Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I have been having the worst time with this website on my work PC for the past 9 months. Couldn't log in (and login screen looked weird). When I did log in, got blank pages for forums, etc. Tried this on Edge, tried it on Chrome. Nothing worked.

Occasionally I try on and off to see if I can get it fixed, but nothing. Until today when I changed Edge to IE 11 mode AND compatability mode. FINALLY I can see and post. Login page still looks weird, though.

Hello, everyone. Long time no talk. I'm keeping up with the emails from this thread but was unable to respond until now. Happy New Year!

Congrats, Brandie. Considering the rough time you had getting it to work in your browser, I'd advise you to mentally prepare yourself before you try to post any code. I haven't posted any in quite some time. The last time I tried, I struggled to get it to look decent and finally just added an apology for the formatting.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Ed Wagner.
  • SGAB, I had high hopes for the new GENERATE_SERIES() function in 2022, which I finally took the time to download the Developers Edition for and install.  Things were looking promising for generation a single large series.  For a million rows, here's the stats compared to one of my simpler fnTally functions...

--===== GENERATE_SERIES()

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 593 ms, elapsed time = 187 ms.

--===== fnTally16()

CPU time = 765 ms, elapsed time = 252 ms.

But, then I had each do a crossapply of 0 to9 row expansions a million times (about 5.5 million rows in the result) and fnTally16() is about 25% quicker on both fronts.

--===== GENERATE_SERIES()

CPU time = 7769 ms, elapsed time = 824 ms.

--===== fnTally16()

CPU time = 4608 ms, elapsed time = 619 ms.

That's not an Earth-Shattering difference.  It's certainly not enough for me to poo-poo the use of GENERATE_SERIES() to others but 1) I am disappointed a bit and 2) I won't be using it myself. 🙁  It might make for an "SQL Spackle" article.

Up next, Eirikur's 2012 version of DelimitedSplit8K against the (hopefully) improved version of STRING_SPLIT().  I have a funny feeling the results are going to be similar.  I'll also check to see if it has a performance penalty when spliting BLOBs.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

SGAB,....

Okay, I give up. What is SGAB?

Let me know if you need any help with your testing. You know I like this kind of stuff.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

SGAB,....

Okay, I give up. What is SGAB?

It's the initials from a phrase I use a lot... "Shifting gears a bit". 😀 Hopefully, you derived what I mean when I say that. 😀  Who knows... maybe it'll catch on like RBAR did. 😀

WayneS wrote:

Let me know if you need any help with your testing. You know I like this kind of stuff.

Most definitely.  Thanks for the offer.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• So, I could use some help on this one: To Drop or Not to Drop (the temp table question) – SQLServerCentral Forums

I've tried Googling it but not finding exactly what this person is talking about.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So, I could use some help on this one: To Drop or Not to Drop (the temp table question) – SQLServerCentral Forums

I've tried Googling it but not finding exactly what this person is talking about.

Someone told you that these temp table drops are expensive (in database terms), but without providing evidence, and now they're expecting you just to believe them?

The burden of proof in this case is on them, not you.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• On that subject, I always leave the DROP TABLE IF EXISTS code in the proc but commented out.  That way I don't have to add it back in when I need to do multiple reruns while troubleshooting.

I've also been known to drop Temp Tables if they're big, I'm done with their content, and the proc isn't finished, yet, just to free up RAM for other people during my sometimes long winded processes.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Phil: Someone told you that these temp table drops are expensive (in database terms), but without providing evidence, and now they're expecting you just to believe them?

The burden of proof in this case is on them, not you.

Me: Not an option. I'm outranked by this person. That's why I'm trying to find the information.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Not an option. I'm outranked by this person. That's why I'm trying to find the information.

Wouldn't someone who "outranks" you want to teach you the why along with the what? I realise I know nothing about the environment, but I would hope that if a senior DBA/Developer tells me to do something a certain way because of "X", and I ask them if they can provide me with further information on that "X" they'd be happy to, as it aid my learning and I can also then better impart that knowledge onto other employees too. Otherwise we just end up in an environment like "Put NOLOCK after every table, as it doesn't lock the table and it's faster". >_<

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• That question is further proof that ChatGPT has been trained by people that don't have the correct knowledge in such matters.  (and yes... I'm trying to soften my tone, lately, but, I have to tell you, it actually caused me physical pain to word things so nicely).

It apparently cannot make the distinction between "temp tables" and "temporary tables".  It's seriously incorrect for what most of us refer to as "temp tables" and seriously correct for "real" "Temporary Tables".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

It apparently cannot make the distinction between "temp tables" and "temporary tables".  It's seriously incorrect for what most of us refer to as "temp tables" and seriously correct for "real" "Temporary Tables".

Hmm.. not sure what you're referring to with "temp tables", so I'm obviously not "most people". 🙂

Is it a temperature table? A temperamental table? A temptation table? I'm honestly wondering...

In the context of SQL Server, I personally think most people would indeed think of "temp tables" as a lazy short-hand for "temporary tables".

• kaj wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Hmm.. not sure what you're referring to with "temp tables", so I'm obviously not "most people". 🙂

Is it a temperature table? A temperamental table? A temptation table? I'm honestly wondering...

In the context of SQL Server, I personally think most people would indeed think of "temp tables" as a lazy short-hand for "temporary tables".

Totally true and we (including you) usually mean something created in TempDB whose hame starts with a "#"..  ChatGTP didn't consider it as "Temporary table objects that live in TempDB that start with  # sign".  It was apparently thinking of a "Table created in any database that is a real table and won't automatically be dropped at the end of the session or procedure run".

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

kaj wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Totally true and we (including you) usually mean something created in TempDB whose hame starts with a "#"..  ChatGTP didn't consider it as "Temporary table objects that live in TempDB that start with  # sign".  It was apparently thinking of a "Table created in any database that is a real table and won't automatically be dropped at the end of the session or procedure run".

Yes, and I now see your wisdom. 🙂

I think I got stuck on the sentence "It can't make the distinction between "temp tables" and "temporary tables", which didn't make much sense to me at the time.

• Don't get me started in WITH (NOLOCK). Apparently there are a number of people suddenly making that recommendation to get rid of blocking.

It's apparently easier advice to give people than details on how to actually fix their code.

Viewing 15 posts - 66,136 through 66,150 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply