Are the posted questions getting worse?

  • Anyone know the old joke about it being "your turn in the barrel?"

    Replace the barrel with the office, and that's where I'm at today.  We're starting to come off 100% remote work to 1-day a week each, and today's my day...

    No other team members in the office, just the desktop support guys behind me...

    This is going to take some getting used to...

  • Fortunately, my employer has decided a majority of people can be Work From Home, with only some doing part WFH and part in-Office, and a rare, essential few doing in-Office again. And they are trialing it from one office before moving to the other offices across the country.

    Given "the Delta," though, it may go back to WFH soon.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • Is it just me, or is Edge rendering really poorly on other people's devices? I mean, it's like 80's web formatting instead of 21st century formatting.

    It would take more like 6 screenshots to show the full page, but here are 3 as an example of what Edge is doing to this website. Any thoughts as to what could be causing it? (IE and Chrome render fine. Can't check Firefox right now, though).

    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • My company sent out a survey asking what folks wanted to do.

    2% want to work five days a week in the office.

    40% want flexibility to work some days in the office and other days remotely.

    58% prefer to work remotely.

    All of the people in my group said "stay home"

    We are planning on re-opening in October.

    Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

  • Brandie Tarvin wrote:

    Fortunately, my employer has decided a majority of people can be Work From Home, with only some doing part WFH and part in-Office, and a rare, essential few doing in-Office again. And they are trialing it from one office before moving to the other offices across the country.

    Given "the Delta," though, it may go back to WFH soon.

    Part of the reason our supervisor wants someone in the office is, we've got a new intern / contractor and until he gets his feet under him, he's an in-office worker only and they want someone here.

    But, I guess I shouldn't complain too much, I'm still WFH 3 out of 4 days a week (I work 10hr days...)

  • We were supposed to be back in the office from Monday but with the advice from the government changing from "go back to the office everybody" to " go back to the office everybody but don't actually go back" we're still at home.  We're still not sure what the future is going to look like though.  The current rumour is that we'll be three in, two at home, but we don't know.

    The waters are slightly muddied by a) the conflicting info from HMG and b) the search for a new dev.  Most people who submit CV's, and who meet residence requirements, want five days  remote.  I can imagine it being less than popular if a new dev gets five days WFH and we old hands don't get the same.

    Personally, I'd rather have three at home but two is better than none.  I've got to be honest though, two days a week somewhere else will be good for me.


    On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

    How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

  • We had originally gone back to our 1 day WFH 4 days in office schedule but I suspect some people were milking the situation and we've been 5 days in office for awhile now....

  • 20210721_111949

     

    I'm in our LA office for a couple days. We actually have about 12 people here today, 4 yesterday. We're WFH through the end of 2021, but experimenting and trying to determine what might work. We have about 40-50% wanting part time in person, about 20% always home, 30ish % always remote. Few undecided.

     

  • My internet died last night and I've had to come to the office because it's still not back!


    On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

    How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

  • Neil Burton wrote:

    My internet died last night and I've had to come to the office because it's still not back!

    Yeah, that's an issue with working from home - the reliability requirements for residential internet connections are not quite the same as for commercial ones. But when you're WFH your home connection must be treated as a commercial one.

    _____________
    Code for TallyGenerator

  • Loner wrote:

    I think in most cases companies try to put double duties on SQL Developers and now they have to do administrative work. It is definitely in my company, all the SQL Developers are DBAs too. My company sends them to get a MCDBA certificate but the certificate definitely does not make them into an experienced DBA overnight. Actually the person who just got the certificate never touch SQL Server 2005.

    Seems to me that I always had to serve both SQL Developer and DBA functions.  I think the upside to that is getting much better SQL developed.  From what I saw of developer-created SQL, it was a not a good thing.  Not being mean here, they just weren't focused on the SQL quality.  But working together and refining the attempts usually produced good results.

    Rick

    One of the best days of my IT career was they day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

  • Question:  "Are you a 'full stack' developer?"

    Answer: "Full stack of what?"

    Rick

    One of the best days of my IT career was they day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

  • So here's my chance! I'm helping write up a job description for a "Jack of all trades" DBA position. Unfortunately, no, I can't put DBCC TIMEWARP() on it. I've tried. @=(

    But... I'm trying to figure out the best way to write this up. Any help would be appreciated for phrasing the below.

    Experience with Production DBA duties

    Experience with developmental DBA duties... not necessarily a SQL Developer, but maybe? The way we use SQL Developer in our shop is that they do a lot of coding for client interfaces that just happen to hit SQL Server. I'm not sure if " Strong T-SQL skills & experience, stored procs, functions, etc." cuts it or is exactly what we need. Basically someone who has to create DML / DDL, ETL processes, et. al. for projects.

    Experience with creating and managing SQL Server Jobs.

    Strong knowledge of and experience with SQL Server Security, backups and restores .. which might fall under Production DBA stuff...

    Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, etc.?

    Thanks. And yes, if anyone is interested, I'll post the link once we have the job posted.

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

  • Ed Wagner wrote:

    Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

    Got this through the email today: (unedited) Azure, Web API, C#, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React, JavaScript, Azure DevOps, PowerShell, Automation, SQL, Transact-SQL, Webservices, Agile, Messaging, Azure cloud service, .Net Core, Sharepoint, PaaS, Chef, Terraform, ARM, CLI C#, Web API, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React and JavaScript programming Continuous integration and automated deployments within TFS/VSTS (Azure Devops) PowerShell Automated testing SQL Server and Transact-SQL Experience and knowledge of Webservices & Web API Design and development of N-tier, SOA & Microservice applications Experienced in Full Life Cycle Development (Agile) Knowledge and practical application of Design Patterns and Practises Understanding of design documentation, UML, Entity Relationship Diagramming etc.

    😎

    And the punchline:

    The Role: Working closely with the business and delivering complex requirements to tight timescales. Creation of prototypes and/or proof of concepts. Mentoring & Leading development teams Implementation of solutions based upon OO, DRY and SOLID principles. Design of Micro Services based on re-use and scalability. Review and provide quality control for technology delivery teams (e.g. design/code review). Document technical design and analysis work. Develop and Support applications in Azure Work in a DevOps team Develop working software to a good standard Should possess the ability to do full stack software development (Front-end/ Backend/ Database development).

    Hey Eirikur.

    That's hilarious. I wonder if the salary is entry level. 😀

    It looks like they only missed a couple of requirements. 😉

    1. Candidate must be the recipient of at least one Nobel prize.
    2. References must include at least one living president

     

    Salary is EXIT level to me.  Bye,Bye

    Rick

    One of the best days of my IT career was they day I told my boss if the problem was so simple he should go fix it himself.

  • skeleton567 wrote:

    Ed Wagner wrote:

    Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

    Got this through the email today: (unedited) Azure, Web API, C#, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React, JavaScript, Azure DevOps, PowerShell, Automation, SQL, Transact-SQL, Webservices, Agile, Messaging, Azure cloud service, .Net Core, Sharepoint, PaaS, Chef, Terraform, ARM, CLI C#, Web API, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React and JavaScript programming Continuous integration and automated deployments within TFS/VSTS (Azure Devops) PowerShell Automated testing SQL Server and Transact-SQL Experience and knowledge of Webservices & Web API Design and development of N-tier, SOA & Microservice applications Experienced in Full Life Cycle Development (Agile) Knowledge and practical application of Design Patterns and Practises Understanding of design documentation, UML, Entity Relationship Diagramming etc.

    😎

    And the punchline:

    The Role: Working closely with the business and delivering complex requirements to tight timescales. Creation of prototypes and/or proof of concepts. Mentoring & Leading development teams Implementation of solutions based upon OO, DRY and SOLID principles. Design of Micro Services based on re-use and scalability. Review and provide quality control for technology delivery teams (e.g. design/code review). Document technical design and analysis work. Develop and Support applications in Azure Work in a DevOps team Develop working software to a good standard Should possess the ability to do full stack software development (Front-end/ Backend/ Database development).

    Hey Eirikur.

    That's hilarious. I wonder if the salary is entry level. 😀

    It looks like they only missed a couple of requirements. 😉

    1. Candidate must be the recipient of at least one Nobel prize.
    2. References must include at least one living president

    Salary is EXIT level to me.  Bye,Bye

    The real punchline "Must know how to proofread job descriptions, use spellcheck, and be fluent in punctuation." @=)

    Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,566 through 65,580 (of 65,749 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply