Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lordy... absolutely nothing could go wrong with this little test, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jurassic-park-experiment-750-million-132816442.html

Apparently they didn't watch the part in the original movie where "nature found a way".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Lordy... absolutely nothing could go wrong with this little test, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jurassic-park-experiment-750-million-132816442.html

Apparently they didn't watch the part in the original movie where "nature found a way".

2020 is definitely NOT the year to be screwing around like this... Especially not in Florida. Hopefully DeSantis will step in put a stop to it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Jason A. Long.
  • Male mosquitoes do not suck blood anyways, so that statement means nothing. Why don’t they just experiment in the UK?

Hope it gets blocked. If something goes wrong, or horribly wrong, there would be no way to walk this one back. Just as bad, how do you monitor any results?

Had a neighbor when I was a kid who used to capture mosquitoes when they bit him. Odd until I learned he worked for mosquito control, and it was his way to do research.

• Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Male mosquitoes do not suck blood anyways, so that statement means nothing. Why don’t they just experiment in the UK?

Hope it gets blocked. If something goes wrong, or horribly wrong, there would be no way to walk this one back. Just as bad, how do you monitor any results?

Had a neighbor when I was a kid who used to capture mosquitoes when they bit him. Odd until I learned he worked for mosquito control, and it was his way to do research.

Heh... did he ever complain by saying "This job bites/sucks"? πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• No. But as a six year old, it was odd seeing the new neighbor have a one biting him, and then capture it in a test tube. He waited for it to finish too - that was dedication.

Did learn that the big males were nothing to worry about. And we had several types in our area.

I am a mosquito magnet. My wife jokes if she has no spray, she just hangs around me. I’m better than deep woods off. Β I was camping in the keys once and one of the group was more desirable than me. Painful to look at him the next day - welts from head to toe.

• As a (mostly) lurker on this esteemed forum for around five years, I've only recently come across this thread.

I've not managed to consume all 4000+ pages to find the answer, so as a point of order: is this a general discussion/AOB/rant thread... and can anyone join in?

The guitar discussion piqued my interest πŸ™‚

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    β€” Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• david.edwards 76768 wrote:

As a (mostly) lurker on this esteemed forum for around five years, I've only recently come across this thread.

I've not managed to consume all 4000+ pages to find the answer, so as a point of order: is this a general discussion/AOB/rant thread... and can anyone join in?

Welcome to the "thread"!

😎

For some of us, this is the next thing to jamming by the water cooler πŸ˜‰

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Soooooo… This is a weird one.

My coworker just set up a SQL Server (2019) and can't connect to it without the port number. IE, SeverName\InstanceName,1433. Oddly enough, I can connect to it with ServerName\InstanceName (no port). He's got Browser running on his desktop, and it can't be a UDP firewall block if I can connect to it.

We're scratching our heads on this one. Very odd.

Have you checked his network configs, protocol etc? Browser service running? Any other instances?

😎

Had the same problem on a 32bit Windows 10 tablet running SQL 2014, changed the network config for the service and all was hunky-dory ever after, just like the princess and the frog....;-)

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

david.edwards 76768 wrote:

As a (mostly) lurker on this esteemed forum for around five years, I've only recently come across this thread.

Welcome to the "thread"!

😎

Thank you. Sounds like a nice place to hang out. I'm somewhat starved of mentors and peers being the only person at my firm responsible for "all things database" (and reporting), Sole and Accidental DBA, while also being backstop for most Line of Business applications, the developers' troubleshooting help, third line support and plenty else!

Might be the right place for me to ask "stupid" questions, that I probably should should know, without fear of a flaming tongue-lashing from You Know Who πŸ˜‰ (Although I respect his undoubted knowledge and experience, the rip-it-all-up-and-start-again fixes are not always possible when dealing with third-party applications) πŸ˜‰

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    β€” Samuel Johnson

I'm somewhat starved of mentors and peers being the only person at my firm responsible for "all things database" (and reporting), Sole and Accidental DBA, while also being backstop for most Line of Business applications, the developers' troubleshooting help, third line support and plenty else!

Sounds like my job :-/

Might be the right place for me to ask "stupid" questions, that I probably should should know, without fear of a flaming tongue-lashing from You Know Who πŸ˜‰

Seems like I only ask stupid questions myself and I've had several tongue-lashings in my time, so don't worry about it. It is all part of life, experience and learning. πŸ™‚

And as for knowing everything, nobody knows everything but there are great mentors on this site, too many to mention, I use them all the time and I'm still learning.

So welcome πŸ™‚

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Welcome to the "thread"!

😎

Thank you. Sounds like a nice place to hang out. I'm somewhat starved of mentors and peers being the only person at my firm responsible for "all things database" (and reporting), Sole and Accidental DBA, while also being backstop for most Line of Business applications, the developers' troubleshooting help, third line support and plenty else!

Might be the right place for me to ask "stupid" questions, that I probably should should know, without fear of a flaming tongue-lashing from You Know Who πŸ˜‰ (Although I respect his undoubted knowledge and experience, the rip-it-all-up-and-start-again fixes are not always possible when dealing with third-party applications) πŸ˜‰

He he, the only questions that are stupid are the ones that are not asked!

😎

Imagine the lady in Poltergeist: ALL ARE WELCOME!

Come on in. The water is fine. This is just the local water cooler (bubbler/fountain/whatever your local vernacular is for a central location that dispenses water in some form).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Come on in. The water is fine. This is just the local water cooler (bubbler/fountain/whatever your local vernacular is for a central location that dispenses water in some form).

Pub? πŸ˜€

β€” Samuel Johnson

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Pub? πŸ˜€

Now that is an interesting one, you talking proper English pub or a "drink alike"?

😎

• Not sure if this has been done, but I thought I'd have a little fun on a rare day off:

The MSSQL DBA's Prayer:

Our Master, which art in DataCenter

Two-part be thy name

Thy Schema come

Thy backups done

On site, as they are off-site

Select us this getutcdate our dataset

And forgive us our cursors

As we forgive your defaults that impact performance

And lead us not into recursion

But deliver us from corruption

For thine is the atomicity, the consistency and the isolation

For ever and ever

We hope

β€” Samuel Johnson

Viewing 15 posts - 65,116 through 65,130 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply