Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/5/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (7/5/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Just so we're all clear on this, I'm interested in how you justify things like attending the summit to the person paying. I have heard of some people having 'difficult' discussions with their employer over the relative merits.

Unfortunately, not all of us can. Especially given the recent economic woes. Training has been cut back severely. Conferences like PASS are not an option unless we take vacation and pay for it ourselves.

And for contractors like me, the economic woes have nothing to do with it. We're expected to pay for all our own training and travel and have no paid vacation to take to go to a conference.

^ which is why we get paid about 20-25% higher then average, in theory. Though, in reality, that just covers vacations, unpaid holidays, and sick days most of the time.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (7/5/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Just so we're all clear on this, I'm interested in how you justify things like attending the summit to the person paying. I have heard of some people having 'difficult' discussions with their employer over the relative merits.

Unfortunately, not all of us can. Especially given the recent economic woes. Training has been cut back severely. Conferences like PASS are not an option unless we take vacation and pay for it ourselves.

And for contractors like me, the economic woes have nothing to do with it. We're expected to pay for all our own training and travel and have no paid vacation to take to go to a conference.

^ which is why we get paid about 20-25% higher then average, in theory. Though, in reality, that just covers vacations, unpaid holidays, and sick days most of the time.

And I thought it was 20-25% higher to cover the 20-25% of time that you are between contracts :P.

I tried contract work for a while but I found I wasn't cut out for the part of the time that I was in between contracts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (7/5/2011)

And I thought it was 20-25% higher to cover the 20-25% of time that you are between contracts :P.

I tried contract work for a while but I found I wasn't cut out for the part of the time that I was in between contracts.

Nope, that's not the official justification. When they used to cover that they called it 'benching'. You would get paid 1/2 to 1/3 of your standard contract rate between contracts, and use that time training to be a better asset to the company.

The higher rate is to cover medical, sick, and vacation. The average consultant is out of work about 3-4 months a year (from some old numbers, may have changed). To cover that as WELL as the rest, you'd be looking at about a 50-60% higher rate.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Trey Staker (7/5/2011)

Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Did a short stint as a contractor about 18 years ago. That taught me that if I was going to do consulting, especially on my own, that I would need one years salary in the bank to cover slow pays and time between contracts.

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Yep, and since this would come out of any vacation I might want to take, I have to balance that against spending times with my friends and family. Something local I can handle, but not a week-long trip to the west coast.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Trey Staker (7/5/2011)

Nope, that's not the official justification. When they used to cover that they called it 'benching'. You would get paid 1/2 to 1/3 of your standard contract rate between contracts, and use that time training to be a better asset to the company.

The higher rate is to cover medical, sick, and vacation. The average consultant is out of work about 3-4 months a year (from some old numbers, may have changed). To cover that as WELL as the rest, you'd be looking at about a 50-60% higher rate.

And "benching" usually only happens if you're tied to a single consulting agency, usually as an "in-house resource". This combines the lower pay of a full-time employee with the never knowing when and where you'll be working of a contractor. The worst of both worlds, that's why I use many agencies and don't tie myself to any of them. The one time I was in that position, they didn't bother training me when I was between gigs either.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• SQLRNNR (7/5/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/2/2011)

GilaMonster (7/1/2011)

Thanks everyone. Wasn't actually planning on announcing it here.

Congratulations, Gail. This means that the top two non-employee posters for SSC have been selected again. ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats Jeff.

Thanks, Jason.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• SwayneBell (7/4/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/2/2011)

GilaMonster (7/1/2011)

Congratulations, Gail. This means that the top two non-employee posters for SSC have been selected again. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't feel qualified to be posting on the thread, but I'll break my rule for today.

You too Jeff?

Like Gail, very much deserved... you help me and many others more than you know.

Thanks for "coming out" for such a nice compliment. I also share G-Squared's point of view. This turned into a "watercooler" thread a long time ago and anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/5/2011)

SwayneBell (7/4/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/2/2011)

GilaMonster (7/1/2011)

I don't feel qualified to be posting on the thread, but I'll break my rule for today.

You too Jeff?

Like Gail, very much deserved... you help me and many others more than you know.

Thanks for "coming out" for such a nice compliment. I also share G-Squared's point of view. This turned into a "watercooler" thread a long time ago and anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

Dammit, somewhere else I've got to leave before they kick me out...

- Craig Farrell

• Gianluca Sartori (7/4/2011)

Looks like I missed a lot of things during the weekend...

Congratulations to Gail, Jeff and everyone else who got renewed!!!

Thanks, Gianluca.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Koen Verbeeck (7/3/2011)

Jeff Moden (7/2/2011)

GilaMonster (7/1/2011)

Congrats to the both of you!

Thanks, Koen.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Stefan Krzywicki (7/5/2011)

Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

Yep, and since this would come out of any vacation I might want to take, I have to balance that against spending times with my friends and family. Something local I can handle, but not a week-long trip to the west coast.

My stint as a contractor lasted 13 months on a long term contract that was supposed to last 1 1/2 with an option to go permanent but for a lot less money. The IT department I was in had a major re-org and they decided they had too many DBA's so the contractor was the one to go. I had been expecting it to last 5 more months so I was caught a bit off guard just before the fall holidays. Things really slow down here in AZ around the holidays but pick up the 1st of the year. I was fortunate to find my current gig in a little over a month. I went 3 weeks without any hits on my resume but on the 4th weeks I had about 6 companies interested in me. Because I was caught needing the work I took a slightly lower salary than I would probably have it I had made the full term. Also it was awkward to explain why the contract ended early.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker (7/5/2011)

Craig Farrell (7/5/2011)

SQLkiwi (7/5/2011)

My stint as a contractor lasted 13 months on a long term contract that was supposed to last 1 1/2 with an option to go permanent but for a lot less money. The IT department I was in had a major re-org and they decided they had too many DBA's so the contractor was the one to go. I had been expecting it to last 5 more months so I was caught a bit off guard just before the fall holidays. Things really slow down here in AZ around the holidays but pick up the 1st of the year. I was fortunate to find my current gig in a little over a month. I went 3 weeks without any hits on my resume but on the 4th weeks I had about 6 companies interested in me. Because I was caught needing the work I took a slightly lower salary than I would probably have it I had made the full term. Also it was awkward to explain why the contract ended early.

I always just state why it ended matter-of-factly, in your case I would have said "funding ran out". I've had 3 month contracts last 3 years and occasionally have contracts end a month or two early, you get used to it.

• Contracting to me is a double edge sword, on one hand you have more money - but you are looking out for your next job half way through your contract, permie work you thinking that you were contracting and earning more money.

Depending how you arrange things, in the UK you can also end up paying employers taxes along with your employees taxes. Then you have to pay any expenses (books, software, hotels etc.) out of your take home pay

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. โ€• Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Jeff Moden (7/5/2011)

This turned into a "watercooler" thread a long time ago and anyone with a minor dose of manners and a sense of humor is invited.

Damn! Counts me out twice. I'll close the door on my way out :crying:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 15 posts - 27,826 through 27,840 (of 66,589 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply