Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Sean Lange wrote:

No kidding. It makes for some interesting things from time to time to say the least.

Sorry, Sean, but knowing a bit about the baan-like environment you're working in has used up all the sympathy I have for your pain.  There's too much pain inherent there to feel bad about synonyms.  I know you know exactly what I mean. 😉

Right?!?!?!? Synonyms are nothing compared to some of the other downright horrific items I have to deal with on a day to day basis.

Ditto that!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Pittsburgh SQL Saturday is now official

https://www.sqlsaturday.com/907/EventHome.aspx

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Pittsburgh SQL Saturday is now official https://www.sqlsaturday.com/907/EventHome.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Just saw that. Going to be a busy day. Hard choices to make

• Michael L John wrote:

Pittsburgh SQL Saturday is now official https://www.sqlsaturday.com/907/EventHome.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Cool.  I got the email on it.  How much lead time do you recommend for a precon announcement?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Sorry... double posted.  Removed the dupe.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I can't find any documentation on it because the official 2019 deprecated features hasn't been made public yet but does anyone know if sys.sysindexes is still available in 2019?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I can't find any documentation on it because the official 2019 deprecated features hasn't been made public yet but does anyone know if sys.sysindexes is still available in 2019?

it's still in preview version on the Linux:

root@Thunor:~# /opt/mssql-tools/bin/sqlcmd -U sa
    Password:
    1> USE master;
    2> SELECT TOP 10 id
    3> FROM sys.sysindexes;
    4> GO
    Changed database context to 'master'.
    id
    -----------

(10 rows affected)
    1> PRINT @@VERSION;
    2> GO
    Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (CTP2.5) - 15.0.1500.28 (X64)
    Apr 15 2019 15:33:10
    Copyright (C) 2019 Microsoft Corporation
    Developer Edition (64-bit) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS) <X64>

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Does this help? https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/content?query=windows+10+update%5B/quote%5D

I looked at that, and it appeared to be the usual MS being deliberately unhelpful - basically they told the guy to reinstall acrobat (giving him lots of instructions which he clearly didn't need because he's obviously installed it before) which of course doesn't work.

The easy solution is to use Chrome to read PDF files.  (You can even give it a file reference on your machine using windows notation instead of a URL, which for me is rather useful as I keep financial records for a long time in case I get into arguments with the tax people. I'm told that in theory I have to keep all records for 6 years , but experience tells me that in practice I have never needed anything older than just short of two years).

I hope that the EU competition regulators will see this as MS trying to strike back after losing the browser war and treat it accordingly - the result should be a much bigger fine for this second offence.  I doubt though that MS would dare to try to prevent Google from handling PDF with Google software on Windows 10, so they may try to claim that allowing Chrome to work is mitigation.  But of course they may not want to admit that Google got PDF handling right where MS had very obviously got it wrong.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  TomThomson.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  TomThomson.

Tom

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Does this help? https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/content?query=windows+10+update%5B/quote%5D

I decided to try to push some buttons on this, and sent an email to the relevant European commissioner, saying

Microsoft seems to be back at its old game of suppressing competition in an uncceptable manner.

The latest "upgrade" of the Microsoft  Winows 10 operating system home version comes with a message saying that all hadling of PDF must now be done using Microsofts own software, and that the PDF readers and associated tools provided by other software companies (including Adobe, the company which created PDF) will no longer be allowed to function on the Windows 10 home system and all PDF handling must be done in the Microsoft Edge browser.

That is an attempt to suppress competition much like the ttempt carried out years ago to suppress browser competition, which was rather less vicious - bsck then MS didn't actually disable the other browsers from working.  So this is a rather nastier anti-competitive move.

This anti-competitive measure is also technically flawed.  Many consumers get regular accounts sent to them in PDF format by banks, credit card and debit ard companies, and other financial operations, so having software to display PDF files and to print them is essential for those consumers. But microsoft's software cannot display or print some of these essential documents, so that for example consumers who have used a UK Post Office credit card for years and received their monthly statements in PDF format can no longer see their stements except as an illegible gobbledegook of smudges and scribbles, utterly meaningless for any practical purpose.  (This example is not the only such problem.)  This failure to be able to read or print these documents applies not only to new documents, but also to documents that customers received a long time ago and have retained copies of in order to comply with various national laws about being able to prove, if asked, various financial transactions long after their occurrence.  So as well as trying to destroy competition microsoft is preventing consumers both from seeing their own accounts and from complying with the law requiring old record to be available.

The damage to consumers who are not trained as professionals in computing risks being serious, and a company's attempt to suppress competition that causes such damage to consumers must be penalised and stopped as soon as possible.  People have asked Microsoft to provide a way to use the previously available non-microsoft software, and are fobbed off with instructions that do not, as Microsoft surely knows, work. 

It is not of course a big problem for fully qualified computer scientists like myself, although it is certainly a nuisance that I have to change the way I do things merely because Microsoft's greed has yet again demonstrate its utter disregard for its customers.   And I don't have an axe to grind on this because it's merely a nuisance, not a problem, and because I retired about a decade ago so it's not going to cause me any problems at work.

I hope to see this terrible attack on competition and on consumers dealt wth appropriately by your team.

Best Regards

It would be useful if she got some mail from more people than just me.  So could anyone who agrees that MS are being really stupid here join in are write to margrethe-vestager-contact@ec.europa.eu

Tom

• I would love to, but as a U.S. citizen, I'm not sure my feedback would be accepted.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• The PDF problem isn't something I've experienced yet at the office, but if this is actually true this will have huge ramifications for us at the office; we produce all of our documents for customers (we're a Insurance Broker) in PDF when sent electronically and we're trying to get customers to opt into electronic documents (for 2 reasons, 1: cheaper. 2: Certain people won't keep posting letters to the wrong customers /sigh). If we can't use Acrobat any more this will actually probably stop our workflow entirely.Only a few of us are on Windows 10 at the moment (I am one), but the rest of the users are being upgraded to new PC's in June/July so I hope this is solved by then, if it comes up.

Fortunately(?) I don't use Windows at home, so at least I can continue to use what ever I want at home.

On a different note, Attachments are back! Yay!(?)

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I think that truly, Brandie, she would be vey pleased to get some support from the US.   It was partly US support that won the anti-MS web browser fight, and this one is yet more obviosly international  in its consequences.

Tom

• TomThomson wrote:

I decided to try to push some buttons on this, and sent an email to the relevant European commissioner, saying The latest "upgrade" of the Microsoft  Winows 10 operating system home version comes with a message saying that all hadling of PDF must now be done using Microsofts own software, and that the PDF readers and associated tools provided by other software companies (including Adobe, the company which created PDF) will no longer be allowed to function on the Windows 10 home system and all PDF handling must be done in the Microsoft Edge browser.

I can't find anything anywhere that says there is an upgrade that makes this restriction. Have you got a link?

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

TomThomson wrote:

I decided to try to push some buttons on this, and sent an email to the relevant European commissioner, saying The latest "upgrade" of the Microsoft  Winows 10 operating system home version comes with a message saying that all hadling of PDF must now be done using Microsofts own software, and that the PDF readers and associated tools provided by other software companies (including Adobe, the company which created PDF) will no longer be allowed to function on the Windows 10 home system and all PDF handling must be done in the Microsoft Edge browser.

I can't find anything anywhere that says there is an upgrade that makes this restriction. Have you got a link?

would be interesting to see that link.

As far as I am aware there are/were issues with Edge not allowing external PDF readers by design or reseting the default program to be Edge - but that would not prevent using Adobe on a downloaded file, or using another browser to open them - one link with related information on this [urlhttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-to-override-microsoft-edge-as-the-default-pdf/0dcd9fbf-707f-4e5a-9ea8-6f695744c284?page=15&msgId=f9a5f3ea-f998-4ac3-8f59-4053cd4342ab[/url]

• Well I just updated my Windows 10 laptop (which has Pro on it) to the latest, so I'll test it there and on my work PC.

You said you had Windows 10 Home?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,556 through 63,570 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply