Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Geez, nothing since yesterday morning...

Did someone forget to refill the water cooler, or feed the hippo?

• jasona.work (8/27/2015)

Geez, nothing since yesterday morning...

Nah - the cable repair man needed exclusive access to the site.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/27/2015)

jasona.work (8/27/2015)

Now that the cable has been repaired, the site is moving well again.

• Ed Wagner (8/27/2015)

SQLRNNR (8/27/2015)

jasona.work (8/27/2015)

Now that the cable has been repaired, the site is moving well again.

Duct taped and baling wired fixed, spliced back together, or a new cable run?

• I had a fun afternoon / morning of ol' fashioned data entry. Joyous!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Silver spoon, you post a question and then remove it? Why?

Reported the "post" deleted by OP, suggested removing the post entirely. Why leave a non question around.

• Lynn Pettis (8/27/2015)

Silver spoon, you post a question and then remove it? Why?

Reported the "post" deleted by OP, suggested removing the post entirely. Why leave a non question around.

I saw that yesterday. I was so very, very tempted to post that it was his simplest, more straightforward post I've ever seen. 😛

• SQLSatOlso precons are in full swing.

We've been packing bags, and sorting out attendee badges etc.

Also as I've got my camera lots of pictures of the two pre-cons. For those who know David Peter Hansen ihe totally corpsed and lost it when I started. We've know each for so for some years. Once I have the pictures off the camera, I forgot my card reader! I will post them up on flickr for you all to have a laugh at.

Rodders...

• Just upgraded my toy to Windows 10 (MS had work to do to make it possible on tis hardware, so couldn't do it earlier).

It took a very long time to do the basic thing. Scheduling it was fun because MS interpreted the schedule as if I were in GMT+3 instead of GMT+1, so wanted to start it before I was ready (the timezone carried forwards as GMT+1 despite that). And then had to do more upgrading for the admin user, and another heap for my usual user (remaining users are rarely used, I'll fix when needed). Then I had to configure stuff where it ought to have pulled the configuration forward. And all the time message saying "this is taking longer than usual" as if MS had only tried upgrades on machines that didn't have much of anything on them.

The really annoying things were twofold: (i) cross-user permissions (where one use has access to some of another user's filestore) was all dropped and had to be recreated; that was a heavy pain and a big waster of time (cascading permissions down large trees); (ii) local services that had been on automatic start were changed to manual start (including sql server). No warning at all about either of these - found out the hard way when things just didn't work. Discovered in the course of fixing the permissions that groups had permissions that were not passed on to their members - but haven't yet tried creating a new group and assigning permissions to see if they get passed down automatically.

This is a pretty sloppy upgrade mechanism, but I guess it's better than rebuilding everything from scratch.

Tom

• TomThomson (8/30/2015)

Just upgraded my toy to Windows 10 (MS had work to do to make it possible on tis hardware, so couldn't do it earlier).

It took a very long time to do the basic thing. Scheduling it was fun because MS interpreted the schedule as if I were in GMT+3 instead of GMT+1, so wanted to start it before I was ready (the timezone carried forwards as GMT+1 despite that). And then had to do more upgrading for the admin user, and another heap for my usual user (remaining users are rarely used, I'll fix when needed). Then I had to configure stuff where it ought to have pulled the configuration forward. And all the time message saying "this is taking longer than usual" as if MS had only tried upgrades on machines that didn't have much of anything on them.

The really annoying things were twofold: (i) cross-user permissions (where one use has access to some of another user's filestore) was all dropped and had to be recreated; that was a heavy pain and a big waster of time (cascading permissions down large trees); (ii) local services that had been on automatic start were changed to manual start (including sql server). No warning at all about either of these - found out the hard way when things just didn't work. Discovered in the course of fixing the permissions that groups had permissions that were not passed on to their members - but haven't yet tried creating a new group and assigning permissions to see if they get passed down automatically.

This is a pretty sloppy upgrade mechanism, but I guess it's better than rebuilding everything from scratch.

That sounds par for the course when upgrading Windows. OS upgrade problems go back a ways, so why should the newest be any different. Nowadays, I tend to buy a machine and stick with the OS it came with except for security updates. I haven't done an in-place upgrade to a new OS in quite some time.

• Ed Wagner (8/31/2015)

TomThomson (8/30/2015)

Just upgraded my toy to Windows 10 (MS had work to do to make it possible on tis hardware, so couldn't do it earlier).

That sounds par for the course when upgrading Windows. OS upgrade problems go back a ways, so why should the newest be any different. Nowadays, I tend to buy a machine and stick with the OS it came with except for security updates. I haven't done an in-place upgrade to a new OS in quite some time.

I am planning to upgrade at least one of my machines. Haven't decided if it'll be the 8.1 or 7. But I'm waiting to hear feed back from everyone else on upgrade issues. Probably do it in late October.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I have three upgrades I need to do.

Server to Win 2012 R2

Desktop, currently Win 7, to Win 10 (nuke and reload)

Laptop, currently Win 8.1, to Win 10 (probably an upgrade)

Not looking forward to that, going to take ages.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Brandie Tarvin (8/31/2015)

I am planning to upgrade at least one of my machines. Haven't decided if it'll be the 8.1 or 7. But I'm waiting to hear feed back from everyone else on upgrade issues. Probably do it in late October.

My advice, upgrade the 8.1. Just a personal preference, but I prefer 7 to 8.1. And if you're concerned about privacy, 7 seems like a better option.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • For the upgrade to 10, I think I'd suggest holding off a while. I'm seeing occasional errors: faulty_hardware_corrupted_page. From the Microsoft forums, quite a few others are as well. Seems to cut across the hardware spectrum, Asus, Dell, Toshiba, so it's probably not a proprietary driver. It seems to be something in the OS. One or two more updates before I'd suggest installing it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (8/31/2015)

For the upgrade to 10, I think I'd suggest holding off a while. I'm seeing occasional errors: faulty_hardware_corrupted_page. From the Microsoft forums, quite a few others are as well. Seems to cut across the hardware spectrum, Asus, Dell, Toshiba, so it's probably not a proprietary driver. It seems to be something in the OS. One or two more updates before I'd suggest installing it.

Interesting. I was thinking about doing a wipe and reload of my laptop before the PASS Summit, but also thinking about waiting because I don't want to screw my presentation.

Viewing 15 posts - 50,371 through 50,385 (of 66,564 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply