Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.  No company match on the 401k.

I wonder if they realize that good technicians are still valuable, and are still being hired.  I'm guessing that everyone in my group can get a 20% raise over their current salary by moving on.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• jasona.work wrote:

So, how's everyone surviving the shut in?

We've got a nice day on tap here, and while I'm putting in a couple extra hours this afternoon, I think I still ought to be able to get out on my bike and put a couple miles on.  At least it gets me fresh air and exercise.

Getting various around-the-house projects that've been put off / ugh I don't want to go up in the attic / I'll get to it later done.

I love it except for the fact that people at work (especially the big dogs) keep trying to engage me in tribal ritual and reindeer games so that people don't feel "isolated".  I don't need a "virtual group lunch meeting" on Teams and I don't need to work a crossword puzzle as group during morning scrum!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• No need to pile on for the following but, because of things like this, security breeches in the world just don't surprise me anymore.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/only-one-expression-can-be-specified-in-the-select-list-when-the-subquery-is-not

How do these people get their jobs?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Wow. My joke really hit with a thud. I'm surprised no one pulled out the Pork Chop Launcher on me. @=)

Michael, what company do you work for that they're forcing a 20% pay cut down your throat? I want to make sure I avoid that.

Things are still going well, so far, at Allstate. Getting work done. No word yet of layoffs or of pay cuts. In fact, we're giving people some of their auto insurance premiums back for the next two months (15% each month). So good PR for that. Other than that, grocery store shortages, idiot state governors, getting mad at general stupidity on TV, and pulling out the industry level sanitizer dispenser that I bought when I was pregnant in a fit of paranoia and mounting it on the wall.

KKC rolled his eyes when I bought it and 6 refills for it. A few weeks ago, he turns to me and says "Sooooo. Where did you want me to hang the sanitizer device?"

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Wow. My joke really hit with a thud. I'm surprised no one pulled out the Pork Chop Launcher on me. @=)

Michael, what company do you work for that they're forcing a 20% pay cut down your throat? I want to make sure I avoid that.

Things are still going well, so far, at Allstate. Getting work done. No word yet of layoffs or of pay cuts. In fact, we're giving people some of their auto insurance premiums back for the next two months (15% each month). So good PR for that. Other than that, grocery store shortages, idiot state governors, getting mad at general stupidity on TV, and pulling out the industry level sanitizer dispenser that I bought when I was pregnant in a fit of paranoia and mounting it on the wall.

KKC rolled his eyes when I bought it and 6 refills for it. A few weeks ago, he turns to me and says "Sooooo. Where did you want me to hang the sanitizer device?"

It was an obvious joke, no need to launch pork chops at you for it.

I had started working from back in October before the COVID-19 pandemic, so nothing really changed for me here.  As for Michael and his companies 20% pay cut, I would be sending my resume out as soon as I have it updated.  I could not handle that big of a pay cut.  Of course, I need to get my resume updated now any way as I may not have a job come the middle of August.  Depends on what projects and/or contracts the company lands between now and then.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Wow. My joke really hit with a thud. I'm surprised no one pulled out the Pork Chop Launcher on me. @=)

Nah... I was too busy laughing with you to reply. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Michael L John wrote:

Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.

BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!!   So it's not affecting you, right? 😀 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jasona.work wrote:

So, how's everyone surviving the shut in?

We've got a nice day on tap here, and while I'm putting in a couple extra hours this afternoon, I think I still ought to be able to get out on my bike and put a couple miles on.  At least it gets me fresh air and exercise.

Getting various around-the-house projects that've been put off / ugh I don't want to go up in the attic / I'll get to it later done.

Doing OK at the ranch. Cooking and baking more. We are all pitching in with cleaning the house, since that's our job now. Walking dogs, and I'm lucky I have space to do so. Hitting the store every 3-4 days, but mostly laying low, tackling some maintenance on weekends and some afternoons.

• Michael L John wrote:

Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.  No company match on the 401k.

I wonder if they realize that good technicians are still valuable, and are still being hired.  I'm guessing that everyone in my group can get a 20% raise over their current salary by moving on.

I've had some friends disagree, but I worry that older/more $$ employees might get screwed as businesses cut down and use this change to clear some of the extra staff and maybe reduce costs.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.

You couldn't resist could you?  Surprised Ed didn't beat you to the punch.

Michael L John

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Well, the big company meeting announcing what changes will be made was held this morning.  I will still have a job, but everyone making over 60k is getting an automatic 20% pay cut.  No company match on the 401k.

I've had some friends disagree, but I worry that older/more $$ employees might get screwed as businesses cut down and use this change to clear some of the extra staff and maybe reduce costs.

No company could have been prepared for this.  And, because of that, I fear that real thought will not be put into the decision about who to get rid of and who to keep.  They may simply sort the departmental salaries from high to low in a spreadsheet and start cutting the bigger numbers.  In the one-on-one conversation I had with my boss prior to this meeting, he assured me that I had nothing to worry about.  Our group is unique in the fact that regardless if we have 1 or 1000 clients, we still need to keep the systems running.  And, we can certainly perform almost all of the duties of any number of other groups.

Michael L John

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

You couldn't resist could you?  Surprised Ed didn't beat you to the punch.

Oh - I saw it and almost responded, but I restrained myself. 😀

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

I am the canary in your coal mine.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Michael L John wrote:

No company could have been prepared for this.  And, because of that, I fear that real thought will not be put into the decision about who to get rid of and who to keep.  They may simply sort the departmental salaries from high to low in a spreadsheet and start cutting the bigger numbers.  In the one-on-one conversation I had with my boss prior to this meeting, he assured me that I had nothing to worry about.  Our group is unique in the fact that regardless if we have 1 or 1000 clients, we still need to keep the systems running.  And, we can certainly perform almost all of the duties of any number of other groups.

A friend just went through this and they actually did it differently. They sorted, as you say, dropped the bottom 40% or so, cut the pay of the top and increased their workload. They know who can do the better job, they just don't want to pay for it any more.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

A friend just went through this and they actually did it differently. They sorted, as you say, dropped the bottom 40% or so, cut the pay of the top and increased their workload. They know who can do the better job, they just don't want to pay for it any more.

Well, that's one of the reasons I am still here.  There is a group who all have 20 years worth of one days experience.  The same crap, day after day.  I have tried to automate this stuff with them, but nope, they won't have anything to do.  Mike can pick up some of that if need be.  Mike can write the code if need be.  Mike can do reports if need be.  The list goes on and on.

Michael L John

Viewing 15 posts - 64,786 through 64,800 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply