Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ads always ask for more than the job. I don't know that I've seen one that was accurate since I stopped tending bar.

If you think you have to meet every item before you apply, you're letting opportunities go. This isn't the fault of the ad. It's the way you're looking at the ad. Same for many others.

Actually, it IS the fault of the ad.  Just look at the damned things.  People need to ask for what they actually need instead of the pie in the sky plus the kitchen sink BS they typically ask for.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I've watched these ads get built. They're silly. When I left my last job, I had a sit down with the boss. He says, "Tell me all the things you've done over the last 10 years." We listed them all out. I worked on every possible aspect of SQL Server over that time, plus a bunch of other stuff. However, some of it was little stuff taking up a couple of weeks and then never again (SSRS comes to mind). Yet, ALL OF IT made the ad for my replacement. I laughed and told the boss, "I'm not qualified for this position, and it's my position you're advertising." Didn't matter. That's how it went in.

However, now I know, most of this is just BS and you have to ignore it or you won't get in at all. Working with my kids on this is killing them "But Dad <in that condescending tone that says "Boomer">, they wouldn't list these as requirements if they weren't all needed." Yet, my daughter, looks to be getting a job at a great hospital in Tulsa that she "wasn't qualified for and only sending in the resume to prove a point".

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ads always ask for more than the job. I don't know that I've seen one that was accurate since I stopped tending bar.

If you think you have to meet every item before you apply, you're letting opportunities go. This isn't the fault of the ad. It's the way you're looking at the ad. Same for many others.

Actually, it IS the fault of the ad.  Just look at the damned things.  People need to ask for what they actually need instead of the pie in the sky plus the kitchen sink BS they typically ask for.

I don't disagree with you at all, but I've watched these ads get built. They're silly. When I left my last job, I had a sit down with the boss. He says, "Tell me all the things you've done over the last 10 years." We listed them all out. I worked on every possible aspect of SQL Server over that time, plus a bunch of other stuff. However, some of it was little stuff taking up a couple of weeks and then never again (SSRS comes to mind). Yet, ALL OF IT made the ad for my replacement. I laughed and told the boss, "I'm not qualified for this position, and it's my position you're advertising." Didn't matter. That's how it went in.

However, now I know, most of this is just BS and you have to ignore it or you won't get in at all. Working with my kids on this is killing them "But Dad <in that condescending tone that says "Boomer">, they wouldn't list these as requirements if they weren't all needed." Yet, my daughter, looks to be getting a job at a great hospital in Tulsa that she "wasn't qualified for and only sending in the resume to prove a point".

The rule is that they tell you what they want, not what they need

😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ

• Got this through the email today: (unedited)

Azure, Web API, C#, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React, JavaScript, Azure DevOps, PowerShell, Automation, SQL, Transact-SQL, Webservices, Agile, Messaging, Azure cloud service, .Net Core, Sharepoint, PaaS, Chef, Terraform, ARM, CLI C#, Web API, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React and JavaScript programming Continuous integration and automated deployments within TFS/VSTS (Azure Devops) PowerShell Automated testing SQL Server and Transact-SQL Experience and knowledge of Webservices & Web API Design and development of N-tier, SOA & Microservice applications Experienced in Full Life Cycle Development (Agile) Knowledge and practical application of Design Patterns and Practises Understanding of design documentation, UML, Entity Relationship Diagramming etc.

😎

And the punchline:

The Role:

Working closely with the business and delivering complex requirements to tight timescales.

Creation of prototypes and/or proof of concepts.

Mentoring & Leading development teams

Implementation of solutions based upon OO, DRY and SOLID principles.

Design of Micro Services based on re-use and scalability.

Review and provide quality control for technology delivery teams (e.g. design/code review).

Document technical design and analysis work.

Develop and Support applications in Azure

Work in a DevOps team

Develop working software to a good standard

Should possess the ability to do full stack software development (Front-end/ Backend/ Database development).

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Got this through the email today: (unedited) Azure, Web API, C#, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React, JavaScript, Azure DevOps, PowerShell, Automation, SQL, Transact-SQL, Webservices, Agile, Messaging, Azure cloud service, .Net Core, Sharepoint, PaaS, Chef, Terraform, ARM, CLI C#, Web API, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React and JavaScript programming Continuous integration and automated deployments within TFS/VSTS (Azure Devops) PowerShell Automated testing SQL Server and Transact-SQL Experience and knowledge of Webservices & Web API Design and development of N-tier, SOA & Microservice applications Experienced in Full Life Cycle Development (Agile) Knowledge and practical application of Design Patterns and Practises Understanding of design documentation, UML, Entity Relationship Diagramming etc.

😎

And the punchline:

The Role: Working closely with the business and delivering complex requirements to tight timescales. Creation of prototypes and/or proof of concepts. Mentoring & Leading development teams Implementation of solutions based upon OO, DRY and SOLID principles. Design of Micro Services based on re-use and scalability. Review and provide quality control for technology delivery teams (e.g. design/code review). Document technical design and analysis work. Develop and Support applications in Azure Work in a DevOps team Develop working software to a good standard Should possess the ability to do full stack software development (Front-end/ Backend/ Database development).

Hey Eirikur.

That's hilarious. I wonder if the salary is entry level. 😀

It looks like they only missed a couple of requirements. 😉

1. Candidate must be the recipient of at least one Nobel prize.
    2. References must include at least one living president.

• That's hilarious. I wonder if the salary is entry level.

Nah, this is basic knowledge people should be born with, so intern.

Got this through the email today: (unedited) Azure, Web API, C#, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React, JavaScript, Azure DevOps, PowerShell, Automation, SQL, Transact-SQL, Webservices, Agile, Messaging, Azure cloud service, .Net Core, Sharepoint, PaaS, Chef, Terraform, ARM, CLI C#, Web API, MVC, Entity Framework, jQuery, CSS, Bootstrap, React and JavaScript programming Continuous integration and automated deployments within TFS/VSTS (Azure Devops) PowerShell Automated testing SQL Server and Transact-SQL Experience and knowledge of Webservices & Web API Design and development of N-tier, SOA & Microservice applications Experienced in Full Life Cycle Development (Agile) Knowledge and practical application of Design Patterns and Practises Understanding of design documentation, UML, Entity Relationship Diagramming etc.

😎

And the punchline:

The Role: Working closely with the business and delivering complex requirements to tight timescales. Creation of prototypes and/or proof of concepts. Mentoring & Leading development teams Implementation of solutions based upon OO, DRY and SOLID principles. Design of Micro Services based on re-use and scalability. Review and provide quality control for technology delivery teams (e.g. design/code review). Document technical design and analysis work. Develop and Support applications in Azure Work in a DevOps team Develop working software to a good standard Should possess the ability to do full stack software development (Front-end/ Backend/ Database development).

They lost my interest as soon as they started repeating the list of requirements. They can't even proof read a job ad and they expect me to pay attention to detail. So happy I am not looking for a new gig, the "dating pool" seems awfully shallow.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I find myself wanting to put in our DBCC Time() joke in the next wanted ad I help design (must have 2000 years experience!) but now I can't remember the command.

And I really desperately wanted to make a list of all the parameters we designed for it just for laughs and searching the forum for them isn't easy.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

I find myself wanting to put in our DBCC Time() joke in the next wanted ad I help design (must have 2000 years experience!) but now I can't remember the command.

And I really desperately wanted to make a list of all the parameters we designed for it just for laughs and searching the forum for them isn't easy.

You mean this: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/dbcc-timewarp-1

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• YES!

"Nice to have: 2k years experience with DBCC TIMEWARP()."

And then sit back and see how many people actually respond. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

I admit I'm really sick of the ridiculous lists of qualifications - like 10+ years of experience with .NET posted in 2003. True story.

However, Brandie, that particular requirement would probably make me give it a second look because I know exactly where it came from and I'd probably think that the person who included it in the list knows what they're doing. It's no guarantee, of course, but my hope would be that the person would know more than most. My compliments!

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

The smart ones will respond that they will have had learned it - and will have had 2K years of experience by the time they come onboard for the new position.  🙂

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

The smart ones will respond that they will have had learned it - and will have had 2K years of experience by the time they come onboard for the new position.  🙂

We had a set of 100 technical questions we would work off of for interviews.  We added a set of complete gobeldy-goop questions.

Like, “Describe the function of the framitz in the maintenance package” or “What are the most common parameters you would use in xp_memory_tune”.

The answers to those questions were usually the indicator of getting hired or not

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

BWWWWWWAAAAA-HAAAAAA-HAAAAAA!!!!

That made my whole week!  Thanks for the great laugh!!!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

He he, I've got 4000 years of experience thanks to my expertise using DBCC TIMEWARP()

😎

Jeff Moden wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

YES!

He he, I've got 4000 years of experience thanks to my expertise using DBCC TIMEWARP() 😎

I've never used it but I will have yesterday.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Viewing 15 posts - 65,551 through 65,565 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply