Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Quoting is a big challenge with styling and code. Really, I'd urge you to avoid hitting quote every single time.

Think it would be advantageous if we could preview our post before submitting. I realise that's a big ask, however, when doing some complex quotes it would mean we could hit preview, see if it looks "okay", and adjust if needed. Saves us having to edit the post each time and untick the "log this edit" box.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• So today started my long weekend, got some fun plans in place, but what did I do?

I picked up my work phone to glance at my e-mails...

To find out that the VMWare guys need to shut down one of my servers (QA, thankfully) to try to resolve a weird VMWare issue.  A server that is currently being used to run a demo for the Commanding General (yes, actual General in the Army.)

However, am I stressing about this?  Nope.  My backup guy in the office can easily handle shutting down the server (once the demo is done,) and bringing it back up.  So I sent him a text apologizing that this would happen when I'm off (not like *I* planned it though, heck, I didn't even know about the demo until I saw the e-mails)

As for my plans for the weekend?  I'm not changing anything!

In 4.5hrs from now, I'll be waiting for the opening bars of the Marvel Studios theme as Avengers:Endgame starts rolling

Tomorrow morning the wife and I will be skipping town for the weekend for my birthday.

• Enjoy Endgame. I fly to the UK Sat and might go see it Sun if there's a nearby theater. So my weekend is 13 hours in planes and then working on prepping for Tuesday's SQL in the City.

Quoting is a big challenge with styling and code. Really, I'd urge you to avoid hitting quote every single time. In this thread, it is often helpful, but in most threads, it doesn't add anything. The previous code, the notes, they're just extraneous repeats. If you like seeing the reply you're responding to, hit quote, but delete the quote part before posting. I'd really like to a) get the quotes to format in the reply text box b) get some way to see the post you're replying to outside of a quote.

Heh... lordy, Steve.  They used to work just fine and are very necessary when there's a half dozen posts between your reply and what you're replying to. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Quoting is a big challenge with styling and code. Really, I'd urge you to avoid hitting quote every single time. In this thread, it is often helpful, but in most threads, it doesn't add anything. The previous code, the notes, they're just extraneous repeats. If you like seeing the reply you're responding to, hit quote, but delete the quote part before posting. I'd really like to a) get the quotes to format in the reply text box b) get some way to see the post you're replying to outside of a quote.

Heh... lordy, Steve.  They used to work just fine and are very necessary when there's a half dozen posts between your reply and what you're replying to. 😉

So much I could say...but I've bashed this new version enough.  At least for now...;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I would say that it'd be more important to add a scrolling bar to allow code to extend horizontally instead of moving to the next line when the space is not enough.

Even with previous versions of the forums, some people wouldn't be able to handle quoting correctly.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thought there was an issue for this, Luis, but don't see one in the various code style items. Added this.

Thought there was an issue for this, Luis, but don't see one in the various code style items. Added this.

You mean probably mean this one (Wide code doesn't look good), Steve?

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• That's the report, but I have to find the issue in Github for tracking. Didn't see one, or someone named it strangely. I just added a new one.

• Sounds good. Horizontal scroll bars will definitely be a welcome addition.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Heh... I found my pre-migration avatar on this site.  It's not that it didn't "come" over.  It's that it's an animated .GIF and the avatar on this site doesn't like those.

I also notice that no articles have "attachments" (formally known as the "Resource" section) anymore.  Appears to be the same issue on the forums, as well.   I hope they can fix that pretty soon.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Honestly, at first I was stating that the OP probably shouldn't be trying to decrypt the data without permission in jest (one would hope that they are asking because they just can't get the syntax right), but this user really was (effectively) asking "How do I decrypt all of our user's passwords?" In truth, I find it a little terrifying that someone is so obviously asking.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thom A wrote:

Honestly, at first I was stating that the OP probably shouldn't be trying to decrypt the data without permission in jest (one would hope that they are asking because they just can't get the syntax right), but this user really was (effectively) asking "How do I decrypt all of our user's passwords?" In truth, I find it a little terrifying that someone is so obviously asking.

Terrifying yes, but not at all surprised. That is clearly a cowboy shop this person is allowed to do anything and everything and this is the first time they have run into security protocols keeping them from having all the keys to the kingdom.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Terrifying yes, but not at all surprised. That is clearly a cowboy shop this person is allowed to do anything and everything and this is the first time they have run into security protocols keeping them from having all the keys to the kingdom.

Must admit, I'm not surprised either, but it does serve as a further reminder of how bad things still are in a lot of places. It seems that that people don't really "care", or that the methods they're using to solve the problem doesn't really solve the problem; it just makes it a different vulnerability.

It's just like the amount of questions you see with code vulnerable to injection. One would have hoped that people would know how to correctly write a parametrised statement by now, and that people are being taught properly, however, they clearly are not.

I suppose, on the other hand, these people are very likely going to learn the hard way the consequences of their poor decisions or lack of knowledge, as the fines from a breach are far worse than they ever were. Most of the one's I seem to hear about are due to injection attacks; but then I do work with Databases so that should be to be expected. 🙂

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 63,421 through 63,435 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply