Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:47 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:59 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:16 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:00 AM

Neil Burton - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:16 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:12 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

So, for those in the US, any big plans for the upcoming long weekend?

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

Weekend's task, breaking in the Pizza Oven
    😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

Ooh shiny.  I want one of those but I've only got a small backyard (in the stone-flagged Northern England sense) and there's already a bike, charcoal grill and an offset smoker in there.

Should not have posted this, now there is a queue of Italians outside my door asking when the pizzas will be ready😀
    😎

What's the fuel source?  I ask because depending on what it is, you might be able to get some great heat out of it.  It makes for a better crust.

It burns wood and charcoal, I'm going to try it out with oak. What would you suggest Ed?
    😎

Oak would be a good choice as it burns nice and hot. If you want to add a little flavor I would suggest tossing a stick or two of something else. Maybe some cherry, pear or apple. If you like the fruity flavor you can toss on some grape vines too. Or possibly some mesquite or hickory depending on the pizza toppings.

Heh... or a constant drip of bacon fat. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:03 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:47 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:59 PM

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

Ooh shiny.  I want one of those but I've only got a small backyard (in the stone-flagged Northern England sense) and there's already a bike, charcoal grill and an offset smoker in there.

Should not have posted this, now there is a queue of Italians outside my door asking when the pizzas will be ready😀
    😎

What's the fuel source?  I ask because depending on what it is, you might be able to get some great heat out of it.  It makes for a better crust.

It burns wood and charcoal, I'm going to try it out with oak. What would you suggest Ed?
    😎

Oak would be a good choice as it burns nice and hot. If you want to add a little flavor I would suggest tossing a stick or two of something else. Maybe some cherry, pear or apple. If you like the fruity flavor you can toss on some grape vines too. Or possibly some mesquite or hickory depending on the pizza toppings.

LOL. I actually strain and use my bacon fat. I then use it to cook with. Things like eggs, veggies etc are absolutely delicious when cooked with bacon fat. I use about 1/3 bacon fat and 2/3 olive oil. Keeps the flavor up and drops the nasty "bad" stuff a bit. Well at least it makes me feel better about myself.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:59 PM

😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

😎

😎

Oak and birch are good because they're hard and burn hot.  Just don't go with anything with a lot of resin - pine, spruce, etc.  Don't forget you can mix woods as well.  Personally, I like to use apple.  You'll find that experience will be your guide for what you and your family really like.  For example, I like smoke flavor a lot (too much, according to my wife 😛) and tend to use hickory and apple as my go-to for most things.  Don't be afraid to play around.  The real key for a pizza oven will be high heat.

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:17 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:03 AM

LOL. I actually strain and use my bacon fat. I then use it to cook with. Things like eggs, veggies etc are absolutely delicious when cooked with bacon fat. I use about 1/3 bacon fat and 2/3 olive oil. Keeps the flavor up and drops the nasty "bad" stuff a bit. Well at least it makes me feel better about myself.

So do I.  I think of it as culinary gold. It's good for almost any application that requires fat - which is a lot of them.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:03 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:17 AM

So do I.  I think of it as culinary gold. It's good for almost any application that requires fat - which is a lot of them.

When I was a child my mom would save the fat from cooking bacon.  Didn't know people still did that.  I don't, but then I don't do a lot of cooking.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:29 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:03 AM

When I was a child my mom would save the fat from cooking bacon.  Didn't know people still did that.  I don't, but then I don't do a lot of cooking.

Believe it or not, I also do canning (as in shelf-stable preserving), smoke my own BBQ, make my own pasta (not as hard as it sounds) and will even grind my own meat when needed.  Cooking is something I really enjoy.

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:54 AM

Parental visit. With BBQ Pulled Pork.

I just...I'm sorry Brandie, but my head went to "kidneys, with fava beans and a nice chianti"......your poor parents...E

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:11 AM

I just...I'm sorry Brandie, but my head went to "kidneys, with fava beans and a nice chianti"......your poor parents...E

THWACK!

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:40 AM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:29 AM

Believe it or not, I also do canning (as in shelf-stable preserving), smoke my own BBQ, make my own pasta (not as hard as it sounds) and will even grind my own meat when needed.  Cooking is something I really enjoy.

I've done some preserves recently, very satisfying. Home-made pickled beetroot is far superior to what I get in the shops here (yes, I like beetroot). Maybe next spring/summer I'll try onions, lemons (preserved in salt) and cauliflower, see how they go.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:40 AM

I obviously enjoy cooking since I spent a decade of my life dedicated to the craft. I really like making my own sausage. I am sure some of you remember I have been curing my own bacon. And I am going to try my hand at curing pepperoni this summer.

What kinds of pasta do you make Ed? Sheets and fettucine are pretty easy with a standard roller. Then orchiette is pretty easy since you can shape them by hand. But the more complex shapes typically require some extrusion to do well.

Not sure why but the last 2-3 months I have been giving my fryer a workout. The kids love fresh chicken strips and I can get pretty creative frying up other delicious tidbits.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:28 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:40 AM

I've done some preserves recently, very satisfying. Home-made pickled beetroot is far superior to what I get in the shops here (yes, I like beetroot). Maybe next spring/summer I'll try onions, lemons (preserved in salt) and cauliflower, see how they go.

I find that most of the home-made preserves and anything pickled are better than what's available in the stores.  By the way, cauliflower pickles very well.

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:29 PM

I obviously enjoy cooking since I spent a decade of my life dedicated to the craft. I really like making my own sausage. I am sure some of you remember I have been curing my own bacon. And I am going to try my hand at curing pepperoni this summer.

What kinds of pasta do you make Ed? Sheets and fettucine are pretty easy with a standard roller. Then orchiette is pretty easy since you can shape them by hand. But the more complex shapes typically require some extrusion to do well.

Not sure why but the last 2-3 months I have been giving my fryer a workout. The kids love fresh chicken strips and I can get pretty creative frying up other delicious tidbits.

Fettuccine, linguine and spaghetti are all standard fare.  I do have an extruder for my Kitchen Aid, so penne, macaroni, the little spirals, etc. are all fair game.  I also do tagliatelle, pappardelle, orecchiette, but they require manual cuts or shaping.  I've been rumored to invent my own shapes, just to see how it turns out.  I really like making ravioli, my favorite (and the hardest one) has to be ravioli al uovo.  It's the ravioli with the egg yolk inside, surrounded by an herbed ricotta.  The trick it to make the pasta really thin and cook it just enough to cook the pasta and heat the cheese, but leave the egg yolk runny.

Oh yeah, I love Italian food. 😉

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:46 PM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:29 PM

Fettuccine, linguine and spaghetti are all standard fare.  I do have an extruder for my Kitchen Aid, so penne, macaroni, the little spirals, etc. are all fair game.  I also do tagliatelle, pappardelle, orecchiette, but they require manual cuts or shaping.  I've been rumored to invent my own shapes, just to see how it turns out.  I really like making ravioli, my favorite (and the hardest one) has to be ravioli al uovo.  It's the ravioli with the egg yolk inside, surrounded by an herbed ricotta.  The trick it to make the pasta really thin and cook it just enough to cook the pasta and heat the cheese, but leave the egg yolk runny.

Yeah I have ravioli press so I can make them pretty fast and super consistent. That is left over my chef days. My signature dish is my roasted eggplant ravioli. Odd really...I am one the world's most ravenous carnivores and my signature dish is vegetarian, although not vegan as their is of course eggs in the pasta and some parmesan cheese in the filling and butter in the sauce. If you are interested I would be happy to share my recipe but it is quite involved. And of course I have no quantities to anything, just the list of ingredients. Drives my wife nuts. She likes to look at my recipes and still can't understand why it is just a list of stuff. I always explain they are in a certain order so I remember the process. 😀 Of course the order is just the order that they appear in the dish.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:46 PM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:29 PM

So, what time is dinner???

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:37 PM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:28 PM

I find that most of the home-made preserves and anything pickled are better than what's available in the stores.  By the way, cauliflower pickles very well.

Excellent. Next spring I'll get some good cauliflower, baby onions, baby beetroot and more jars.
    I added a dried chilli to the pickling vinegar for the beetroot. Was a nice addition, not hot, but a little extra spice that went very well with the beetroot.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 58,681 through 58,695 (of 66,567 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply