Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I heard of one company where flexible hours meant you had to be in the office between 10 AM and 2 PM. That was mainly to have a period during which you could schedule meeting.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Koen Verbeeck (7/3/2015)

At my very first project, I sometimes came in really early, just to beat traffic jams. This also meant I left early. My manager told me some people were upset because I left early. I told him that I arrive early as well and that I do my required 8 hours a day. He replied with: "I know, but they don't see that, because they arrive later". My reply: "Not my problem...". That manager told me that I was still very young and that I had a lot to learn, and that I would change my mindset later on. After a few years, I can safely say I have become only more confidant of my mindset 😀

I did it the other way round - came in late to avoid the traffic (which made the bus journey twice as long if I came in early) , and stayed late. One day I got a message that the big white chief wanted to see me (I was a trainee something or other, he was in charge of Nelson Research Labs, with a few hundred people doing research under his direction) so I went with some trepidation to brave his secretary (a veritable dragon) and gain access to the inner sanctum. He explained that people in one of the divisions were commenting unfavorably on my late arrivals. I explained that I was staying later tocompensate. He responded that he already knew that, and so far as he was concerned it wasn't a problem, he had asked the security staff about my hours and the conclusion was that I was putting more hour in than my contact required. Therefor he wanted me to go to the payroll office and give them details of my working hours for the last few weeks so that they could provide the appropriate monetary compensation for the extra time I had put in. At the time I was carless, and the result was that I acquired sufficient pennies to buy a used car and get the required insurance for it, so now I could contribute to the traffic problems if I so chose. What it mostly got used for was travelling to see my parents or my girlfriend and attend the regular computing seminars at Cambridge U's maths lab (which counted as work, so the company paid my travel costs).

Tom

• Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

BL0B_EATER (7/3/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/3/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

That reminds me of the old dot com days. It was expected that everyone was going to work like pigs, nights & weekends. Most of them were kids in their 20s with no families. I, on the other hand, was in my 30s and had kids. I went home, regularly. It freaked people out.

+1000

I had my first kid since I was 24.

Actual conversation:

"You're going home early? I'm not leaving till 7pm."

"Do you have kids?"

"Euhm. No."

"Then don't try to understand my situation."

😀

I am perceived as lazy because I leave early to pick my child up from school (4pm). They forget that I have been in since 715am.

That used to an issue for me as well. "We have flexible hours." Cool, I'm working from 6AM to 3PM. "We meant you don't have to come in til 10AM, but you're staying til 10PM"

That's my schedule too. "O'dark o'thirty" as one coworker called it. I like to miss all the rush hour nonsense, especially as I live just past an interstate junction and a set of railroad tracks. If I tried this commute during rush hour, I'd be over an hour getting to and from work. As it is, I get here in 20-25 minutes. I also get to leave early to do all my afternoon errands.

The coworkers are pretty accepting because they all know I'm here. Some of them see it. My boss likes having the early person to make sure things are working before the majority comes into the office. Then we have a "regular" day person, and a late-in / late-out person, covering pretty much all three "shifts".

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

BL0B_EATER (7/3/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (7/3/2015)

Grant Fritchey (7/3/2015)

That reminds me of the old dot com days. It was expected that everyone was going to work like pigs, nights & weekends. Most of them were kids in their 20s with no families. I, on the other hand, was in my 30s and had kids. I went home, regularly. It freaked people out.

+1000

I had my first kid since I was 24.

Actual conversation:

"You're going home early? I'm not leaving till 7pm."

"Do you have kids?"

"Euhm. No."

"Then don't try to understand my situation."

😀

I am perceived as lazy because I leave early to pick my child up from school (4pm). They forget that I have been in since 715am.

That used to an issue for me as well. "We have flexible hours." Cool, I'm working from 6AM to 3PM. "We meant you don't have to come in til 10AM, but you're staying til 10PM"

Worked at a place that if you came in early that was okay but not seen as overtime. (not that you got payed for it but they wanted you to work more than 40 hours)

• djj (7/6/2015)

Worked at a place that if you came in early that was okay but not seen as overtime. (not that you got payed for it but they wanted you to work more than 40 hours)

I worked at a place where overtime was not allowed except in some exceptional cases, so when the bell rang and I was fixing something, I had to punch out and stay until everything was ok.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (7/6/2015)

djj (7/6/2015)

I worked at a place where overtime was not allowed except in some exceptional cases, so when the bell rang and I was fixing something, I had to punch out and stay until everything was ok.

'Worked' is the important word here 🙂

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (7/6/2015)

spaghettidba (7/6/2015)

djj (7/6/2015)

'Worked' is the important word here 🙂

I couldn't agree more there - that's just not right for an employee who's paid by the hour. I've worked under some restrictive OT rules before, but never like that one. Then again, I've been salaried for so long now that I haven't had to deal with upper hours limits in a long time. I've seen core hours of 9:00 to 3:00, some very unusual vacation policy, daily restrictions, weekly restrictions and average hours calculated in some very unusual ways.

When you get a manufacturing environment involved, the hours and pay calculation between straight time, overtime and double time gets much more complicated. Then, it all changes when something new gets negotiated, except the salaried employees.

• When I worked in the video game industry, we always crunched. As development was in Oslo, Beijing, Montreal and Raleigh, we all had different standards for how overtime was handled. Ultimately, it caused some tension between teams and deadlines.

For me, I didn't work as a developer, but in digital marketing that was responsible for all of North America. I was always pushing overtime and working as late as 3AM on the norm. Even today, because of my ways for 7 years, I still don't go to bed until 2AM because I'm so set on the bed schedule.

I personally don't mind it. I loved what I did. Plenty of my co-workers and team did the same. But today, I have a wife, kid and another one on the way. I am able to say, "No" better than what I could before on behalf of my family.

• spaghettidba (7/6/2015)

djj (7/6/2015)

Not cool.

If you are making me clock out, then I am leaving. Not working for free. I've done that (work for free) far too much and it isn't right of an employer to demand it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/6/2015)

spaghettidba (7/6/2015)

djj (7/6/2015)

Not cool.

If you are making me clock out, then I am leaving. Not working for free. I've done that (work for free) far too much and it isn't right of an employer to demand it.

It wasn't the worst thing in that place.

I was also forced drink coffee at my desk, because the CEO didn't want to see more than 2 people at the coffee machine.

I was promised a raise when I was hired and it never arrived.

Professional training, conferences and workshops were seen as a personal "bonus" to the employee and you had to get the CEO in person to approve it, because time outside the office is "wasted time".

The only good thing about that job is that it forced me into freelancing. Worst job ever turned into best job ever.

Two years after I left, the company was in financial issues. Karma is a bitch.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• New question: Is the sanity of those trying to answer posted questions getting worse?

Mine sure is! :hehe:

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/6/2015)

New question: Is the sanity of those trying to answer posted questions getting worse?

Sanity?

What is this thing you speak of? Define it in simple terms, please. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/6/2015)

Alvin Ramard (7/6/2015)

New question: Is the sanity of those trying to answer posted questions getting worse?

Sanity?

What is this thing you speak of? Define it in simple terms, please. @=)

Why should I bother? Looks like yours got worse too and it's too late to help you. :doze:

Alvin Ramard

• Koen Verbeeck (7/3/2015)

GilaMonster (7/3/2015)

TomThomson (7/3/2015)

But don't make the mistake of thinking that all-nighters are always a sign of problems, or long hours (how can long hours be "heroic"?).

No, I'm not talking about the occasional late night, or the shifting of hours within a week (I do that all the time) to go home early on Fridays (or not work them at all)

I'm talking about things like working 10-12 hour days, 6-7 days a week for weeks on end and assuming that doing so is expected and required to get ahead in our industry. Worse, teaching new graduates, by example, that it's the norm.

Hell, my company has a reward given to people who work more than 180 hours in a month. I got it back in February and when my boss commented on it I told him that I'd clearly messed up somewhere if 180 hours in a month was required.

Part of this comes from a discussion I had with 2 of my company's latest graduate group. They were lamenting in the kitchen yesterday that they were one man short because one of the team had stayed home sick (flu's going around)

My reply was "Good for him", and I pointed out to them that coming in to work while sick is stupid and counter-productive (you can't work well when really sick, and are just going to make the rest of the people sick)

They agreed with me, probably because they're still in the university mindset of 'agree with your teachers', but I could see that they were surprised by my opinion.

Ugh. I hate the mindset of "you have to do a lot of hours if you want to be succesful".

It only shows you do not know how to be productive in 40 hours.

I had an interview at KPMG once: "We know we have standard contracts of 40 hours per week, but we expect you to do more." Never went back there.

At my very first project, I sometimes came in really early, just to beat traffic jams. This also meant I left early. My manager told me some people were upset because I left early. I told him that I arrive early as well and that I do my required 8 hours a day. He replied with: "I know, but they don't see that, because they arrive later". My reply: "Not my problem...". That manager told me that I was still very young and that I had a lot to learn, and that I would change my mindset later on. After a few years, I can safely say I have become only more confidant of my mindset 😀

I have even refused to go on projects because the commute was too long. It would have made a too big of an impact on my personal life. Managers don't get really happy when you tell them that.

I was told at an interview....we pay for 40 hours of work, but expect you to work more than that. I responded....if the job regularly takes more than 40 hours per week, you need to either hire more DBAs or pay for the extra hours. I don't mind working extra hours when it is required because of being oncall or an emergency. I don't mind staying when I'm working on something and it is going to take longer than my 8 hour day and can't wait until the next day...but I'm not going to put in over 40 hours just 'because'. They hired me and I've followed my 'rules'. Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (7/6/2015)

Unless it is pressing and can't wait for the next day....I stay to get it done...otherwise....my day is done.

-SQLBill

I suspect you didn't mean that.

Or maybe Alvin's question (3 posts back in this thread) is relevant? :w00t:

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 49,306 through 49,320 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply