Developer Edition

• I am proposing to the business that we use SQL 2019 Developer in our non production environment mainly in DEV or Test and don't want to pay for Enterprise Licenses for all of these environments. What disadvantages would be there with developer edition in DEV? Please advise? Thanks in Advance!

• This is what i can think of, Usage will be restricted. There is a risk of side effects using SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition instead of the real edition for operational use in the future. Although features are the same, the binaries may differ – who knows? Microsoft gets access to data – is sent to Microsoft. There are no exceptions. This will likely rule it out for any company that deals with particularly sensitive data. Does anyone agree?

• Admingod wrote:

This is what i can think of, Usage will be restricted.

Nope.  There is no restrictions on usage that I know of.

Admingod wrote:

There is a risk of side effects using SQL Server 2019 Developer Edition instead of the real edition for operational use in the future. Although features are the same, the binaries may differ – who knows?

Nope again. Extract the .iso's from developer and Enterprise.  Same files, same file sizes, same number of files

Admingod wrote:

Microsoft gets access to data – is sent to Microsoft. There are no exceptions. This will likely rule it out for any company that deals with particularly sensitive data. Does anyone agree?

Nope again.  Shut off and disable the telemetry services.

That's what I have figured out by googling and doing some testing on my own.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• The only disadvantage of using the Developer Edition in a development environment would be using Enterprise Edition only features in development testing when you are deploying to Standard Edition in your production environment.  Of course that is easy to prevent through training the developers on what features cannot be be deployed to production.

• Sensitive data should absolutely not be in use in dev & test servers. So that shouldn't be a problem.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I've not used developer edition, but we also run SQL Server Standard at my workplace.  I am just offering a different option: Visual Studio subscription licensing for your test/dev environment.  Everyone with a Visual Studio Subscription, one of the paid subscriptions,not the free one, will have access to various Microsoft tools for testing and development and the cost of the subscription may be cheaper than the cost of a SQL Enterprise license depending on the team size OR you may have a license already.

At my workplace, all developers get a Visual Studio Professional subscription.

To see a list of all the tools you get access to (for testing and development purposes) see here - https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/5/4/15454442-CF17-47B9-A65D-DF84EF88511B/Visual_Studio_by_Subscription_Level.xlsx

The only exception tothe "testing and development" rule that I am aware of is Office on Visual Studio Enterprise licesne where it is a full license.

The Visual Studio license would also cover your windows license for those SQL Servers.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• using the MSDN edition has a few constraints and I do not recommend it.

Main one is that if you use it then EVERYONE accessing that server, directly or indirectly, including testers and DBA's will require a MSDN license at the same level as the one that the individual that did the install has.

if you license the OS with MSDN it is even more constrained - for example you can't, without breaking the license, have a windows scheduled job copying anything from a prod environment onto the local server (backups, files to test and so on)

• Quick thing about MSDN licensing - End users who are doing acceptance TESTING do not require a license.  To quote Microsoft's licensing terms:

Acceptance Testing and Feedback. Your end users may access the software to perform acceptance tests on

your programs or to provide feedback on your programs.

http://download.microsoft.com/Documents/UseTerms/MSDN%20Subscriptions%20NFR_All_English_3fd4f49b-792c-463e-af90-53adcdb2669f.pdf

I also don't think everyone needs the same level of license; as long as the developers had a license that covers all of the software that is being used, you are fine.  Do you have a source for that claim?

I agree that MSDN has more restrictions, but if  it is used for development and testing, it is nice.  And I am not sure about that copying data from prod to test comment.  I have never read that that was not allowed and when you are doing testing, you would likely need some live data to work with.  Do you have a source for that comment?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Sensitive data should absolutely not be in use in dev & test servers that means the data needs to me masked in dev?

• Admingod wrote:

Sensitive data should absolutely not be in use in dev & test servers that means the data needs to me masked in dev?

I'm sorry, and please do not take this wrong, but this concept seems like it's a revelation to you.  You are an experienced person.  Why are you even asking this question?

Michael L John

• Sorry about that. Just making sure. You mentioned about telemetry services would that really work?

• Admingod wrote:

Sensitive data should absolutely not be in use in dev & test servers that means the data needs to me masked in dev?

Yes!

General Data Protection Regulation, California Citizens Privacy Act, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Stop Hacks and Improve Electronic Data Security Act, Brazil Data Protection Law. If one, or more, of these don't apply to you and your data today, guaranteed, one, or more, will apply tomorrow. And, India is working on one, Canada is working on one, Australia, Illinois, Vermont, both Carolinas. Someone, somewhere is going to get you if you put protected information into unprotected servers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• that is, as far as I can see, an older paper.

Visual Studio Subscriptions (formerly MSDN subscriptions) - latest licensing whitepaper here.

from it

Different Licensed Users Can Run the Same Software

Each member of the development team that will use (install, configure, or access) the software must have his or her own

Visual Studio subscription. Two or more individuals may use the same software if each has a Visual Studio subscription.

Example 1: A development team consists of 6 software developers, 1 architect/developer, and 3 testers. The team is

building an in-house Web-based accounting system, and wants to use the software to set up a test environment running

Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft SQL Server 2014. If all 10 team members will be accessing the development or test

environment, then each will require a Visual Studio subscription. The minimum subscription levels including both of these

products are Visual Studio Professional – annual, Visual Studio Professional Subscription and Visual Studio Test

Professional Subscription.

Note that there is a final stage of testing where those users do not require a license - but this does not cover all testers.

Acceptance Testing

At the end of a software development project, end users (or team members such as a business sponsor or product

manager acting as proxies for end users, particularly in cases where it’s infeasible or impossible for the actual end users of

the program to participate) typically review an application and determine whether it meets the necessary criteria for

release—a process often called user acceptance testing or UAT. The software may be accessed by end users who do not

have a Visual Studio subscription for purposes of acceptance testing, provided that the use of the software otherwise

complies with all Visual Studio subscription licensing terms. It is rare that someone whose primary role is designing,

developing, or testing the software would also qualify as an “end user.”

regarding the copying of production data - you can copy from prod to dev - but process is started from the prod environment, not the other way around - could not find the document in reference so won't post here.

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Admingod wrote:

Yes!

General Data Protection Regulation, California Citizens Privacy Act, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act, Stop Hacks and Improve Electronic Data Security Act, Brazil Data Protection Law. If one, or more, of these don't apply to you and your data today, guaranteed, one, or more, will apply tomorrow. And, India is working on one, Canada is working on one, Australia, Illinois, Vermont, both Carolinas. Someone, somewhere is going to get you if you put protected information into unprotected servers.

Even if nothing written applies, common sense should! 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As I understand licensing, and the manner in which we pay for it, every developer, tester, QA person, and so forth have Visual Studio licenses.

Regarding SQL and OS licenses, we do not license Dev and QA.  The deciding factor, according to our licensing person at MS,  is that end-users do not access these environments.  We do need to license production and stage/UAT  because these are available to the end-users.

We have developer edition installed on dev and qa.  In all of the production environments, we are using Enterprise edition for the applications, and standard for the various "utility" servers.

Michael L John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply