddenly have problems with Trump as if they didn't see this coming. SERIOUSLY? As if!

    Exactly my thoughts, even the hoping some relatives were not part of it.

    The folks raiding the Capital buildings were just some nuts, probably qanons and boogaloos. I'm not going to lose my relationships with conservative friends and family because of some nuts. If you wonder why people vote for trump, just ask. I tell them why I vote otherwise if they want to know. The thing is, political policy is subjective and unproveable, and some issues held very deeply by folks can be used to wedge in policies that have nothing to do with the issues these folks hold very dear, but politics is politics.

    Still, I think the scene was set in 2016 when the GOP primaries concluded and we ended up with you know who and heck for that matter, I hear that about the DNC's choice too. Was the USA really that short on credible candidates that we had to go the way we did?

    On the other hand, I've held a theory that modern opportunities reward the most intelligent and capable people to an extend that, well, what high achieving thoughtful individual looks at a career in politics as something they want to do anymore when there are so many more interesting pursuits available? Heh for that matter, look at how we as a citizentry treat politicians we don't like, especially during campaign time? I mean who wants that mess? "Hey man I don't like your policies, let me vandalize your house."

  • x wrote:

    below86 wrote:

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    A little traumatizing. I have family members who are Trump supporters (cannot figure out why as his policies are directly affecting their standard of living in a bad way) and I'm hoping none of them were stupid enough to be part of the initial rally and the chaos that followed.

    Also, very PO'd at the Republicans who suddenly have problems with Trump as if they didn't see this coming. SERIOUSLY? As if!

    Exactly my thoughts, even the hoping some relatives were not part of it.

    The folks raiding the Capital buildings were just some nuts, probably qanons and boogaloos. I'm not going to lose my relationships with conservative friends and family because of some nuts. If you wonder why people vote for trump, just ask. I tell them why I vote otherwise if they want to know. The thing is, political policy is subjective and unproveable, and some issues held very deeply by folks can be used to wedge in policies that have nothing to do with the issues these folks hold very dear, but politics is politics.

    Still, I think the scene was set in 2016 when the GOP primaries concluded and we ended up with you know who and heck for that matter, I hear that about the DNC's choice too. Was the USA really that short on credible candidates that we had to go the way we did?

    On the other hand, I've held a theory that modern opportunities reward the most intelligent and capable people to an extend that, well, what high achieving thoughtful individual looks at a career in politics as something they want to do anymore when there are so many more interesting pursuits available? Heh for that matter, look at how we as a citizentry treat politicians we don't like, especially during campaign time? I mean who wants that mess? "Hey man I don't like your policies, let me vandalize your house."

    Very good points. Further to that, I've thought for decades that having the mindset of wanting to be a politician almost marks you as someone unsuitable to hold office, as a generalisation of course: there are many notable exceptions and many with sense of civic duty who do not get, or want, the limelight.

    I sometimes think that public office should be a little like jury service, just subject to some basic intelligence and comprehension testing.

    I still find the US constitution a remarkable document (I actually read it, amendments and all a few weeks ago, inspired by some of the episodes of West Wing). It truly has been put to the test recently, but proved resilient.

    "Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

  • Yes, I voted for Trump in 2016. First, he wasn't my first choice. Second, there was no way on Gods green earth I was voting for an unindicted, unconvicted felon for President. I am sorry if there are those of you who disagree, but Hillary Clinton and her entire staff that worked for her when she was Secretary of State should be be in prison for mishandling classified information. Period. Any of us on this thread or forum had done what she and her staff did would be prison. We would also, upon release, more than likely unable to obtain any sort of government clearance. And her saying she wasn't told, horse manure. Anyone who has a security clearance goes through mandatory annual training. If we don't complete the training, we lose are clearance and more than likely our job. We need to hold all government officials to this standard, elected and appointed. Period.

    I don't agree with many things Trump has said, but that is probably true of many people. I do, however, know that I have done better under four years of Trump than 8 years under Obama. I am not looking forward to what the next two years have instore for us.

     

  • Oh, one other thing.  I wish people were as concerned about who spends 20, 30, 40 years in the US House of Representatives and US Senate as they do about who serves 4 or 8 years in the White House.

     

  • Further to that, I've thought for decades that having the mindset of wanting to be a politician almost marks you as someone unsuitable to hold office, as a generalisation of course: there are many notable exceptions and many with sense of civic duty who do not get, or want, the limelight.

    I seem to be reading more historical accounts, and I seem to recall that back in the 1700's (maybe 1800's?) it was actually considered bad form to campaign for nomination to major offices, you had to rather sit around, be coy and play hard to get and almost be "drafted" by your party to be the nominee. How times have changed!

     

  • "I will not accept if nominated and will not serve if elected."

    -- William Tecumseh Sherman

     

  • Lynn Pettis wrote:

    Yes, I voted for Trump in 2016. First, he wasn't my first choice. Second, there was no way on Gods green earth I was voting for an unindicted, unconvicted felon for President. I am sorry if there are those of you who disagree, but Hillary Clinton and her entire staff that worked for her when she was Secretary of State should be be in prison for mishandling classified information. Period. Any of us on this thread or forum had done what she and her staff did would be prison. We would also, upon release, more than likely unable to obtain any sort of government clearance. And her saying she wasn't told, horse manure. Anyone who has a security clearance goes through mandatory annual training. If we don't complete the training, we lose are clearance and more than likely our job. We need to hold all government officials to this standard, elected and appointed. Period.

    I don't agree with many things Trump has said, but that is probably true of many people. I do, however, know that I have done better under four years of Trump than 8 years under Obama. I am not looking forward to what the next two years have instore for us.

    So many lies, I see why you like the 'dictator'.  Why isn't he held to the same standards?  If it was a democ0art in office and tried to pull a coup like T*** did, the republicans would be loosing their mind and would have already impeached the president.

    Open your eyes, don't be sheep.

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

  • below86 wrote:

    Lynn Pettis wrote:

    Yes, I voted for Trump in 2016. First, he wasn't my first choice. Second, there was no way on Gods green earth I was voting for an unindicted, unconvicted felon for President. I am sorry if there are those of you who disagree, but Hillary Clinton and her entire staff that worked for her when she was Secretary of State should be be in prison for mishandling classified information. Period. Any of us on this thread or forum had done what she and her staff did would be prison. We would also, upon release, more than likely unable to obtain any sort of government clearance. And her saying she wasn't told, horse manure. Anyone who has a security clearance goes through mandatory annual training. If we don't complete the training, we lose are clearance and more than likely our job. We need to hold all government officials to this standard, elected and appointed. Period.

    I don't agree with many things Trump has said, but that is probably true of many people. I do, however, know that I have done better under four years of Trump than 8 years under Obama. I am not looking forward to what the next two years have instore for us.

    So many lies, I see why you like the 'dictator'.  Why isn't he held to the same standards?  If it was a democ0art in office and tried to pull a coup like T*** did, the republicans would be loosing their mind and would have already impeached the president.

    Open your eyes, don't be sheep.

     

    Says the sheep.  He is as much a dictator as Former President Obama.

    I don't agree with his actions after the election, but I do agree that there needs to be an investigation into the election, not to over turn it but to ensure that the problems that occurred this year don't happen again in future years.

    And, by the way, no previous President had to put up with fours years of obstruction like President Trump.  The Democrats didn't accept the results of the 2016 election, so how is that any different from this year?

     

  • x wrote:

    below86 wrote:

    Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    david.edwards 76768 wrote:

    Don't want to turn this political, but thinking of you guys on the left side of the pond. I just finished re-watching the excellent West Wing two days ago after a 15 year wait, then was glued to 24 hour news last night. Fact can truly be stranger than fiction sometimes.

    How does it feel to be living it?

    A little traumatizing. I have family members who are Trump supporters (cannot figure out why as his policies are directly affecting their standard of living in a bad way) and I'm hoping none of them were stupid enough to be part of the initial rally and the chaos that followed.

    Also, very PO'd at the Republicans who suddenly have problems with Trump as if they didn't see this coming. SERIOUSLY? As if!

    Exactly my thoughts, even the hoping some relatives were not part of it.

    The folks raiding the Capital buildings were just some nuts, probably qanons and boogaloos. I'm not going to lose my relationships with conservative friends and family because of some nuts. If you wonder why people vote for trump, just ask. I tell them why I vote otherwise if they want to know. The thing is, political policy is subjective and unproveable, and some issues held very deeply by folks can be used to wedge in policies that have nothing to do with the issues these folks hold very dear, but politics is politics.

    Still, I think the scene was set in 2016 when the GOP primaries concluded and we ended up with you know who and heck for that matter, I hear that about the DNC's choice too. Was the USA really that short on credible candidates that we had to go the way we did?

    On the other hand, I've held a theory that modern opportunities reward the most intelligent and capable people to an extend that, well, what high achieving thoughtful individual looks at a career in politics as something they want to do anymore when there are so many more interesting pursuits available? Heh for that matter, look at how we as a citizentry treat politicians we don't like, especially during campaign time? I mean who wants that mess? "Hey man I don't like your policies, let me vandalize your house."

     

    The issue is that increasingly over the decades the republican party has had to become a more and more two faced party.  On the one hand there are people who want small government with low taxes.  On the hand to get the votes needed they've hand to increasingly politicize and pander to extremely emotional topics.  Trump and specifically what happened Wednesday is a result of what happens when you pander to the latter a little too much.

  • Lynn Pettis wrote:

    I don't agree with many things Trump has said, but that is probably true of many people. I do, however, know that I have done better under four years of Trump than 8 years under Obama. I am not looking forward to what the next two years have instore for us.

     

    The only benefit I got from trump was a $1000 bonus check 4 years ago or so because of his tax cuts.  And that really doesn't do anything to offset the absolute shit show the last year has been under his gross mismanagement of the pandemic.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,326 through 65,340 (of 65,832 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply