Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Hahaha, had an upgrade weekend myself. Things went fairly smoothly, other than timing being WAY off from estimated and me validating tables in the back of a bowling alley while my son was at a birthday party.

Of course the PM sent out emails saying my part was "completed" when I didn't even have access to the db yet, so I was furiously validating and hoping I didn't have to find something and escalate after he gave it a green light.

Always fun.

hahaha sounds like we should put a book together - "tales of the disadvantaged, misrepresented and oppressed" or as I like to call it "the DBA files"

MVDBA

• Little bit of amusement for you all. Was going through some old processes, that out date me at the business, they're being "questioned" (aka, people have forgotten what they asked for). As I work through, I found a VIEW that had the definition below:

--use General
    CREATE VIEW [dbo].[OutTrans_viw] AS

SELECT * FROM Outtrans_tbl
    GO

Hmmm...

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Little bit of amusement for you all. Was going through some old processes, that out date me at the business, they're being "questioned" (aka, people have forgotten what they asked for). As I work through, I found a VIEW that had the definition below:

--use General
    CREATE VIEW [dbo].[OutTrans_viw] AS

SELECT * FROM Outtrans_tbl
    GO

Hmmm...

hahaha - i quite often see views or procs that are select * from x where 1=1

but in this instance i hope your post makes Grant less grumpy, - are the posted questions getting worse? no, the effort level of the poster is getting worse.

we had to drag info out of the original poster and Grant just googled "in memory open source" - ... i think he might have given up on that thread. πŸ™‚

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

we had to drag info out of the original poster and Grant just googled "in memory open source" - ... i think he might have given up on that thread. πŸ™‚

Yep. Lost all interest. The OP couldn't/wouldn't explain a darned thing, so... Gave 'em the answer they were asking for.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Yep. Lost all interest. The OP couldn't/wouldn't explain a darned thing, so... Gave 'em the answer they were asking for.

are we allowed to post links to "let me google that for you" ? lmgtfy.com πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I've posted a lot of questions in the last few days relating to 2019 upgrades, but I take quite a while to put everything I think is relevant in the question.. and if I find a solution then I put it in a reply so that other people can see it (and then disagree with me πŸ™‚ )

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

are we allowed to post links to "let me google that for you" ? lmgtfy.com πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

I've posted a lot of questions in the last few days relating to 2019 upgrades, but I take quite a while to put everything I think is relevant in the question.. and if I find a solution then I put it in a reply so that other people can see it (and then disagree with me πŸ™‚ )

I've seen Jeff use those links many of times. And unlike certain sites, SSC won't post you submitting your post if it does contain a link to it. πŸ˜‰

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

I've seen Jeff use those links many of times. And unlike certain sites, SSC won't post you submitting your post if it does contain a link to it. πŸ˜‰

Can you? Yes.

Should you? Personally, I'd say no.

Have I done it? Yes, I did do it a couple of times. I regret it now and won't do it anymore. Even the answer I gave above was to an article I found, not to Google or LTGFY.

Will I call you on it? Nah.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I suppose lmgtfy.com could be construed as "sarcastic"? but it is tempting sometimes.

Better to be a nice DBA and not discourage people trying to learn.

BAD DBA for even thinking about using it!!!!

MVDBA

• One thing I've noticed since Google went on its personalization kick a few years back is that my results often don't look like your results.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

One thing I've noticed since Google went on its personalization kick a few years back is that my results often don't look like your results.

I was wondering why mine were full of beer, guitars and curries! πŸ™‚

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Robert Sterbal wrote:

One thing I've noticed since Google went on its personalization kick a few years back is that my results often don't look like your results.

I was wondering why mine were full of beer, guitars and curries! πŸ™‚

I was wonderingΒ  why mine was whisky, underwear models and motorbikes lol

MVDBA

• So, not sure if you're still taking requests for changes to the site, but if you are, I find the "automated bump to increase visibility of your post" posts, to be annoying.Β  Even when it's my own post getting bumped...

• OK, bit of a vent here, feel free to ignore me...

WHY can you not use DTUTIL to import a password-protected SSIS package?Β  Honestly, why?Β  Today I had to migrate somewhere around 80 packages to our new environment, export was easy, found a handy query that generates the DTUTIL to export, found out the ones set to have the server roles protect the package needed to be dumped a little differently (and couldn't find a way to sort out the sheep from the goats in a query, so all the packages got passworded,) so a quick modification and voila, a bunch of DTSX files to copy.

Then I tried to DTUTIL to import them.

And well, that led to this grouch.

And before anyone asks, the customer whose packages I was working on, when I've pushed them towards migrating their packages to the SSIS Catalog?

"We've got to much other work to do," "It's a lot of work we don't have time for," etc, etc.Β  Thankfully, my team lead is on-board with, once we finish our cloud migration, requiring them to get the ball rolling.Β  Even going so far as to say my idea of "when we migrate to SQL 2019, the DBA will NOT be putting in the work to migrate your SSIS packages.Β  Either you do it yourselves, or you get them in the SSIS Catalog."

Which, even I know, will probably still end up with me migrating them (again,) but it's worth a try...

• jasona.work wrote:

OK, bit of a vent here, feel free to ignore me...

WHY can you not use DTUTIL to import a password-protected SSIS package?Β  Honestly, why?Β  Today I had to migrate somewhere around 80 packages to our new environment, export was easy, found a handy query that generates the DTUTIL to export, found out the ones set to have the server roles protect the package needed to be dumped a little differently (and couldn't find a way to sort out the sheep from the goats in a query, so all the packages got passworded,) so a quick modification and voila, a bunch of DTSX files to copy.

Then I tried to DTUTIL to import them.

And well, that led to this grouch.

And before anyone asks, the customer whose packages I was working on, when I've pushed them towards migrating their packages to the SSIS Catalog?

"We've got to much other work to do," "It's a lot of work we don't have time for," etc, etc.Β  Thankfully, my team lead is on-board with, once we finish our cloud migration, requiring them to get the ball rolling.Β  Even going so far as to say my idea of "when we migrate to SQL 2019, the DBA will NOT be putting in the work to migrate your SSIS packages.Β  Either you do it yourselves, or you get them in the SSIS Catalog."

Which, even I know, will probably still end up with me migrating them (again,) but it's worth a try...

Heh... if you're going to grouch about, I'm going to grouch with you... πŸ˜€Β  You're not the only one that has gone through this.Β  I've seen many a soul suffer through SSIS migrations, deployments, whatever.Β  A good friend of mine went through this same junk with close to 200 packages they had to migrate.Β  Even the consultant they hired to do it quit.Β  You've touched upon one of the many significant reasons why I do whatever I can to avoid SSIS at all costs and why I help them tear down SSIS and do it all with a little SQL prestidigitation in stored procedures.Β Β  What others went through during 2014 SP1 put the lid on SSIS for me.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• jasona.work wrote:

"We've got to much other work to do," "It's a lot of work we don't have time for," etc, etc.Β  Thankfully, my team lead is on-board with, once we finish our cloud migration, requiring them to get the ball rolling.Β  Even going so far as to say my idea of "when we migrate to SQL 2019, the DBA will NOT be putting in the work to migrate your SSIS packages.Β  Either you do it yourselves, or you get them in the SSIS Catalog."..

I really don't understand the amount of people that haven't changed the the Catalog, nor the resistance people give. The actual migration isn't actually that hard, provided you have good controls in place already (which I would hope many do!). We migrated as soon as we got 2012 and did it as part of the server upgrade, and it wasn't hard (and the resources were far fewer back then!).

I do often wonder it's a cause of that a lot of people think that SSIS is "bad" (*cough* Jeff *cough*) and so don't want to rock the boat. Problem is, rocking that boat actually causes it's the rock less later on.

Maybe Microsoft will Deprecate the msdb and file system deployment methods; then everyone will be forced to use SSIS Catalog. Heh πŸ˜‰

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 64,501 through 64,515 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply