Are the posted questions getting worse?

• David,

You just made my day!

😎

Luckily I was out on the balcony so no keyboard loss ??

• Just to sum it up, I think I owe Jeff at least five keyboards, few rodents and at least 12 coffees, I know it is a low figure but I am working on it

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

David,

You just made my day!

😎

Luckily I was out on the balcony so no keyboard loss

• Here is something for a weekend tumbler

😎

Submit your best effort for this query:

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

David,

You just made my day!

😎

Luckily I was out on the balcony so no keyboard loss

Steve! this is a bug, an edit resulted in a separate posting.

😎

• david.edwards 76768 wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Imagine the lady in Poltergeist: ALL ARE WELCOME!

Come on in. The water is fine. This is just the local water cooler (bubbler/fountain/whatever your local vernacular is for a central location that dispenses water in some form).

Pub? πŸ˜€

Better still

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Feel good shot of the day, born last night

6f77a4ba-4a6d-4757-825d-f074c8421299

• Thanks for sharing Steve!

😎

Looking good for a 12 hour old...

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

david.edwards 76768 wrote:

As a (mostly) lurker on this esteemed forum for around five years, I've only recently come across this thread.

I've not managed to consume all 4000+ pages to find the answer, so as a point of order: is this a general discussion/AOB/rant thread... and can anyone join in?

The guitar discussion piqued my interest πŸ™‚

Welcome to the "thread"!

😎

For some of us, this is the next thing to jamming by the water cooler πŸ˜‰

Thank you. Sounds like a nice place to hang out. I'm somewhat starved of mentors and peers being the only person at my firm responsible for "all things database" (and reporting), Sole and Accidental DBA, while also being backstop for most Line of Business applications, the developers' troubleshooting help, third line support and plenty else!

Might be the right place for me to ask "stupid" questions, that I probably should should know, without fear of a flaming tongue-lashing from You Know Who πŸ˜‰ (Although I respect his undoubted knowledge and experience, the rip-it-all-up-and-start-again fixes are not always possible when dealing with third-party applications) πŸ˜‰

Yes, you could ask tech questions here, but it is a little bit frowned upon depending on how technical or in depth you are going. Real in depth, start a new thread and pop in here to point us to it.Β  Simple questions, not much discuss go for it.

Welcome aboard and the Thread.

And yes, there are many people here that can help you as mentors here.

Not sure if this has been done, but I thought I'd have a little fun on a rare day off:

The MSSQL DBA's Prayer:

Our Master, which art in DataCenter

Two-part be thy name

Thy Schema come

Thy backups done

On site, as they are off-site

Select us this getutcdate our dataset

And forgive us our cursors

As we forgive your defaults that impact performance

And lead us not into recursion

But deliver us from corruption

For thine is the atomicity, the consistency and the isolation

For ever and ever

We hope

Heh... yeah... you fit into this crowd just fine. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You know I've been gone a while when Jeff replies to a question I posted with a Google search!

πŸ™‚

• They say that helping others can also improve one's own learning. Partly for that reason, partly altruistic and partly as another avenue to pick up useful tips, I joined a SQL Facebook group a few weeks ago.

I figured I'm not at the level to be able to contribute much here... yet, with the august, hardcore, greybeards watching threads like hawks, ready to pounce and impart the wisdom of many decades πŸ˜€

I really regret it. If you think the questions here can be bad.... has anyone else ever looked? The best questions appear to be a context-free one-liner and maybe a grainy photo of a screen, or handwritten query/exam question/homework/interview assessment question.

On the other hand, it's done wonders for the inferiority complex I've developed reading some of the threads here!

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    β€” Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• I love the grainy pictures of problems, I send my solutions back in pictures with even lower resolution! Heh maybe I'm just old and cranky but I get a cheap laugh out of it.

• x wrote:

I love the grainy pictures of problems, I send my solutions back in pictures with even lower resolution! Heh maybe I'm just old and cranky but I get a cheap laugh out of it.

Cheap laughs are the best laughs πŸ˜‰

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    β€” Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Yay!!Β  Just passed my goal of 1,500 points on Stack Overflow which means I can now create a tag for the JsonAutoService C# data access library.Β  Β I began on August 9th and in 4 weeks I'm now in 4th place overall (username SteveC) for the past 30 days in the sql-server tag.

https://stackoverflow.com/tags/sql-server/topusers

It's been intense.Β  Now that the goal has been met I'm going to relax a little bit over there.Β  I was throwing down like crazy.Β  Phew!Β  Glad the pressure is off and now I can focus on getting the message out about JsonAutoService

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben kΓΆnnen

Viewing 15 posts - 65,131 through 65,145 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply