Are the posted questions getting worse?

• To be honest, there's something wrong with such people's mentality.  As a good online friend of mine once said, "It's probably 'cuz their mommas didn't know how to cook with salt: 😀

I feel sorry for the companies that some of these people work for.  Better, yet, I feel bad for their company's customers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Because I'm studying for my CISSP, I had to put my 2 cents in on this subject.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A wrote:

You do have to wonder if someone is maybe a little out of their depth trying to use SQL Server, when they post photos (not screenshots) of computer's screen. One would hope that they at least have awareness of the print screen key. ??

They might, but they might not know the various ways to save the image.

I'm a little old-school. I open up paint, paste the image and save it there if I have no other graphics program available on my "machine of the moment."

Not everyone thinks of that.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Because I'm studying for my CISSP, I had to put my 2 cents in on this subject.

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I'm sorry you see my response as insulting.

I think you were the only one that ended up insulted in the end Brandie. You tried, and I do agree with the points you raised. I'll follow your lead on staying clear as well I think.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I don't actually feel insulted. It was the way the response was worded with the whole "none of your business" and "you're wrong" comments that made me think the OP was insulted. The wording used in that response was very defensive.

Oh, well. Whatever.

• Just wait until the company has a WTF moment and you know what hits the fan.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Because I'm studying for my CISSP, I had to put my 2 cents in on this subject.

Best of luck with that test, Brandie.  I haven't done it, but I know 2 people who have. One passed and the other missed it be 1 question on their first time through.  They tell me there's a lot about networking and firewalls and that it helps if you've worked with them before.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Best of luck with that test, Brandie.  I haven't done it, but I know 2 people who have. One passed and the other missed it be 1 question on their first time through.  They tell me there's a lot about networking and firewalls and that it helps if you've worked with them before.

Thanks. I did study networking and firewalls back when I got my SQL 2000 certs. After studying for SQL, I was literally 2 exams shy of the regular windows stuff, so I studied and passed them. Unfortunately, enough has changed that I need to sit down and refresh all that information in my head, clear out all the outdated junk.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  Brandie Tarvin. Reason: I can't spell "exams" today

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Thanks. I did study networking and firewalls back when I got my SQL 2000 certs. After studying for SQL, I was literally 2 exames shy of the regular windows stuff, so I studied and passed them. Unfortunately, enough has changed that I need to sit down and refresh all that information in my head, clear out all the outdated junk.

Just don't clear out all the outdated junk. I find that knowing how the outdated stuff works gives insight into modern-day problems.  So many modern problems are just old problems disguised as new problems.  From what you describe, your networking knowledge should be of great help to you this time around.

I think the hardest part of a security exam has got to be the many, many different threats, some of which shouldn't even exist in the first place.  There's new threats being invented all the time and some of them are really good ones.

• From what I understand of the CISSP, the exam is a "lawyers" exam more than it is a "tech person's" exam. That's what makes it so difficult for a lot of people. The study materials and the exam actually word concepts using almost circular logic and obtuse phrases.

For example:

"When an organization uses an external provider for managed services (for example, a cloud service, or a contractor that maintains the organization's data center), the parties must establish a mutual understanding of exactly what will be provided, under which terms, and at what times. This should include a detailed description of both performance and security functions. As with other projects, the organization has to establish a set of minimum requirements for this effort to be successful; in this type of case, however, the organization is not usually able to dictate requirements unilaterally and must instead cooperate with the provider."

vs Wikipedia

"A service-level agreement is a commitment between a service provider and a client. Particular aspects of the service – quality, availability, responsibilities – are agreed between the service provider and the service user. "

• Several months ago, someone took over development of our SSRS reports from me.  I had set up all of my reports using shared data sources.  When she took over, she decided to use embedded data sources.  Needless to say, we ran into problems when we tried to deploy to our CERT environment.  After reviewing, I told her that she should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use shared data sources and we finally got corrected reports deployed.  Today, she sent me those same reports to deploy to PROD.  They were back to embedded data sources.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Does she have a business case for changing the data sources? Or did she just do it because that's what she knows?

• Sounds like a change that happened at a previous employer after I left.  We had setup numerous SSIS packages using dynamic configurations so we could develop and deploy them to different environments without having to modify them with each move.  The person I worked with in doing that took over my position when I left.  The person hired to fill his position changed the packages so that each move to a different environment or server now requires changes to the packages.  Talk about a step backwards.

• Have you ever encountered some code that makes you feel that you need wine instead of coffee to fix it? Or is it just me?

I'm working on a code that has scalar functions inside scalar function inside scalar functions and I'm not sure if I'll get to the bottom of this. The worst part will be testing.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

Have you ever encountered some code that makes you feel that you need wine instead of coffee to fix it? Or is it just me?

I encountered this code to date stamp a file, fortunately I didn't have to fix it just replace it.

for /F "tokens=2,3,4 delims=/ " %%i in ('date/t') do set y=%%k
    for /F "tokens=2,3,4 delims=/ " %%i in ('date/t') do set d=%%k%%i%%j
    for /F "tokens=5-8 delims=:. " %%i in ('echo.^| time ^| find "current" ') do set t=%%i%%j
    set t=%t%_
    if "%t:~3,1%"=="_" set t=0%t%
    set t=%t:~0,4%
    set "theFilename=%d%_%1%.txt"
    echo %theFilename%

Viewing 15 posts - 63,436 through 63,450 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply