Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

So here's my chance! I'm helping write up a job description for a "Jack of all trades" DBA position. Unfortunately, no, I can't put DBCC TIMEWARP() on it. I've tried. @=(

But... I'm trying to figure out the best way to write this up. Any help would be appreciated for phrasing the below.

Experience with Production DBA duties Experience with developmental DBA duties... not necessarily a SQL Developer, but maybe? The way we use SQL Developer in our shop is that they do a lot of coding for client interfaces that just happen to hit SQL Server. I'm not sure if " Strong T-SQL skills & experience, stored procs, functions, etc." cuts it or is exactly what we need. Basically someone who has to create DML / DDL, ETL processes, et. al. for projects. Experience with creating and managing SQL Server Jobs. Strong knowledge of and experience with SQL Server Security, backups and restores .. which might fall under Production DBA stuff...

Does anyone have any thoughts, recommendations, etc.?

Thanks. And yes, if anyone is interested, I'll post the link once we have the job posted.

How about just keeping it simple...

We need a hybrid "Jack of many trades" SQL Server DBA that knows all the things you'd expect a good "System DBA" to know, what an "Application DBA" needs to know to help with connections and the like, and some good T-SQL skills to write DDL and DML to support client interfaces and a fair bit of ETL.  Anything extra that you can bring to the table will also be appreciated and considered especially in the areas of T-SQL and database performance techniques.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• skeleton567 wrote:

Question:  "Are you a 'full stack' developer?"

Oh yes... I love Dagwood sandwiches for lunch. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Is it just me, or is Edge rendering really poorly on other people's devices? I mean, it's like 80's web formatting instead of 21st century formatting.

It would take more like 6 screenshots to show the full page, but here are 3 as an example of what Edge is doing to this website. Any thoughts as to what could be causing it? (IE and Chrome render fine. Can't check Firefox right now, though).

I get that periodically.  usually I just ignore it, try another site, then come back and it often works.  May have something to do with a transmission error.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• wish we could identify these types even before they are allowed to post - would save a bit of hassle for many of us here

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/import-csv-data-into-existing-tables

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

wish we could identify these types even before they are allowed to post - would save a bit of hassle for many of us here

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/import-csv-data-into-existing-tables

This is the same person who is asking for advice to migrate from 2012 to 2014, and the SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access. Consider the source!

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

wish we could identify these types even before they are allowed to post - would save a bit of hassle for many of us here

This is the same person who is asking for advice to migrate from 2012 to 2014, and the SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access. Consider the source!

I saw it - in both cases its visible a lack of understanding of the tool and lack of willingness to read the manuals.

• And "The pot calling the kettle black" to boot :0/

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• I was about to post something about "let's not be elitist, everyone has to start learning somewhere" and then I read the chain. Even before I got to the "bad data" part of the talk, I knew that was the issue.

The industry may have standards, but standards aren't automatic. They have to be properly implemented for them to work. At a guess, the Access tables used quotes for some of the values instead of straight alpha-numeric values and that caused the files to export all wrong when they chose to use quotes to indicate the strings.

I don't understand people who think standards should be bulletproof. Heaven knows I've screwed up a few industry standards myself over the years. If I can do it, everyone can do it. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I didn't work on this project but … Interesting use of technology.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/commercial-auto/arity-launches-product-to-more-accurately-quote-telematic-insurance-255789.aspx

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Re: file import, I contacted the individual about their behavior and language. We do not tolerate that type of discussion.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Re: file import, I contacted the individual about their behavior and language. We do not tolerate that type of discussion.

Thanks Steve

• Ugh, I'm torn on this. On one hand, this might make things cheaper for some people, but it will also make things expensive for others, potentially without really evaluating risk except in the grossest way. There also becomes another place to lose data or have security issues.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ugh, I'm torn on this. On one hand, this might make things cheaper for some people, but it will also make things expensive for others, potentially without really evaluating risk except in the grossest way. There also becomes another place to lose data or have security issues.

I plead the 5th given that I work for the company. But I open the floor for discussion on account of many many companies are moving in this direction and not just for insurance.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ugh, I'm torn on this. On one hand, this might make things cheaper for some people, but it will also make things expensive for others, potentially without really evaluating risk except in the grossest way. There also becomes another place to lose data or have security issues.

I plead the 5th given that I work for the company. But I open the floor for discussion on account of many many companies are moving in this direction and not just for insurance.

I'm not a fan of the fact that the system hoovers up data from "tens of millions of consumers, gathered from mobile apps they use every day."  I know all of these apps have buried in the ToS that they're going to collect info and cheerfully sell same to other companies or you don't get to use the app, but it's still one of those "icky" thoughts.

(Says the man who has a Google phone that simply by it's very nature is doing the same thing)

• You can stop some of the Google stuff, and they tend not to sell it because they use it themselves. At least you know when where the evil is.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,581 through 65,595 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply