Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I have a quickie informational question over here (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/question-on-encrypted-database-keys-passwords) if y'all could pop in and let me know Yes or No on the issue.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Well I just updated my Windows 10 laptop (which has Pro on it) to the latest, so I'll test it there and on my work PC. You said you had Windows 10 Home?

On my work desktop, Windows 10 Enterprise, I see no problem reading an Adobe pdf file. Just opened up one this morning with screenshots and all sorts of formatting. I'll continue testing.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• There were a few issues caused by adobe themselves (i.e. a few releases of the client were signed by expired certs which were getting blocked, frankly for good reason).  They were fixed pretty quickly, so perhaps just update your adobe client and try again.  Of course you could also just set your internet security to damn near nothing ("trust all publishers") and roll the dice which would avoid this issue, but that's not something I'd gamble with.

That said I am running the latest at home and so far have had no issue with using either option (adobe reader or edge, or reader from within edge).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• So it's official. I've been accepted to Grace Hopper 2019 in Orlando to talk about "Imposter Syndrome: Are You Ready To Mentor".

WHEEE... Now I have to overcome my own sudden little spurt of imposter syndrome to make sure my presentation is up to snuff. @=)

I've got a lot of article links and stuff that I originally researched and need to go back to, but in the meantime, has anyone encountered any research on how imposter syndrome does or does not affect a person's ability or desire to mentor? I've got lots of references on both subjects separate from each other but only a limited number of references on the two together.

Yeah, I know. It sounds like I'm asking you to do my homework. So feel free to pass. I'm just trying to add on to everything I've already compiled to see if any of it makes sense in the context of my presentation or if it's redundant / unnecessary.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So it's official. I've been accepted to Grace Hopper 2019 in Orlando to talk about "Imposter Syndrome: Are You Ready To Mentor". WHEEE... Now I have to overcome my own sudden little spurt of imposter syndrome to make sure my presentation is up to snuff. @=) I've got a lot of article links and stuff that I originally researched and need to go back to, but in the meantime, has anyone encountered any research on how imposter syndrome does or does not affect a person's ability or desire to mentor? I've got lots of references on both subjects separate from each other but only a limited number of references on the two together. Yeah, I know. It sounds like I'm asking you to do my homework. So feel free to pass. I'm just trying to add on to everything I've already compiled to see if any of it makes sense in the context of my presentation or if it's redundant / unnecessary.

I would offer you my opinion but I am concerned it may become obvious to others that I am incompetent. 🙂

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Thom A wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I can't find any documentation on it because the official 2019 deprecated features hasn't been made public yet but does anyone know if sys.sysindexes is still available in 2019?

it's still in preview version on the Linux:

Awesome... Thanks, Thom.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So it's official. I've been accepted to Grace Hopper 2019 in Orlando to talk about "Imposter Syndrome: Are You Ready To Mentor". WHEEE... Now I have to overcome my own sudden little spurt of imposter syndrome to make sure my presentation is up to snuff. @=) I've got a lot of article links and stuff that I originally researched and need to go back to, but in the meantime, has anyone encountered any research on how imposter syndrome does or does not affect a person's ability or desire to mentor? I've got lots of references on both subjects separate from each other but only a limited number of references on the two together. Yeah, I know. It sounds like I'm asking you to do my homework. So feel free to pass. I'm just trying to add on to everything I've already compiled to see if any of it makes sense in the context of my presentation or if it's redundant / unnecessary.

WOW! Congrats. That's huge. You'll crush it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Nice one, Brandie.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

RE: Synonyms and 3 / 4 part naming conventions, is this just a preference or are you noticing performance issues? And in the end, why does it matter? If the linked database is on another instance / server, even the synonym is going to be using (I assume) a linked server to get to the data. Unless there's a way to get around that limitation that I'm unaware of. If so, please tell me. I just find it hard to justify the work of building and maintaining synonyms (to my already large list of things to do) to reference things that can be referenced through a linked server and won't generally break if a column is added / dropped / updated.

Just to revisit this and to provide reasons with why I concur with Sean on the subject...

To me, the use of synonyms is a bit like getting a tetanus shot and then then maintaining the immunity with the occasional booster shot.  The original shot is a bit of a pain and so is the occasional booster shot.  It also takes a bit of time to setup the appointment to get one and then to go to the doctor and actually get the shot.  But... it's worth it.

I've been very fortunate (thanks to the shots) to have never gotten tetanus but I have seen people that have and I have to tell you, it's not fun for them.  They do call it "lock jaw" for a reason.

I've not been so lucky in the past (almost 20 years ago... lesson learned well) with database object naming.  In the early days, people thought it really cool to include DBName..ObjectName and LinkedServerName.DBName..ObjectName in their code virtually without exception.  As Mom would frequently say about BB-Gun fights (which I NEVER got involved in), "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye".

Things happen for unknown reasons.  Sometimes they're stupid reasons and sometimes they're valid reasons but, either way, you have to deal with it.  The company that I worked for that was using 3 and 4 part naming (including the mistake of not including a valid schema name... that's another but similar story) decided that there would be an official naming convention for linked servers and databases in different environments.  We had no choice and had to change them.  You don't have to guess what happened there.  Every piece of code we had needed to be changed.

We decide to get the proverbial tetanus shot while we were at it.  We created the necessary synonyms and change all of the code to exclusively use  only the 2 part naming convention whether it was for cross database or cross server using linked servers.  In the months that followed, we found it to be a bit of a minor pain to always use synonyms for such things but, just like getting a tetanus booster, it just wasn't that difficult and soon became a matter of rote that we did without even thinking about it.

About a year later, a lot of the technical leadership had changed and you can probably guess what happened.  A new corporate mandate came down with a new naming convention.  While other parts of the company were scrambling to comply and had lots of downtime, it took us about 15 minutes to setup newly name linked servers (old ones were dropped when everything was completed).  After that, things really got easy.  We built a simple system stored procedure that ripped though all of the databases that renamed all of the databases and rebuilt all of the synonyms (using an old name vs new name and type list in the proc) in about a minute, which was also our total down time.

Yeah... that's an extreme example that most people will never have to suffer once never mind twice.

We also have Dev and Staging environments that require copies of prod.  Yeah... the databases all have suffixes on them for whatever environment you're in.  Sounds really painful but, because of synonyms, it's not.  And having differently named suffixes on each database have actually provided us with 2 massive benefits.  First, for those folks that have multiple connections to multiple systems open in SSMS, it has, indeed, greatly reduced the mistake of making unintended changes because people thought they were connected to the right server.  The other huge benefit is that, especially for the Dev environment, it allows us to have multiple copies of the same SETS of databases for different purposes and allows us to do a database refresh from prod (using a restore in most cases) without a whole lot of fuss.  All we have to do is change the synonyms and, of course, there's a script for that.

It also makes us nearly immune if someone gets a different religion about naming conventions.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Totally freakin' awesome, Brandi.  Congratulations!  I share Grant's enthusiasm here... you'll knock'em dead!

Just curious... are you going to cover the flip side of the "Imposter Syndrome" about people that actually are "imposters" that don't think they are.  (Dunning-Kruger)

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Totally freakin' awesome, Brandi.  Congratulations!  I share Grant's enthusiasm here... you'll knock'em dead! Just curious... are you going to cover the flip side of the "Imposter Syndrome" about people that actually are "imposters" that don't think they are.  (Dunning-Kruger)

I don't think I have time. I need to verify how much time I have for my presentation. I think it's somewhere between 10-20 minutes.

TedTalk version, basically.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Totally freakin' awesome, Brandi.  Congratulations!  I share Grant's enthusiasm here... you'll knock'em dead! Just curious... are you going to cover the flip side of the "Imposter Syndrome" about people that actually are "imposters" that don't think they are.  (Dunning-Kruger)

I don't think I have time. I need to verify how much time I have for my presentation. I think it's somewhere between 10-20 minutes. TedTalk version, basically.

Sounds like an interesting topic and you will kill it!!! Congrats!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I don't think I have time. I need to verify how much time I have for my presentation. I think it's somewhere between 10-20 minutes. TedTalk version, basically.

Ah... got it.  Didn't know the time was so limited.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Congrats

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Corporate upgraded me to Office 365 and suddenly my Skype for Business contact list is screwed up. Not only did it suddenly decide to sort people by first name instead of last name, but then it "renamed" some contacts who don't go by their legal names. Even though Outlook has their proper "nick names," Skype is showing names that I don't recognize because that's not the name my contacts use.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Now I'm going to have to retrain myself how to read that damn contact list instead of just being able to quick-scroll through it.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,571 through 63,585 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply