Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

What is the model?

😎

I've seen this problem on some models like the 100S which have a plug-in battery.

A Chromebook C340 15. Had a look on Google Images, and looks like it's got an 8 pin connector to the motherboard (and possibly a 3 pin as well).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

We closed our office last week, everyone at home. Not a big change for some of us, but it is a change. Many things are less active and it looks like more people are treating this like a slowdown and disaster for a few days. I know that will change, but it's strange now.

I've been working totally from home since Friday.  No big change for me, though.  Well, not until they sent Debbie home with here desktop.  Had to set that up and go through a bit of hell with her getting connected.  They're trying to use Teams exclusively for meetings and she's even dumber than me with O365 (I hate it because of the limitations compared to a local copy).  That's just not going to work for her (no mic on her desktop) and the they don't have it setup for call returns and I'm not donating my headset (they need to get her one).  I should charge her company a bloody setup fee.  Her being home isn't helping because she's also one of those folks that has to say everything she's doing out-loud as she's doing it. It's as bad as someone chewing ice.  I need a louder fan than the 20" box fan. 😀  Now, if I can just get her company to support her instead of me, I might be able to get some of my stuff done.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff, these may be for you (if you dare venture anywhere to buy them, that is!). I have a pair and they work a treat. Not that I don't want to hear my wife sing, of course.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

We closed our office last week, everyone at home. Not a big change for some of us, but it is a change. Many things are less active and it looks like more people are treating this like a slowdown and disaster for a few days. I know that will change, but it's strange now.

I've been working totally from home since Friday.  No big change for me, though.  Well, not until they sent Debbie home with here desktop.  Had to set that up and go through a bit of hell with her getting connected.  They're trying to use Teams exclusively for meetings and she's even dumber than me with O365 (I hate it because of the limitations compared to a local copy).  That's just not going to work for her (no mic on her desktop) and the they don't have it setup for call returns and I'm not donating my headset (they need to get her one).  I should charge her company a bloody setup fee.  Her being home isn't helping because she's also one of those folks that has to say everything she's doing out-loud as she's doing it. It's as bad as someone chewing ice.  I need a louder fan than the 20" box fan. 😀  Now, if I can just get her company to support her instead of me, I might be able to get some of my stuff done.

No chance. You know the drill, "for better, or for remote work. I pledge my troth to thee and thine electronic needs, until we are parted by Death. Or taxes."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Her being home isn't helping because she's also one of those folks that has to say everything she's doing out-loud as she's doing it. It's as bad as someone chewing ice.  I need a louder fan than the 20" box fan. 😀  Now, if I can just get her company to support her instead of me, I might be able to get some of my stuff done.

I have a simple solution - for working near an out loud thinker.... start whistling and singing badly... they find a different place to work 🙂

MVDBA

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Jeff, these may be for you (if you dare venture anywhere to buy them, that is!). I have a pair and they work a treat. Not that I don't want to hear my wife sing, of course.

I have a set (not that expensive, though).  The trouble is, they allow a certain frequency to come through and, unfortunately, Debbie's voice is centered on the Maximum Response Axis of that gap. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Some of us are blessed with such pipes that doing so "badly" is inconceivable. Those who consider it to be so clearly have auditory issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

No chance. You know the drill, "for better, or for remote work. I pledge my troth to thee and thine electronic needs, until we are parted by Death. Or taxes."

I can sympathize with Jeff, and what Jonathan says seems about right.  Years ago when my wife (now ex-wife) worked from home she tried to use me as tech support.  Anything work related, I told her to call her company's help desk.  Trying to help her with her personal stuff was (and still is) difficult.  I also became a courier between her and her local office in Denver (understand we lived on the south side of Colorado Springs) when they decided paying for a courier every day was too expensive with no compensation.  They, her and her company, would guilt me into help when I pushed back.  At one point I did make them come to my place of work to pick up and drop off anything going between their office and her.

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Her being home isn't helping because she's also one of those folks that has to say everything she's doing out-loud as she's doing it. It's as bad as someone chewing ice.  I need a louder fan than the 20" box fan. 😀  Now, if I can just get her company to support her instead of me, I might be able to get some of my stuff done.

I have a simple solution - for working near an out loud thinker.... start whistling and singing badly... they find a different place to work 🙂

Heh... already been tried.  They then ask why I'm making so much noise.  People just don't get it.  It's actually a mental disorder called (very appropriate suffix) "Logorrhea".  Logorrhea is characterized by the constant need to talk

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... already been tried.  They then ask why I'm making so much noise.  People just don't get it.  It's actually a mental disorder called (very appropriate suffix) "Logorrhea".  Logorrhea is characterized by the constant need to talk

we have a whistler, a drummer and a squeaky talker and someone who kicks the desk divider in the office (not my department - they are the artwork team) … as soon as I start to lose my temper and I feel the need to say "stop bloody whistling" I put the headphones on and drown it out

MVDBA

• Jeff Moden wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Maybe a lithium battery burger or chop might help;-P

😎

• Steve, this article page is empty when I pull it up, which I can't help but feel might be a Phil Factor joke:

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/build-and-fill-a-sql-server-database-using-sql-compare-cli-and-a-batch-script

• It's almost funny how little time it takes before I start feeling stir-crazy not being able to go out...

It's the little things.  The "hey, lets go out to dinner tonight," the "there's a new movie out, lets go," the "I'm bored, lets go browse Cabela's / go to this expo / float around Ikea" things that right now, you just can't (shouldn't) do.

I'm hoping today is at least semi-decent weather, not raining and warm-ish, because if it is, I'm pulling my bike off the ceiling and putting some miles on it this afternoon, just to get out of the house for a while.

If it's not, maybe I'll start doing some of the stuff in the Weird Al song, "Called in sick today..."

• jasona.work wrote:

It's almost funny how little time it takes before I start feeling stir-crazy not being able to go out...

It's the little things.  The "hey, lets go out to dinner tonight," the "there's a new movie out, lets go," the "I'm bored, lets go browse Cabela's / go to this expo / float around Ikea" things that right now, you just can't (shouldn't) do.

I'm hoping today is at least semi-decent weather, not raining and warm-ish, because if it is, I'm pulling my bike off the ceiling and putting some miles on it this afternoon, just to get out of the house for a while.

If it's not, maybe I'll start doing some of the stuff in the Weird Al song, "Called in sick today..."

+1

it is a beautiful sunny day in the UK. but everything is shut down. out of the maybe 100 strong dev/support team I think there are 5 of us in the office.... worse, my Monday morning ritual is to leave early and grab a mcdonalds breakfast - they were closed 🙁

last night pizza hut and kfc were shut and my local weatherspoons (biggest chain pub in the UK) was closed... i'm guessing i'm using up things from the freezer and if i have to work from home then i'll try not to snooze all day

MVDBA

Viewing 15 posts - 64,711 through 64,725 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply