Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Serious question for the Thread.

What do you need that I could do to help you out right now? I don't mean give you my toilet paper supply. I mean is there some virtual something or other I could do to help out? Classes, AMA, chats, videos, ?????

I'm trying to find things apart from a webinar that will help out. Ideas?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Right now I need someone to watch the toddler so I can appropriately encrypted databases on 2 servers with a third party key holder. This is hard to do when someone keeps trying to get me involved in his playing.

Actually, though, that would be an appropriate class. TDE with third party KMS. Because Google keeps pointing me to local TDE without the third party KMS which isn't helping me refresh my 9 month old memory from when I did this the last time.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• One thing I've been struggling with is why certain databases don't meet the criteria to join availability groups.

I've overcome most of the issues, but it would be cool to have a script (rather than go through the wizard every time) - or even just some advice so that we can build our own checks.

It is super frustrating when I go to add a database to an AG and it says "does not meet criteria" - also drive configurautions - just a suggestion

MVDBA

• maybe rather than live webinars, you could do what Microsoft virtual academy did... stick a 10 minute video up on line and we have it on demand. brent ozar did it dozens of times. stick it on youtube and post a link on here????

MVDBA

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Right now I need someone to watch the toddler so I can appropriately encrypted databases on 2 servers with a third party key holder. This is hard to do when someone keeps trying to get me involved in his playing.

Actually, though, that would be an appropriate class. TDE with third party KMS. Because Google keeps pointing me to local TDE without the third party KMS which isn't helping me refresh my 9 month old memory from when I did this the last time.

Well, I personally can't help with the toddler or the TDE, but I'll bet I can find someone to help with the TDE. Starting the search.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

maybe rather than live webinars, you could do what Microsoft virtual academy did... stick a 10 minute video up on line and we have it on demand. brent ozar did it dozens of times. stick it on youtube and post a link on here????

I've got tons of those. Happy to do more if that's the most helpful. Sadly the two specific questions that have come up, TDE & AG, are not my particular bailiwick.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• the other one, we are lacking a a decent podcast - steve used to do one, but I've lost track of it.

the other topic - with ROLLUP on a group by statement... i know how to use it, but i have dizens of people (working from home ...sigh) what would love a deep delve into these features

MVDBA

• Podcasts are just audio, though, right? How does a podcast assist when people can't see code or examples?

Or are you talking about a different type of podcast?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Podcasts are just audio, though, right? How does a podcast assist when people can't see code or examples?

Or are you talking about a different type of podcast?

for me, podcasts have taught me Russian and Polish , that's nothing you can do visually- you get the basics and inspiration from the podcast and then go and learn yourself.

everyone has their own way of learning and some people like reading, some like watching and some like hearing... personally for me I like to stick my headphones on during the day and if I hit a bit in a podcast that intrigues me then I pause and go do some investigation

MVDBA

• Grant - just reading your wordpress blog - it strikes me that I'm missing some skills in monitoring SSRS and SSIS using XE... might be a nice topic

we all take SSIS and SSRS for granted, but maybe we should monitor them more

MVDBA

• Shifting gears a bit, today's editorial on Routine has a broken discussion link.  The editorial is all about the changes people are having to make because of recent world events.  The comic at the following link epitomizes my feelings on the subject, mostly because I didn't have much of a life (according to most people) to begin with and now I really digging it because my 10 minute commute went to 15 seconds. 😀

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2020/03/19/stay-at-home/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

... worse, my Monday morning ritual is to leave early and grab a mcdonalds breakfast - they were closed 🙁

Not sure if you like cooking, but it's something that's a nice way to break away from other stuff. I find it very relaxing. Baked cookies last night, made some fried potatoes this am and left a bunch on the stove for others to enjoy while I'm working.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit, today's editorial on Routine has a broken discussion link.  The editorial is all about the changes people are having to make because of recent world events.  The comic at the following link epitomizes my feelings on the subject, mostly because I didn't have much of a life (according to most people) to begin with and now I really digging it because my 10 minute commute went to 15 seconds. 😀

Ok - that was so funny that I nearly had a trouser accident.

the red lines below are a fith of our team that are quite happy to self isolate - i estimate we are 80% down... i'm here with a PM and a director, that's all. normally 40 people in this building

Untitled

MVDBA

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit, today's editorial on Routine has a broken discussion link.  The editorial is all about the changes people are having to make because of recent world events.  The comic at the following link epitomizes my feelings on the subject, mostly because I didn't have much of a life (according to most people) to begin with and now I really digging it because my 10 minute commute went to 15 seconds. 😀

It's up now here: https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/having-no-routine

Broken scheduler.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

... worse, my Monday morning ritual is to leave early and grab a mcdonalds breakfast - they were closed 🙁

Not sure if you like cooking, but it's something that's a nice way to break away from other stuff. I find it very relaxing. Baked cookies last night, made some fried potatoes this am and left a bunch on the stove for others to enjoy while I'm working.

I sometimes take a break from work and bake bread, pizzas or suchlike. My wife likes the results but I'm not the neatest in the kitchen. One day I was following some instructions, which said "Now leave the dough on a heavily floured surface". I took a look around the kitchen and thought "That will be the floor".

Viewing 15 posts - 64,726 through 64,740 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply