Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (9/14/2011)

Changing the topic for a moment, I'd like to beg some ideas from the group, again.

I'm tasked with writing another article. This one is all about the scary, crazy stuff that the uninformed can do because of how SQL Server is setup and documented. As the one HUGE glaring example, the ability to just run DBCC CHECKDB WITH REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS. Not just the ability, but the active encouragement. Another one that immediately comes to mind is the use of the NO_LOCK hint as the RUN_FASTER hint. What are a few others?

Maintenance plans => Shrink, reindex (rebuilds everything instead of minimal)

Autoshrink, auto close

I have backups so I'm safe

Backup & db default locations.

Tempdb default location

Who needs that model db?

• mtillman-921105 (9/14/2011)

Grant Fritchey (9/14/2011)

Changing the topic for a moment, I'd like to beg some ideas from the group, again.

I'm tasked with writing another article. This one is all about the scary, crazy stuff that the uninformed can do because of how SQL Server is setup and documented. As the one HUGE glaring example, the ability to just run DBCC CHECKDB WITH REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS. Not just the ability, but the active encouragement. Another one that immediately comes to mind is the use of the NO_LOCK hint as the RUN_FASTER hint. What are a few others?

Using the FLOAT data type comes to mind.

BTW, way to go JEFF! :w00t:

You combined Jeff & FLOAT. You're going to get the lecture now about the evils of the DECIMAL data type. I'm sorry, but you've brought this on yourself.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Full backups... I also need to do tlog backups?!?!

• Ninja's_RGR'us (9/14/2011)

Full backups... I also need to do tlog backups?!?!

Backups???!!???!!

What the hell are backups???

-- Gianluca Sartori

mtillman-921105 (9/14/2011)

Using the FLOAT data type comes to mind.

BTW, way to go JEFF! :w00t:

You combined Jeff & FLOAT. You're going to get the lecture now about the evils of the DECIMAL data type. I'm sorry, but you've brought this on yourself.

alright, little help, what the hell is wrong with FLOAT?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Default autogrowth settings

Delete frees space (as in shrink the file)

• DB files are locked. Means you can't AV or copy them with 3rd party software.

Oh, DECIMAL's all I ever use in its stead just about... Then, well maybe I need the lecture. I'm primarily a student here anyway. :laugh:

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

Full recovery, no log backups.

No backups at all and no indication on create database that you might want such things.

No integrity checks

Maintenance plans - no guidance on which operations you want to run when

Maintenance plans - the default order if you use the wizard (shrink, reorg, rebuild, update stats)

Maintenance plans - the 'backup the tail of the log' option in log backups (which switched the database into the RESTORING state)

DTA and accept all

DTA with a limited workset and accept all including dropping indexes

Missing index DMVs with a nice little 'CREATE INDEX' statement for all indexes

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • mtillman-921105 (9/14/2011)

Oh, DECIMAL's all I ever use in its stead just about... Then, well maybe I need the lecture. I'm primarily a student here anyway. :laugh:

It takes an Exceptional DBA to explain that one, so we'll need to wait for Jeff.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Profiler can slow your servers down (GUI mode)

SQL_Variant, I can put everything in there.

save files in the db vs fileshare.

safe to give sa permissions to dev code.

• jcrawf02 (9/14/2011)

alright, little help, what the hell is wrong with FLOAT?

FLOAT came up on ASK and Oleg and Matt had some interesting comments about it. 😉

(Link: http://ask.sqlservercentral.com/questions/36183/conversion-char-float-money-game)

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• Big one... doesn't need <qualified> DBA to maintain.

• Excellent stuff everyone, thanks. I especially liked the DTA & the Profiler GUI. Excellent stuff.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I would also add not setting the min and max for memory.

Not caring about the IO Subsystem.

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 29,836 through 29,850 (of 66,587 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply