Are the posted questions getting worse?

• That is just what you need on a Friday 😉

😎

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Corporate upgraded me to Office 365 and suddenly my Skype for Business contact list is screwed up. Not only did it suddenly decide to sort people by first name instead of last name, but then it "renamed" some contacts who don't go by their legal names. Even though Outlook has their proper "nick names," Skype is showing names that I don't recognize because that's not the name my contacts use. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Now I'm going to have to retrain myself how to read that damn contact list instead of just being able to quick-scroll through it.

It gets better(???)... MS is doing away with Skype for Business in favor of Teams.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Gee, who figured out DBCC TimeWarp? Posts here are posting four hours in the future. My last post above was at 11:33 AM EST, but it's showing 3:33pm

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS wrote:

Gee, who figured out DBCC TimeWarp? Posts here are posting four hours in the future. My last post above was at 11:33 AM EST, but it's showing 3:33pm  

That's something I asked Steve about awhile ago. They're all UTC times. I'm posting 1 hour in the past if it helps. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• It's a strange setup for now. The forum software doesn't seem to align itself with users very well, so there should be some ticket in place to clean up times. We're working through lots of items and have closed a lot of bugs this week, so I hope we can get times sorted by client at some point soon.

• WayneS wrote:

Gee, who figured out DBCC TimeWarp? Posts here are posting four hours in the future. My last post above was at 11:33 AM EST, but it's showing 3:33pm  

Well, there are two possibilities. Professor Time or the Doctor.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Alright then... I just saw a fairly recent post with an "Attachments" section with 2 attachments.  How do we do that on this new forum?

Never mind... I'm an idiot.  I kept looking for something in the edit icon bar.  It does help to read things as you're scrolling down, doesn't it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• WayneS wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Corporate upgraded me to Office 365 and suddenly my Skype for Business contact list is screwed up. Not only did it suddenly decide to sort people by first name instead of last name, but then it "renamed" some contacts who don't go by their legal names. Even though Outlook has their proper "nick names," Skype is showing names that I don't recognize because that's not the name my contacts use. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Now I'm going to have to retrain myself how to read that damn contact list instead of just being able to quick-scroll through it.

It gets better(???)... MS is doing away with Skype for Business in favor of Teams.

We have had Teams for over a year but only a few people. As of today our entire company has switched over to Teams. In some ways it is better but in other ways not so much.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

WayneS wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

We have had Teams for over a year but only a few people. As of today our entire company has switched over to Teams. In some ways it is better but in other ways not so much.

One of the companies I do work for was recently required to switch to O365 by a corporate mandate.  It broke communications for all email in the SQL Server due to changes and omissions.  And if you've never tried to use PowerPoint in O365 for the highly animated stuff that I do and making new masters, get ready... comparatively speaking, it totally sucks.  Outlook also makes sucking sounds because you no longer get the temporal sections (things like "Last week", "2 weeks ago", etc) in places like your in-box, etc.

That same company is in the process of being forced into using that TEAMS and FLOW stuff.  While some people might enjoy stuff like that, I don't have time for such yammering... pun intended! 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Alright, Threadzians. Who's responsible for this one?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/faulty-database-script-brings-salesforce-to-its-knees/

Seriously. What were they thinking and why didn't they test this first?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Wow. I was wrong on my presentation length for Grace Hopper. They've increased the time to 30 minutes (including Q&A). So I need to sit down and completely map out my presentation and how long it'll take me.

And decide how much time to allow for questions, the bane of any presenter's existence. @=)

• You've been given a gift... when most folks write a presentation, they practice it at say 20 minutes but they've included so much good stuff that it will actually take 30 and they leave little time for questions.  You been given extra time to talk at a reasonable pace instead of being in a hurry (like me).

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• You've been given a gift... when most folks write a presentation, they practice it at say 20 minutes but they've included so much good stuff that it will actually take 30 and they leave little time for questions.  You been given extra time to talk at a reasonable pace instead of being in a hurry (like me).

Have you experimented with other models of delivering the content? I really appreciate when the slides are posted ahead of time and when a transcript is available for a talk. I also think that remote access and recordings of talks are generally a good idea to consider. Maybe have a blog post for each presentation?

These are not recommendations, just suggestions. I've made them before, so if you have already considered them, feel free to not respond if you can link to your earlier response.

412-977-3526 call/text

• I'm not sure what the Grace Hopper setup is. And posting powerpoint slides is kinda worthless if one subscribes to the belief that powerpoint should supplement the presentation, not contain the presentation. The pp slides might give one an over-arching idea of what the talk was about, but won't give specifics or vital information that may have been inserted. Plus, I've noticed, they never include the all-important demo / code for a lot of the more technical talks.

Given that my presentation isn't technical, I'm not sure what kind of slide deck I'll end up with, if I even get to bring one. I need to get more information on the process from my peeps who have been there before.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

And posting powerpoint slides is kinda worthless if one subscribes to the belief that powerpoint should supplement the presentation, not contain the presentation.

I subscribe to "It Depends".  If it's a technical presentation, I don't write PowerPoint presentations... I write animated PowerPoint books so that the audience has something to go back and study on their own along with the code that I've included in the ZIP file.  My goal is for them to not actually need me anymore when I've completed the presentation.

For the kind of presentation you're giving, I agree with your original thought above.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 63,586 through 63,600 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply