Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Congratulations Jeff! Well deserved award!

I know I have learned much from you over the years.

• ALZDBA (9/14/2011)

We get to hear "Ho, ho, hoo" at SQLPASS 2011 !!!!

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Exceptional+DBA+Awards/75988/

Congratulations Jeff !!

Congratulations! Well deserved!

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Congratulations to Jeff, well-deserved, although don't you call yourself a developer, not a DBA?:-D

• Congrats, Jeff!

-- Kit

• ALZDBA (9/14/2011)

Congratulations Jeff !!

Very well deserved, Jeff!!

Thank you for you continous help. I've learned a lot from your posts and articles.

PS: Enjoy Seattle!!!!!!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• ALZDBA (9/14/2011)

Congratulations Jeff !!

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Congrats Jeff. I can't think of a better person than you for this.

Thank you for, well, being you. That's how you earned it!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• GSquared (9/14/2011)

I doubt anyone is still interested, but yesterday, the data about poverty in the US was updated. The stats are bad (thank you incompetent/malignant federal government and Federal Reserve Bank), but, as per prior discussions on The Thread, they're also being exaggerated.

Summarized data here: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/09/13/morning-bell-surprising-facts-about-americas-poor/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Morning%2BBell

It has links to the detailed reports.

Some interesting details:

•80 percent of poor households have air conditioning

•Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks

•Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite television

•Two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR

•Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers

•More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation

•43 percent have Internet access

•One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD television

•One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo

2009 statistics from the U.S. Department of Agriculture [show] that 96 percent of poor parents stated that their children were never hungry at any time during the year because they could not afford food, 83 percent of poor families reported having enough food to eat, and over the course of a year, only 4 percent of poor persons become temporarily homeless, with 42 percent of poor households actually owning their own homes. ... The average poor American has more living space than the average Swede or German.

So, despite anecdotes and propaganda to the contrary, poverty in the US, while a problem needing to be solved, is very, very relative, and is quite comfortable compared to poverty, or even "average income" in much of the world.

Approximately 46.2-million Americans are in poverty per Census. Per Agriculture, 83% of those report having enough food to eat. That's still 17% reporting not having enough. Of course, "enough" is a subjective judgement, and all that, but 17% of 46.2-million is still 7.9-million without enough to eat. Needs work. 4% homeless is 1.8-million. That's unacceptable in this country. 60% of homeless men are veterans. If you want data on how to help, check out http://www.nationalhomeless.org/index.html.

A few important things to point out. The 42% "owning" their homes, means they have a mortgage, not that they own them outright. if 92% say their kids never went hungry, but 83% say they all have enough food, that means some parents are going hungry to feel their kids. And self reporting always understates this kind of thing because of social stigma. No-one wants to admit they can't provide food. Also, how many of those kids didn't go hungry because of WIC, School lunches and breakfasts, etc... And again "enough" probably means many of them miss a meal.

As for the list of what they have, think of context. 3/4 have a car or truck and 31% have 2. Now think about this country, if you don't live in one of the major cities, you need that to be able to work, get food, etc... And what's the quality of the vehicle? Still sound so impressive if you know it is a 15 year old beater?

Only 43 percent have internet access? When the internet has become so important for learning, news and finding work, that's terrible. Many states have shifted unemployment and other social services to primarily internet based, which means if they don't have internet access they have to at least get to the library. Good thing 3/4 have a car.

As for the rest, DVD Player: $50 VCR? Seriously? $10 Used game system $100, The TV is something people save for and once they have it, they keep it for 20 years or more. Honestly, the listing of meager physical posessions that poor people have as though it means they arent' "really" poor sounds like "How dare they have anything!"

Is it "quite comfortable" compared to living in the squalor of some truly poor nations? Perhaps, but is that really what the USA is shooting for? At least we're better than letting people starve in the street? The poor face worse education, less personal safety, low food security, no financial buffer in case of emergencies and huge drains on their time to do what you or I can get done in moments because we have reliable cars, can afford gas and have internet access in our homes.

The poor in this country are fortunate that there are quite a few charities that help them and that there are government programs that give them some help, just imagine how bad off they'd be without that. And yet there are people that are constantly trying to take even this from them because millionaires and billionaries just don't have enough sitting in their bank accounts, not helping them, the economy or others at all.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• ALZDBA (9/14/2011)

Congratulations Jeff !!

Congratulations Jeff!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• GSquared (9/14/2011)

Approximately 46.2-million Americans are in poverty per Census. Per Agriculture, 83% of those report having enough food to eat. That's still 17% reporting not having enough. Of course, "enough" is a subjective judgement, and all that, but 17% of 46.2-million is still 7.9-million without enough to eat. Needs work. 4% homeless is 1.8-million. That's unacceptable in this country. 60% of homeless men are veterans. If you want data on how to help, check out http://www.nationalhomeless.org/index.html.

Well said, Gus. We are better off than many countries, but that's still a lot of people struggling. Local food banks and shelters are a great way to help if you feel the desire.

• Congrats, Jeff! I'll owe you a beer at PASS.

• Congratulations Jeff! :smooooth:

• Ok... relatively let's see

Stefan Krzywicki (9/14/2011)

A few important things to point out. The 42% "owning" their homes, means they have a mortgage, not that they own them outright.

As for the list of what they have, think of context. 3/4 have a car or truck and 31% have 2. Now think about this country, if you don't live in one of the major cities, you need that to be able to work, get food, etc... And what's the quality of the vehicle? Still sound so impressive if you know it is a 15 year old beater?

A few years ago (maybe 10 or so) owning (as in having a loan to pay for) a car and a house put you in the top 10% richest people in South Africa. That's one house (no matter how large), one car (no matter how old). Public transport in the USA is exceptionally good relatively. I live 16km from the centre of the largest city in Southern Africa. I cannot get around using public transport. (well, unless I want to use the minibus taxies that are death on wheels)

Only 43 percent have internet access? When the internet has become so important for learning, news and finding work, that's terrible.

Again, relatively that's heaven. In the poorer rural areas here there's maybe a 17% access to electricity (internet, what's that?). Country-wide (all income brackets, all provinces) electricity access is around 70%.

Now I'm not saying that nothing should be done, but relative to other regions of the world, your poor have it very well indeed.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Congrats Jeff! Excellent job!

Thanks,

Chad

• Changing the topic for a moment, I'd like to beg some ideas from the group, again.

I'm tasked with writing another article. This one is all about the scary, crazy stuff that the uninformed can do because of how SQL Server is setup and documented. As the one HUGE glaring example, the ability to just run DBCC CHECKDB WITH REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS. Not just the ability, but the active encouragement. Another one that immediately comes to mind is the use of the NO_LOCK hint as the RUN_FASTER hint. What are a few others?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (9/14/2011)

Changing the topic for a moment, I'd like to beg some ideas from the group, again.

I'm tasked with writing another article. This one is all about the scary, crazy stuff that the uninformed can do because of how SQL Server is setup and documented. As the one HUGE glaring example, the ability to just run DBCC CHECKDB WITH REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS. Not just the ability, but the active encouragement. Another one that immediately comes to mind is the use of the NO_LOCK hint as the RUN_FASTER hint. What are a few others?

Using the FLOAT data type comes to mind.

BTW, way to go JEFF! :w00t:

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Viewing 15 posts - 29,821 through 29,835 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply