Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLBill (7/6/2015)

I was told at an interview....we pay for 40 hours of work, but expect you to work more than that. I responded....if the job regularly takes more than 40 hours per week, you need to either hire more DBAs or pay for the extra hours. I don't mind working extra hours when it is required because of being oncall or an emergency. I don't mind staying when I'm working on something and it is going to take longer than my 8 hour day and can't wait until the next day...but I'm not going to put in over 40 hours just 'because'. They hired me and I've followed my 'rules'. Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

Are you now getting paid for those extra hours?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Grant Fritchey (7/2/2015)

Since I am usually the harbinger of ill tidings on the thread, you guys should know, Skynet seems to be going live.

"the robot had not suffered a technical defect"

Wow. "Item closed as by design"?!

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (7/7/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/2/2015)

Since I am usually the harbinger of ill tidings on the thread, you guys should know, Skynet seems to be going live.

Yeah - "not suffered a technical defect" is such a nice way of dealing with s family after someone's been killed. :sick:

I'm familiar with those types of robots and the expanded metal fencing that encloses their work area. Let me tell you with 100% certainty that if the robot was programmed to go through the fence and do something it could reach, it could go through the fence without even slowing down. They're very powerful machines that can move significant weight be programmed to do nearly any task they can physically reach. The fence is there primarily to keep people out. That's why optional "light screens" are installed. If anything (a person's hand, flying part, robot head, etc.) breaks the light between the two points, the cell shuts down. It's a safety measure. The robot's range of motion is a full 360-degree circle and is only limited by the total physical length. In the USA, they're normally powered by 480V 3-phase power and have up to 7 axes. In short, they're very powerful and versatile machines.

Not suffering "a technical defect" sounds like word-parsing to me. Did someone screw up the robot programming? There is a root cause, whether or not the company wants to admit it or not.

• Ed Wagner (7/7/2015)

andrew gothard (7/7/2015)

Yeah - "not suffered a technical defect" is such a nice way of dealing with s family after someone's been killed. :sick:

I'm familiar with those types of robots and the expanded metal fencing that encloses their work area. Let me tell you with 100% certainty that if the robot was programmed to go through the fence and do something it could reach, it could go through the fence without even slowing down. They're very powerful machines that can move significant weight be programmed to do nearly any task they can physically reach. The fence is there primarily to keep people out. That's why optional "light screens" are installed. If anything (a person's hand, flying part, robot head, etc.) breaks the light between the two points, the cell shuts down. It's a safety measure. The robot's range of motion is a full 360-degree circle and is only limited by the total physical length. In the USA, they're normally powered by 480V 3-phase power and have up to 7 axes. In short, they're very powerful and versatile machines.

Not suffering "a technical defect" sounds like word-parsing to me. Did someone screw up the robot programming? There is a root cause, whether or not the company wants to admit it or not.

I haven't read anything about this since the original posting, so please excuse me if I say anything that has already been said.

It's very possible that the robot made a movement that it was programmed to do as part of its normal operation. This movement could have been accidentally triggered by any of the workers. The cage was there to prevent anybody being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/7/2015)

Ed Wagner (7/7/2015)

andrew gothard (7/7/2015)

I haven't read anything about this since the original posting, so please excuse me if I say anything that has already been said.

It's very possible that the robot made a movement that it was programmed to do as part of its normal operation. This movement could have been accidentally trigger by any of the workers. The cage was there to prevent anybody being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The cage is there to dissuade. If someone is determined - and stupid - enough to venture within the confines of the safety cage whilst the machine is operating, they risk injury or death.

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Koen Verbeeck (7/7/2015)

SQLBill (7/6/2015)

I was told at an interview....we pay for 40 hours of work, but expect you to work more than that. I responded....if the job regularly takes more than 40 hours per week, you need to either hire more DBAs or pay for the extra hours. I don't mind working extra hours when it is required because of being oncall or an emergency. I don't mind staying when I'm working on something and it is going to take longer than my 8 hour day and can't wait until the next day...but I'm not going to put in over 40 hours just 'because'. They hired me and I've followed my 'rules'. Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

Are you now getting paid for those extra hours?

No....but I don't mind staying to finish a job/resolve an issue that can't wait until tomorrow. Some times things happen and you need to take care of them past your normal hours. It's just the expectation that you will work over 40 hours without pay 'just because' that I have issues with.

-SQLBill

• TomThomson (7/7/2015)

SQLBill (7/6/2015)

Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

I suspect you didn't mean that.

Or maybe Alvin's question (3 posts back in this thread) is relevant? :w00t:

Should have said.... Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....my day is done. Otherwise, if necessary, I stay to get it done. ๐Ÿ™‚

-SQLBill

• TomThomson (7/7/2015)

SQLBill (7/6/2015)

Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

I suspect you didn't mean that.

Or maybe Alvin's question (3 posts back in this thread) is relevant? :w00t:

A FORMER employer tried this once.

๐Ÿ˜Ž

He he, the reply bug again

• Out of idle curiosity - is anybody else from the SSC clan attending the Manchester SQL Saturday http://www.sqlsaturday.com/418/eventhome.aspx?

• BrainDonor (7/8/2015)

Out of idle curiosity - is anybody else from the SSC clan attending the Manchester SQL Saturday http://www.sqlsaturday.com/418/eventhome.aspx?

Yep I am. No surprise there I guess!

Oddly enough I just got in touch with a couple of regulars, and asked them, but they can't make it for this one.

As it's the first Manchester I know Karla is planning on making the trip over.

Rodders...

• BrainDonor (7/8/2015)

Out of idle curiosity - is anybody else from the SSC clan attending the Manchester SQL Saturday http://www.sqlsaturday.com/418/eventhome.aspx?

I'd be there on Saturday but it's already fully booked up. Hadn't heard of the event until I saw your message (this despite being registered as a member of the Manchester PASS chapter - I just checked to see that I was already registered, because I recall another chapter losing me altogether). PASS organisation in UK still seems to be a bit chaotic, I get PASS email very rarely (and only from PASS in the USA, which is better that when I first registered and got nothing at all until I registered again because I reckoned they had lost me somehow).

Tom

• TomThomson (7/8/2015)

BrainDonor (7/8/2015)

I'd be there on Saturday but it's already fully booked up. Hadn't heard of the event until I saw your message (this despite being registered as a member of the Manchester PASS chapter - I just checked to see that I was already registered, because I recall another chapter losing me altogether). PASS organisation in UK still seems to be a bit chaotic, I get PASS email very rarely (and only from PASS in the USA, which is better that when I first registered and got nothing at all until I registered again because I reckoned they had lost me somehow).

Oh wow, I knew it at 80 percent a couple of days ago.

Is there a waiting list? There is normally a no show percentage. I'd email Chris Tesla ONeil if not.

Rodders...

• Yes, PASS UK isn't well organised. I found out about by chance, having decided to search on the PASS website for anything in trhe UK.

• BrainDonor (7/8/2015)

Yes, PASS UK isn't well organised. I found out about by chance, having decided to search on the PASS website for anything in trhe UK.

Really? It's mentioned at most events, the UGs should mention what's coming up. The UK SQL Sats are normally listed in UG emails. So I guess it depends on whether you manage to attend an of UGs as I'll admit I don't think I've seem anything from PASS central about them. Twitter seems to be the main place the SQL Sats get announced.

It's always worth scanning the reserved list on the SQL Sat web site every couple of weeks. As they will normally sit there for a 6 or so weeks. Just waiting for Southampton to confirmed in December, its been on the reserved list since the start of the year.

I'll mention the lack of PASS promotion of them to the UG leaders I know.

Rodders...

• BrainDonor (7/8/2015)

I was going to go, then forgot about it until the other day and when I went to register it was booked up. Quite annoying but nobody to blame but me ๐Ÿ™

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 15 posts - 49,321 through 49,335 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply