Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 wrote:

Amazing!

Is there a guide for in flight cooking? Frozen, thawed, and properly cooked would be good to know.

The rules for in flight cooking are simple... Frozen only... it makes a better impact and allows for higher velocities because it moves through the barrel without sticking and the coldness also allows for a denser charge. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Speaking of pork chop cannons... here's one that needs about a 9 course dinner.  I'll never understand such requests.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/cutting-out-the-middleman-dba-how-to-give-access-without-involving-dba

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Here is the macro I use in my personal.xlsb that eliminates the errors I get when pasting data from SSMS:

Sub SelectAllFormatAsText()

'

' SelectAllFormatAsText Macro

'

'

Cells.Select

Selection.NumberFormat = "@"

Range("A1").Select

End Sub

412-977-3526 call/text

• Wow!

I could not resist. I would if they leave keys in the car, and the door unlocked.

I take that back - door open and running.

The other scenario would slow them down too much.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

David Burrows wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

I must have explained that issue (opening CSV in Excel rogers the underlying data) more than a thousand times.

Access solves the problem, but how many accountants use Access?

Was that aimed at me ?

Your post provoked the rant, but it wasn't 'aimed' at anyone.

Just checking 🙂

Your rant is quite correct though, but Excel will not go away and one has to accommodate it's use. I do a lot of Excel import and export and regularly come across this type of problem. I either code round problems or get the end user to fix them.

Based on information from Eirikur I build a library to extract data from Excel without using Excel :-;

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

David Burrows wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

I must have explained that issue (opening CSV in Excel rogers the underlying data) more than a thousand times.

Access solves the problem, but how many accountants use Access?

Was that aimed at me ?

Your post provoked the rant, but it wasn't 'aimed' at anyone.

Just checking 🙂

Your rant is quite correct though, but Excel will not go away and one has to accommodate it's use. I do a lot of Excel import and export and regularly come across this type of problem. I either code round problems or get the end user to fix them.

Based on information from Eirikur I build a library to extract data from Excel without using Excel :-;

Now we are talking! Are you willing to share the library? Done extensive work on the subject and always interested in exploring alternatives.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Now we are talking! Are you willing to share the library? Done extensive work on the subject and always interested in exploring alternatives.

😎

It is a .NET VB class library that unzips .xlsx file and deserializes the xml in to classes. It is very basic as all I needed was the data not the styling, but it does produce worksheets with rows, columns and cells.

Anon.

• David Burrows wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

😎

It is a .NET VB class library that unzips .xlsx file and deserializes the xml in to classes. It is very basic as all I needed was the data not the styling, but it does produce worksheets with rows, columns and cells.

Unfortunately in my contract at work, everything I create is covered by intellectual property rights and copyright, so I will have to check.

I've used a similar approach for the last few years, instead of .Net I'm using 7zip command line for the unzipping of the .xlsx files,  works fine and has saved me thousands of hours of work.

😎

If you are interested, I'll ping you a draft of the writeup, mind you that this the first draft so few bits are missing, very interested to see your feedback on it.

A question, how did you resolve the column mapping?

Edit: Added a question

If you are interested, I'll ping you a draft of the writeup, mind you that this the first draft so few bits are missing, very interested to see your feedback on it. 

Yes please, would be very interested.

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

A question, how did you resolve the column mapping? 

I convert cell references to column indexes and use Dimension for the upper bound, is this what you mean.

Anon.

• Eirikur, I've been waiting for what feels like years to see this write-up 🙂

I'd be happy to take a look at your draft, if you feel it would be helpful.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Eirikur, I've been waiting for what feels like years to see this write-up 🙂

Just pinged you a PM Phil.

😎

Mesa Boogie? Never tried those, are you using a head amp or a stack? My self I'm into small, high distortion, sustain, anything like Pignose and upwards. What's your axe?

Phil Parkin wrote:

😎

Mesa Boogie? Never tried those, are you using a head amp or a stack? My self I'm into small, high distortion, sustain, anything like Pignose and upwards. What's your axe?

Head + 2x12 speaker cab. Crystal clear on the clean channel, to full-on high gain on channels 2 and 3. Really a great amp. Having said that, I spend most of my playing time in front of a computer playing through a modeller (Line6 Helix). The neighbours appreciate that.

Guitars: Ibanez RG Prestige, Schecter Hellraiser. Plus a US Fender Strat, for those more mellow moments.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Phil Parkin wrote:

😎

Head + 2x12 speaker cab. Crystal clear on the clean channel, to full-on high gain on channels 2 and 3. Really a great amp. Having said that, I spend most of my playing time in front of a computer playing through a modeller (Line6 Helix). The neighbours appreciate that.

Guitars: Ibanez RG Prestige, Schecter Hellraiser. Plus a US Fender Strat, for those more mellow moments.

Ibanez with DiMarzios?

;cool:

Kind of old school my self, used to have few Fenders and such, my axe of choice is

heavy as a rock and the sustain is just never ending, playing Parisian Walkaways without any effects 😉

• That is a thing of beauty!

I swapped out the stock pickups on the Ibanez for EMGs.

Here's my Strat.

Strat

• Soooooo… This is a weird one.

My coworker just set up a SQL Server (2019) and can't connect to it without the port number. IE, SeverName\InstanceName,1433. Oddly enough, I can connect to it with ServerName\InstanceName (no port). He's got Browser running on his desktop, and it can't be a UDP firewall block if I can connect to it.

We're scratching our heads on this one. Very odd.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 65,101 through 65,115 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply