Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Dave Ballantyne (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

Why are there so many 'if you don't help me I'll lose my job' posts all over the place? I just got one by PM. Frankly, seeing that in a post doesn't make me more likely to reply, it makes me smell desperation and walk away because I don't want to be the person's designated helper for the next 6 months.

Also, what does it say to the world when you say "I can't write a simple procedure and if you don't help me I'll lose my job"

The thing that really confuses me is, how do these people get hired ?.

Is the interview process 'Have you heard of SQL ?'. Good, we'll entrust you with the well being of our company.

What really amazes me is why people can't do a simple Google Search. Okay, the best solutions are usually redirected to SQL ServerCentral 🙂 but still, the gross majority of problems can be solved by five minutes of idle typing.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Kit G (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

GSquared (1/6/2010)

If you can't access it, try Tarot cards to figure out the password.

I have a set, if you need me to do a reading.

If the password is encrypted and you need another reading, I have a set too.

Here's a fascinating piece on encryption with playing cards, based on Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

Gaby________________________________________________________________"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." - Albert Einstein

• Kit G (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

GSquared (1/6/2010)

How many cards are required for 128 bit encryption?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I see The Thread is alive and well. Happy 2010 to everyone.

• GabyYYZ (1/6/2010)

What really amazes me is why people can't do a simple Google Search. Okay, the best solutions are usually redirected to SQL ServerCentral 🙂 but still, the gross majority of problems can be solved by five minutes of idle typing.

Or how about all the questions that can easily be answered in BOL?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/6/2010)

I see The Thread is alive and well. Happy 2010 to everyone.

And to you Steve. Welcome back.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (1/6/2010)

Ditto

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• GabyYYZ (1/6/2010)

Kit G (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

GSquared (1/6/2010)

Here's a fascinating piece on encryption with playing cards, based on Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

I like number 7 on the llist at the bottom.....

Greg E

• GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

Why are there so many 'if you don't help me I'll lose my job' posts all over the place? I just got one by PM. Frankly, seeing that in a post doesn't make me more likely to reply, it makes me smell desperation and walk away because I don't want to be the person's designated helper for the next 6 months.

Also, what does it say to the world when you say "I can't write a simple procedure and if you don't help me I'll lose my job"

Personally, I hope they lose their jobs. I'll try to help,when & where I can, but... If it really comes down to some completely anonymous individual who you can't know is going to provide you with information, possibly of dubious origin, and that's going to save your job, sorry, you deserve to lose that job.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GSquared (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

To me, it says "scam". Either they scammed their way into a job they can't do, or they're scamming you. Simple as that. I just ignore statements like that and handle the post the way I would any other.

Heh... for me, "It depends". There are those occasions where I will help but, for the most part, I just walk away from that type of BS. For the most part, I think "Good enough you DA... that's what you get for lying on your interview and doing nothing to increase your usefulness after that." Most folks like that are also the ones that just want an answer and have no intention of actually turning it into a learning experience.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Dave Ballantyne (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

Is the interview process 'Have you heard of SQL ?'. Good, we'll entrust you with the well being of our company.

I've heard of similar hiring tactics. The tactic was "Can you write a Select *"

And now, I am fixing 100's of procs of nothing but select *

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (1/6/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

They find people willing to give them answers to questions normally asked during the interview and they memorize them. They look good during the interview and get hired, to the detriment of the company and those who were more qualified but didn't interview as well.

This is valid. I got burned by this once. Person interviewed well - knew the answers to the interview questions (suspect memorization), and I didn't go in-depth into the why's of the question. Regret that one still.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

GSquared (1/6/2010)

That might be a handy thing here in LV. Or for the proc that GUS wrote and telepathically posted.:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Alvin Ramard (1/6/2010)

GilaMonster (1/6/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (1/6/2010)

Ditto

And another Ditto

Learn Extended Events

• I just posted in the "save my job" thread a question to the OP as to what he expected to get in SSC that he didn't already get from SQLTeam three weeks ago.

Will he respond?

Viewing 15 posts - 10,471 through 10,485 (of 66,636 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply