Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Thomas Rushton wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

BrainDonor wrote:

Now you've gone and done it - I need to boil my laptop now.

In keeping with the tenor of the times, I'm just throwing mine away rather than take any chances.

Whereas the place I'm at is merely throwing away all contractors...

Anyone want a shiny new DBA?  Who am I kidding?  Anyone want a somewhat jaded and cynical old DBA?  😉

Check here: https://www.allstate.com/careers.aspx%5B/quote%5D

Thanks!

I should have said "UK", shouldn't I...  There don't appear to be any remote/international opportunities.  I suppose the clue is in the name.

Linney.com - based near Nottingham in the UK - I could do with a grumpy DBA to kick some butt

MVDBA

• Sent home from work yesterday AM and now working from home.

Now in isolation with Wife and family, what a bummer.

🙁

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Well, today I was drinking my coffee, trying to come to grips with another day of trying to actually get some work done at home. The housework has slipped. The kids are going stir crazy. I was not ready to face the day. Ian wakes up, comes up to me and says “Good morning to the best Pappy ever! I love you!” My day just got a lot easier.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• we just got graded on a scale of risk

but for those of us that are level 2 or higher (children or wife at risk) (0=you will die)  but we have now been asked to split into blue and red teams.. blue in the office on odd days, red on even days … the details aren't quite final but now we have a 50% chance of figuring out which team is stealing the toilet rolls 🙂

MVDBA

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

Actually, Allstate has a Belfast office and we do remote for IT workers.

And right now, everyone is doing remote. We are well equipped for remote work.

Thanks again - I'll take another look, see what I missed.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

we just got graded on a scale of risk

but for those of us that are level 2 or higher (children or wife at risk) (0=you will die)  but we have now been asked to split into blue and red teams.. blue in the office on odd days, red on even days … the details aren't quite final but now we have a 50% chance of figuring out which team is stealing the toilet rolls 🙂

We've just had the notification from on-high to work from home.  I'm going to see today out in the office then literally head to the hills indefinitely.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• We closed our office last week, everyone at home. Not a big change for some of us, but it is a change. Many things are less active and it looks like more people are treating this like a slowdown and disaster for a few days. I know that will change, but it's strange now.

• Michael L John wrote:

Well, today I was drinking my coffee, trying to come to grips with another day of trying to actually get some work done at home. The housework has slipped. The kids are going stir crazy. I was not ready to face the day. Ian wakes up, comes up to me and says “Good morning to the best Pappy ever! I love you!” My day just got a lot easier.

Very cool, hope it continues as we adapt

• Michael L John wrote:

Well, today I was drinking my coffee, trying to come to grips with another day of trying to actually get some work done at home. The housework has slipped. The kids are going stir crazy. I was not ready to face the day. Ian wakes up, comes up to me and says “Good morning to the best Pappy ever! I love you!” My day just got a lot easier.

this is where I would be all gooey and offer him a puppy - I have a rather aging cat if you want it? 🙂 the only reason I want rid of it is that I need to work from home and the little git seems to think my laptop is a warm place

MVDBA

• Mini rant here: Ordered a new laptop the other day, arrived yesterday. Plugged it in, and it was DOA... Support desk really weren't too helpful, and have started a replacement process, but it's 3 business day before they will organise sending a replacement (in the mean time the product has become sold out, so that's going to be a fun conversation).

Spent some time debugging last night, as 5+ working days for a replacement for a DOA device is a joke. Finally got it going, with mains power, and found out that the device can't detect the battery, which to me suggests someone silly in the factory didn't plug it in (or it's a massively faulty battery device). The company, however, don't trust me to check it and so have strongly suggested I don't open it up to see if it is as simply as that. If I do, and then they can blame me for it being DOA. (Yeah, cause that's how DOA works... it was dead when it arrived, but only after i opened up the case 2 days after it arrived.)

Just want a new working laptop... 🙁

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Mini rant here: Ordered a new laptop the other day, arrived yesterday. Plugged it in, and it was DOA... Support desk really weren't too helpful, and have started a replacement process, but it's 3 business day before they will organise sending a replacement (in the mean time the product has become sold out, so that's going to be a fun conversation).

Spent some time debugging last night, as 5+ working days for a replacement for a DOA device is a joke. Finally got it going, with mains power, and found out that the device can't detect the battery, which to me suggests someone silly in the factory didn't plug it in (or it's a massively faulty battery device). The company, however, don't trust me to check it and so have strongly suggested I don't open it up to see if it is as simply as that. If I do, and then they can blame me for it being DOA. (Yeah, cause that's how DOA works... it was dead when it arrived, but only after i opened up the case 2 days after it arrived.)

Just want a new working laptop... 🙁

this isn't a HP laptop is it? we've had a few where bios wasn't detecting the battery. - quick bios update and BOOM  it all works. however... factory testing should have picked that up. not cool

MVDBA

this isn't a HP laptop is it? we've had a few where bios wasn't detecting the battery. - quick bios update and BOOM  it all works. however... factory testing should have picked that up. not cool

No, a Lenovo Chromebook (I almost bought a HP though!). Not even sure how you would update the bios on those. Could be the BIOS though, didn't think of that. Either way, just really frustrating.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

No, a Lenovo Chromebook (I almost bought a HP though!). Not even sure how you would update the bios on those. Could be the BIOS though, didn't think of that. Either way, just really frustrating.

here's a good starting point

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht500008

MVDBA

• Thom A wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

What is the model?

😎

I've seen this problem on some models like the 100S which have a plug-in battery.

here's a good starting point

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/solutions/ht500008

That's specifically for Windows rather than a Chromebook, unfortunately. I did make a post on their forums, however, to see if anyone had any ideas. Nothing as yet though. Screws on the back are Torx screws, which i don't have a screwdriver for either. >_<

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 64,696 through 64,710 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply