Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:00 AM

Neil Burton - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:16 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 7:12 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

So, for those in the US, any big plans for the upcoming long weekend?

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

Weekend's task, breaking in the Pizza Oven
    😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

Ooh shiny.  I want one of those but I've only got a small backyard (in the stone-flagged Northern England sense) and there's already a bike, charcoal grill and an offset smoker in there.

Should not have posted this, now there is a queue of Italians outside my door asking when the pizzas will be readyπŸ˜€
    😎

What's the fuel source?  I ask because depending on what it is, you might be able to get some great heat out of it.  It makes for a better crust.

• I learned something new today: # is a valid temp table name.

CREATE TABLE #(id int);
    INSERT # VALUES (1);
    SELECT * FROM #;
    DROP TABLE #;

Didn't learn anything useful today however. πŸ™

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Alan.B - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:30 PM

I learned something new today: # is a valid temp table name.

CREATE TABLE #(id int);
    INSERT # VALUES (1);
    SELECT * FROM #;
    DROP TABLE #;

That's a dangerous thing to allow. I wish they wouldn't do this.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:54 PM

Alan.B - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:30 PM

I learned something new today: # is a valid temp table name.

CREATE TABLE #(id int);
    INSERT # VALUES (1);
    SELECT * FROM #;
    DROP TABLE #;

That's a dangerous thing to allow. I wish they wouldn't do this.

Go and watch Rob Volk's session "Revenge: The SQL". There are a lot of things they allow they shouldn't. Rob seems to have specialized in finding them all.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

Apparently, there is nothing wrong with NOLOCK.

It's inbuilt in in-memory objects, and it's a new big thing.

So, shut up you pensioners!

NOLOCK is good.

Approved by Microsoft.

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:16 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:00 AM

Me, I'm going to be painting our bathroom (oh fun,) and building some shelves for our cats to get up on to look out a window when they want.

😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

Ooh shiny.  I want one of those but I've only got a small backyard (in the stone-flagged Northern England sense) and there's already a bike, charcoal grill and an offset smoker in there.

Should not have posted this, now there is a queue of Italians outside my door asking when the pizzas will be readyπŸ˜€
    😎

What's the fuel source?  I ask because depending on what it is, you might be able to get some great heat out of it.  It makes for a better crust.

It burns wood and charcoal, I'm going to try it out with oak. What would you suggest Ed?
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:00 AM

😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

😎

Awesome!
    Best pizza I ever had was from a mobile rig, wouldn't have been much different from this apart from the missing Land Rover. Wood-fired oven, pizza made by hand while you watched then cooked on stone.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Sergiy - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 PM

Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

Apparently, there is nothing wrong with NOLOCK.It's inbuilt in in-memory objects, and it's a new big thing.So, shut up you pensioners! NOLOCK is good.Approved by Microsoft.

In case I am missing the sarcasm, consider the below is unposted.
    In case this was a serious reply, I suggest that you do some further reading on in-memory and optimistic concurrency. It is not at all like NOLOCK.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:13 PM

That's cute.  Of course, they would have gained points if their response was "African or European" back to you. πŸ˜›

Well exactly.
    I know some of the people who work there, but not this person. Also it includes an internal mailing list. But it is so much against my basic nature to not add humour into my responses. I got another one saying well that sound like a lot of work, did you need any help? I don't think its a lot of work, its mostly hitting people over the head (metaphorically speaking) until they agree I can delete their now 6 month old backup and did they really need 3 copies of the same database on the instance as we really do need the space... The actual tidy up is straightforward! In my reply I almost said if I do need help I shall email you faster than an unladed swallow (European or otherwise)... But again I didn't πŸ˜€
    I think I might go for slight humour in the next one... Otherwise

I may have to go outside and yell soon...

Rodders...

• I logged some changes and other tickets last week. CAB was yesterday and the changes got OK'd and are now working their way through the system.
    But one ticket didn't seem to have had anything done. I was asking for permission to tidy up a drive on a server which is lacking in free space, but I didn't know why these various backups and detached copies of the mdfs were on there. Just found the ticket. I accidently assigned it to myself! Doh! No wonder no-one has given me the all clear...
    I'm taking solace in the other 6 having been set up correctly, at least.

Rodders...

• Sergiy - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 PM

Anyone in the mood for talking about RAM requirements while remaining tight-lipped about the use of NOLOCK? Here you go.

Apparently, there is nothing wrong with NOLOCK.It's inbuilt in in-memory objects, and it's a new big thing.So, shut up you pensioners! NOLOCK is good.Approved by Microsoft.

Azure SQL Data Warehouse connections are all READ_UNCOMMITTED.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• rodjkidd - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:19 AM

I logged some changes and other tickets last week. CAB was yesterday and the changes got OK'd and are now working their way through the system.
    But one ticket didn't seem to have had anything done. I was asking for permission to tidy up a drive on a server which is lacking in free space, but I didn't know why these various backups and detached copies of the mdfs were on there. Just found the ticket. I accidently assigned it to myself! Doh! No wonder no-one has given me the all clear...

Rodders...

Deadlock, or you can just give yourself the go ahead. πŸ˜›
    Was the homing pigeon that ticket was attached to in an African or European swallow costume by chance?

• jasona.work - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:30 AM

Parental visit. With BBQ Pulled Pork.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Greg Edwards-268690 - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:49 AM

rodjkidd - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:19 AM

I logged some changes and other tickets last week. CAB was yesterday and the changes got OK'd and are now working their way through the system.

Rodders...

Deadlock, or you can just give yourself the go ahead. πŸ˜›
    Was the homing pigeon that ticket was attached to in an African or European swallow costume by chance?

Haha!
    Luckily I needed the Go / No Go from one of the people I "report" to here. But yes I guess I could have gone ahead anyway!
    So between us we've cleared some of it down - that are absolutely not used - a second copy of the tempdb files anyone? But there is still some files looking to be deleted.
    Ah that's what happened it was dressed up as swallow πŸ˜‰

Rodders..

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:59 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:16 PM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:00 AM

😎
    Gardenline Pizza Oven

😎

It burns wood and charcoal, I'm going to try it out with oak. What would you suggest Ed?
    😎

Oak would be a good choice as it burns nice and hot. If you want to add a little flavor I would suggest tossing a stick or two of something else. Maybe some cherry, pear or apple. If you like the fruity flavor you can toss on some grape vines too. Or possibly some mesquite or hickory depending on the pizza toppings.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 58,666 through 58,680 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply