Are the posted questions getting worse?

• By the way, today is Steve Jones birthday!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Are you old enough to know better yet??

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Ed Wagner wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Sergiy wrote:

I guess what you’re asking for is the amount of space actually used by data pages within the space allocated to db files of your databases.

To give you such information your provider must have sysadmin access to all your databases. I don’t think your contract give them such privileges. So, even if they can retrieve this kind of data, they won’t tell you about it anyway.

And I doubt any other cloud provider would accept responsibility for the contents of your data files. It’s a totally different level of service.

Nope, that information I can get and we only need that about once a year.

What we're wanting and not getting is the information for the various drives in the various servers (SQL, web, file,) so the C, D, etc drives.  The BEST they can give us is that an agent that runs once a day writes the info to a site (which I don't have access to,) overwriting the previous days information, and maintaining NO historical information...

(The fact that I just saw this reply today, shows how frequently I've been on here for the last several months, sorry Steve)

Hi Jason. Would this help you? https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/time-and-space-how-to-monitor-drive-space-in-sql-server

It would, but because we have to follow the DISA STIGs, we can't (without a LOT of hoop jumping) enable XP_CMDSHELL...

I've got a Powershell script that will do the trick, including for the non-SQL servers, we just need to get an account approved and created that can be used to run the Windows Scheduled Task for it.

• jasona.work wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Sergiy wrote:

I guess what you’re asking for is the amount of space actually used by data pages within the space allocated to db files of your databases.

To give you such information your provider must have sysadmin access to all your databases. I don’t think your contract give them such privileges. So, even if they can retrieve this kind of data, they won’t tell you about it anyway.

And I doubt any other cloud provider would accept responsibility for the contents of your data files. It’s a totally different level of service.

Nope, that information I can get and we only need that about once a year.

What we're wanting and not getting is the information for the various drives in the various servers (SQL, web, file,) so the C, D, etc drives.  The BEST they can give us is that an agent that runs once a day writes the info to a site (which I don't have access to,) overwriting the previous days information, and maintaining NO historical information...

(The fact that I just saw this reply today, shows how frequently I've been on here for the last several months, sorry Steve)

Hi Jason. Would this help you? https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/time-and-space-how-to-monitor-drive-space-in-sql-server

It would, but because we have to follow the DISA STIGs, we can't (without a LOT of hoop jumping) enable XP_CMDSHELL...

I've got a Powershell script that will do the trick, including for the non-SQL servers, we just need to get an account approved and created that can be used to run the Windows Scheduled Task for it.

Heh... I think that's hilarious... they'll allow PowerShell scripts and Windows Scheduled Tasks and not xp_CmdShell.  All because of ancient old truth's that are no longer applicable.  Lordy.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

I can't find anywhere else to ask this, so here it is. SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition is restricted to 24 cores. Does this mean that the licencing cost is capped at 12 2-core packs, or would you require 16 2-core packs for a server furnished with 2 x 16 core CPU's?

Many thanks.

Michael L John wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

I can't find anywhere else to ask this, so here it is. SQL Server 2017 Standard Edition is restricted to 24 cores. Does this mean that the licencing cost is capped at 12 2-core packs, or would you require 16 2-core packs for a server furnished with 2 x 16 core CPU's?

Many thanks.

I’m almost positive you have to license all the cores even if you don’t use them. I had to deal with that false assumption by my predecessors 7 years ago.

I wonder how that works for VM's.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Michael L John wrote:

By the way, today is Steve Jones birthday!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Are you old enough to know better yet??

If that's true, Happy Birthday, Steve!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Thanks, all

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... I think that's hilarious... they'll allow PowerShell scripts and Windows Scheduled Tasks and not xp_CmdShell.  All because of ancient old truth's that are no longer applicable.  Lordy.

Well, you may find this even more hilarious then...

Potentially my solution may STILL not work as the anti-virus/malware on the servers may be configured now to block Powershell scripts, too.  And that, I can't test out in my homelab, because I don't have a copy of said AV app.

Worse, I may not even be able to test it out on our servers until I get my service account to run the task, because I THINK the block has an exception for when Powershell is run by an Admin like me...

• Heh... a little Sunday morning laugh for everyone... It's simply titled "DevOps engineer during automation of CI-CD ".  I have a real-live appreciation for what they frequently have to go through.

A bit of a warning... the sound track may be NSFW.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6784040789887483905/

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• In case anyone is interested, the GroupBy voting begins on Monday, 12 April 2021 (that's about an hour from now for us in the EDST time zone).  Here's the link.  When you go to vote for either the Americas or Europe, be sure to read the paragraph right after the GroupBy icon centered at the top of the page.  There you will find an unhighlighted link to the abstracts.  Here's the link...

https://groupby.org/vote-now/

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Spot on, Jeff ! ??

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Jeff Moden wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

Many thanks.

Michael L John wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

Many thanks.

I’m almost positive you have to license all the cores even if you don’t use them. I had to deal with that false assumption by my predecessors 7 years ago.

I wonder how that works for VM's.

as per MS licensing documentation.

if using EE license with SA and if  you license the whole physical machine you can have as many vm's with as many vcpus as you wish.

if licensing the physical server cores with EE (without SA) you can run in as many VM's as the number of cores you bought regardless of the number of vcpus allocated to each vm

if licensing with Standard then all vcpus on the vm must be licensed as physical server licensing is not available on this case.

• How to Get Current Date in SQL Server: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6817/sql-current-date/

Reminded me of some discussions here.

• Michael L John wrote:

ChrisM@Work wrote:

Hi folks

Many thanks.

I think license all cores is generally the way things work, but if you have a 24 core restriction, I'm not sure you need 32 licenses. At the same time, I bet you would get different answers from different licensing people.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

How to Get Current Date in SQL Server: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6817/sql-current-date/

The answer to Jeff's interview question!

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

How to Get Current Date in SQL Server: https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6817/sql-current-date/

The answer to Jeff's interview question!

I thought the same thing when I read that. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 65,446 through 65,460 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply