Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson, sorry to hear about your crystall ball. I hope it cristallizes again. Perhaps with the hourglass bbq of Steve.

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson, sorry to hear about your crystall ball. I hope it cristallizes again. Perhaps with the hourglass bbq of Steve.

This is how it looks like, kind of like it though...

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Jo Pattyn wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson, sorry to hear about your crystall ball. I hope it cristallizes again. Perhaps with the hourglass bbq of Steve.

This is how it looks like, kind of like it though...

I should sue for patent infringement... that's what my morning constitutional looks like.  If I swallow a handful of toothpicks the night before, they come out complete with the 3 legged varnished stands. 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• 2019 is finally out for general release: SQL Server 2019 is now generally available

Time to start looking at the specs and what it really includes in the Standard Licences, as I got the green light on replacing our 2012 server last month. Be nice to finally get access to some of the more recent tools (though I'm not excited for the new Cardinality Estimator).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

2019 is finally out for general release: SQL Server 2019 is now generally available

Time to start looking at the specs and what it really includes in the Standard Licences, as I got the green light on replacing our 2012 server last month. Be nice to finally get access to some of the more recent tools (though I'm not excited for the new Cardinality Estimator).

Trying to decide if it might be worth it to step us down from Enterprise to Standard edition.  The main reason we're on EE is we're required to use TDE and if that's going to be available in Std, well...

The 4 core limit isn't really a big deal for us, none of my servers (currently) have more than that, the 128GB of RAM also isn't a big deal as my largest is 32GB.

So being able to cut the licensing costs in half, well, that'd be a nice feather in the cap.

• Thom A wrote:

2019 is finally out for general release: SQL Server 2019 is now generally available

Anyone understand the life cycle. I thought MS were stopping SP in favour of CU but the life cycle is dependant on SP!

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

Anyone understand the life cycle. I thought MS were stopping SP in favour of CU but the life cycle is dependant on SP!

Looks like it CUs again as Servicing Update for SQL Server 2019 RTM makes references to GDR and CU updates only:

After installation of this Servicing Update, you will still have the option to install the next SQL Server 2019 CU or GDR servicing release.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• With 2017+, there are no SPs. The lifecycle will always be on the RTM release + CU/GDR

• Thom A wrote:

David Burrows wrote:

Looks like it CUs again as Servicing Update for SQL Server 2019 RTM makes references to GDR and CU updates only:

After installation of this Servicing Update, you will still have the option to install the next SQL Server 2019 CU or GDR servicing release.

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

With 2017+, there are no SPs. The lifecycle will always be on the RTM release + CU/GDR

Thanks for that. It looks easier for 2017+.

According to MS site 2016 will end with SP2 (7/13/2021) unless they release another SP or when the product's life cycle ends, whenever that is.

Just trying to work out how long I have before planning yet another upgrade.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Well, I'm becoming a happier camper...

Sunday I officially flip from being a "Term" appointment (and thus needing to essentially compete for my job every couple years,) to a "Perm" appointment (meaning, well, I can stay put until I'm dead, retired, or I'd bet hit by a RIF.)  So that's a good thing for me.

Today I had time to do some testing on my homelab, we're migrating over the next couple months to the "cloud" and to do this all the various logins, Agent jobs, Linked Servers, and my nemesis, SSIS packages will need to be migrated.  Logins are easy, plenty of scripts to do it with the passwords for SQL Logins, took the time to play with the dbatools.io PowerShell module, and I *WILL* find a way to get that on my servers for the migration!  WAY to easy.

SSIS was probably my larger concern, because we've got some developers using the SSIS Catalog.  Either I wasn't aware of it, or it's new-ish, but there's a way to backup the SSISDB and restore it to the new server and not needing to do anything wonky like either exporting / importing all the packages, or uploading them from source.  Sure, people will need to dive in to change connections and the like, but the smart ones will have set that up as parameters and be done in a day.

It's the folks that still have their packages in MSDB that are going to have...

"Fun"

For certain values of "fun."

• jasona.work wrote:

Well, I'm becoming a happier camper...

Sunday I officially flip from being a "Term" appointment (and thus needing to essentially compete for my job every couple years,) to a "Perm" appointment (meaning, well, I can stay put until I'm dead, retired, or I'd bet hit by a RIF.)  So that's a good thing for me.

Today I had time to do some testing on my homelab, we're migrating over the next couple months to the "cloud" and to do this all the various logins, Agent jobs, Linked Servers, and my nemesis, SSIS packages will need to be migrated.  Logins are easy, plenty of scripts to do it with the passwords for SQL Logins, took the time to play with the dbatools.io PowerShell module, and I *WILL* find a way to get that on my servers for the migration!  WAY to easy.

SSIS was probably my larger concern, because we've got some developers using the SSIS Catalog.  Either I wasn't aware of it, or it's new-ish, but there's a way to backup the SSISDB and restore it to the new server and not needing to do anything wonky like either exporting / importing all the packages, or uploading them from source.  Sure, people will need to dive in to change connections and the like, but the smart ones will have set that up as parameters and be done in a day.

It's the folks that still have their packages in MSDB that are going to have...

"Fun"

For certain values of "fun."

Major congrats on the "term" to "perm" thing.  They should rename the "term" position to "Damocles".

As for migrating SSIS packages, I've discovered a sure fire way to not have any problems... don't have any. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Major congrats on the "term" to "perm" thing.  They should rename the "term" position to "Damocles".

As for migrating SSIS packages, I've discovered a sure fire way to not have any problems... don't have any. 😀

Thanks Jeff!

You know, you and one of the developers would get along great, he's as averse to SSIS as you are!  🙂

But, he's comfortable supporting the methods he does use, so I'm not going to stop him.  Others like using SSIS, so, same thing.

• jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Thanks Jeff!

You know, you and one of the developers would get along great, he's as averse to SSIS as you are!  🙂

But, he's comfortable supporting the methods he does use, so I'm not going to stop him.  Others like using SSIS, so, same thing.

I've got to say it again... SSIS is actually a pretty good tool and I'm not totally adverse to people using it if they understand the consequences of its use during events like migrations.  What I loath about it is how people use it.  It seems there are a lot of people that use it because they don't actually know how to use some rather simple T-SQL to do the things they want to do and so they end up calling C# and a ton of other "external" programming to do the job.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Shifting gears a bit, have a look at the original post on the following thread (no need to pile on.. I'm just confused) ...

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/conversion-failed-when-converting-the-varchar-value-to-data-type-int-4

The OP posted this early on in the thread...

I am started my new carrer as data analyst using SQL.

The error that the OP posted was this...

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'Mario Rossi' to data type int.

The OP's question was this...

Please anyone can tell me where i wrong trying to solve it ?

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't a "data analyst" be able to actually figure out that the error is a data type mismatch (especially since it says there was a conversion error between the data types), analyze the data/datatype of the underlying table, and be able to figure this out on his own?  Or am I truly mistaken in what a "data analyst", new or otherwise, should be capable of?  Do data analysts truly not need to understand data at this level and my expectations of someone holding the job title are simply too high?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit, have a look at the original post on the following thread (no need to pile on.. I'm just confused) ...

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/conversion-failed-when-converting-the-varchar-value-to-data-type-int-4

The OP posted this early on in the thread...

I am started my new carrer as data analyst using SQL.

The error that the OP posted was this...

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'Mario Rossi' to data type int.

The OP's question was this...

Please anyone can tell me where i wrong trying to solve it ?

Maybe it's just me but shouldn't a "data analyst" be able to actually figure out that the error is a data type mismatch (especially since it says there was a conversion error between the data types), analyze the data/datatype of the underlying table, and be able to figure this out on his own?  Or am I truly mistaken in what a "data analyst", new or otherwise, should be capable of?  Do data analysts truly not need to understand data at this level and my expectations of someone holding the job title are simply too high?

Agreed.  To make matters worse, he add screenshots of the values in the 2 tables, and it is visually obvious that text does not remotely resemble the numeric value.

IMG-20191112

Viewing 15 posts - 64,141 through 64,155 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply