Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Thanks Grant. I'm not looking at doing any speaking, just attending. I'll have a look at these and see how they fit in with the Calendar. 🙂

Misunderstood. Apologies. So, Bits is in a few weeks, taking place just outside Cardiff. Saturday is free. Other days, other costs.

No worries. Maybe one day I'll think about speaking, but I need to get some more attendance done first before I even consider braving it.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Talking about ChatGPT, has anyone seen this one yet? https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/tech/google-ai-bard-demo-error/index.html

<headdesk>

Yes... and they're making an big deal about it.  ChatGPT is constantly providing incorrect answers about code and people and doing so in such a manner that someone that doesn't know better will believe the damned thing.

You're missing the entire point of this.

I had a discussion last night with one of the behavioral psychologists from my old job,  Brilliant person.  He's only 28 years old and thinks on an entirely different level.  His contention is that AI will never be able to replace human learning because you cannot "program random".  It's always going to be an algorithm.  He expects it to die after people realize that it's wrong more often than not.

My come back is that ChatGPT, etc. will become very pervasive not because it produces CORRECT output, but because the output will eventually be good enough, and the companies can make money on it.  If they market it the right way, the masses will buy into it.  Right or wrong, if you sell something properly, people will buy it.

Michael, have you seen the movie Idiocracy? If not, just look around. AI is just another way for it to come true.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Michael, have you seen the movie Idiocracy? If not, just look around. AI is just another way for it to come true.

I hear about how good that movie was every now and again... Guess I'm gonna have to break down and watch it one of these days.

Also, I don't believe Michael has any contention with what I said.  What I got out of what he said is that it will still progress to a "good enough" state in the eyes of many and there's little anyone can do to stop such a thing despite its many, many flaws and the fact that it stated that I'd do something when the solution is nothing like I'd do it and one wouldn't even parse.

The good part is, it means that the SSC Sanitorium and DBA Disneyworld will ALWAYS have customers in those that listen to ChatGPT and still can't get things to work never mind perform well. 😀

Personally, I can't wait for someone to give me such answers during an interview.  That'll be fun. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• As emphatically strong a suggestion as I can make...

If you get the opportunity to take the all-day class on SQL Server 2022 put on by Bob Ward of Microsoft, jump on it with both feet and a scream of victory. It is well worth your time. And when I say all this, I'm truly understating just how useful this was. I took it yesterday. I'm blown away and I've been working with 2022 for over a year now.

Just thought I'd share.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

As emphatically strong a suggestion as I can make...

If you get the opportunity to take the all-day class on SQL Server 2022 put on by Bob Ward of Microsoft, jump on it with both feet and a scream of victory. It is well worth your time. And when I say all this, I'm truly understating just how useful this was. I took it yesterday. I'm blown away and I've been working with 2022 for over a year now.

Just thought I'd share.

Bob Ward's pre-con was a pretty compelling reason to go to Austin's SQL Saturday.  I saw a 2 hour-ish presentation about a year ago by Bob Ward on 2022.  Is the all-day presentation available?

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Bob Ward's pre-con was a pretty compelling reason to go to Austin's SQL Saturday.  I saw a 2 hour-ish presentation about a year ago by Bob Ward on 2022.  Is the all-day presentation available?

Available as in recorded? No, I'm pretty sure not. The materials are all freely available online, but just looking at them will pale in comparison to getting them straight from Bob.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

As emphatically strong a suggestion as I can make...

Just thought I'd share.

So, it'll help "Ward" off SQL Server demons and "Bob's your Uncle"" 😀 😀 😀  I'll never take such advice for "Granted". 😀 😀 😀

Ok... That probably sufficiently suffoncifies your daily requirement for "Dad Jokes" and, since you've now had "Mo-den enough" of them, I'll go back to my coffee now.  I've really been "Jones-ing" for it 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Talking about ChatGPT, has anyone seen this one yet? https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/08/tech/google-ai-bard-demo-error/index.html

<headdesk>

Yes... and they're making an big deal about it.  ChatGPT is constantly providing incorrect answers about code and people and doing so in such a manner that someone that doesn't know better will believe the damned thing.

I had a discussion last night with one of the behavioral psychologists from my old job,  Brilliant person.  He's only 28 years old and thinks on an entirely different level.  His contention is that AI will never be able to replace human learning because you cannot "program random".  It's always going to be an algorithm.  He expects it to die after people realize that it's wrong more often than not.

My come back is that ChatGPT, etc. will become very pervasive not because it produces CORRECT output, but because the output will eventually be good enough, and the companies can make money on it.  If they market it the right way, the masses will buy into it.  Right or wrong, if you sell something properly, people will buy it.

It's just a matter of how much control people are going to be willing to give it.  For now it's just a fun gimmick but once people are willing to trust it with true decision making we'll see how it goes.

I could see a huge potential on the sales side, being confidently incorrect is pretty much the only real requirement for a career in marketing 😛

• ZZartin wrote:

Michael L John wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

<headdesk>

It's just a matter of how much control people are going to be willing to give it.  For now it's just a fun gimmick but once people are willing to trust it with true decision making we'll see how it goes.

I could see a huge potential on the sales side, being confidently incorrect is pretty much the only real requirement for a career in marketing 😛 

ChatGPT appears to generate answers by using the information it has gathered from reading a large number of documents and predicting the most probable word to follow the previous one, one word at a time. While it does not provide accurate responses in cases that require in-depth knowledge, it seems to excel in generating English text. For instance, a friend of my wife requested a "power of attorney" document, and ChatGPT was able to generate a comprehensive power of attorney document, including all necessary information, that seemed very well-written to me.

I think lawyers and document writers and anyone who makes a living from writing text should be most worried about it.

• ZZartin wrote:

BWAAA-HAAA-HAAA!!!.  Now there's a new term for me!  Lovin' it and thanks!  And, it applies to so many different things and can even be used as a replacement for what some people call "good enough" and "expert opion" and even supposed "Best Practice" claims. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Same problem in that article that many have.  The author ends it with a conclusion of "My final conclusion is that this is a really awesome tool to assist you".  The trouble is, the people asking it the questions are not capable of judging if the answer is correct or not unless they base that on whether it produces and error code or not.

His earlier statement about "spending more time reading code that writing it" is also spot on except the people that I'm talking about won't spend any time reading it and that's the real problem.

It will probably never be able to find the proverbial "purple squirrel" because, by consensus of methods found on the internet, it's not going to take the time to find the "purple squirrel" unless it got a huge amount of votes.

The really fun part about this is that one of the by products of "AI" is to make computers seem more human in intelligence.  There is no question in my mind that "we're there" because {insert drum roll here} it's making the very same mistakes that humans make. 😀 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Anyone ever hear this one?

One of our groups screwed up the perms on the server drives, and here is what they said.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

Anyone ever hear this one?

One of our groups screwed up the perms on the server drives, and here is what they said.

Not sure I like how they worded it - but it does sound like they understand how it works.  If you set the server to run using a domain account or a managed service account, the NT SERVICE account is still used for authentication.  What it really means is that local policies (e.g. LPIM) and file\folder permissions are granted to the NT SERVICE account and not to the specified domain\gMSA account(s).

SQL Server permissions are assigned to the NT SERVICE accounts and not the individual domain\gMSA accounts.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• So catching up and getting back into the forums here...

Saw the talk about the SQL conferences and this may be the first year I go to PASS Summit!  When my supervisor gets back in the office I plan to raise the idea with him, it'll be in the "next" fiscal year so hopefully the budget will be there to cover the costs.

Viewing 15 posts - 66,211 through 66,225 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply