• Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Good luck with that. Not sure third party tools make this better, but you're welcome to eval SQL Backup from Redgate if it might help

Yeah, I've trialed it a couple times here on my homelab (MAN I wish I could have JUST ONE test server that wasn't locked down 6 ways to Sunday at work!) and I like the interface and such.

Plus, I know it'd be easier if I had to give someone the basics to cover for me!

Maybe, someday, I'll get a REAL backup person to help out...

I heard Jeff was looking for work ๐Ÿ™‚

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! Just to be sure... NOT!ย  Like I tell the recruiters that email me, I'm currently working my dream job.ย  I'm doing interesting work with good people for good money and a commute so short that I could ride a unicycle to work without getting chaff marks.ย  Besides, I'm so busy that if I get any busier, I'd need to be twins.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

But imagine all the fun toys you could look at here!

Or find out what happens to your toes when a 70-ton vehicle drives over them, that could be interesting too.ย  Once...

Dude!ย  70 ton "toys"?ย  What company do you work for? Caterpillar or a cement/gravel company?

Well, we do have one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams parked out front of the building I'm in, so that might be a hint for you...

๐Ÿ™‚

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! I know the place!ย  They won't let employees take them out for a test drive, though.

Well, I mean, yeah, if you *ASK* if you can take it for a test drive, sure, they'll say no...

What is it they say, it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission?ย  Or do I have that backwards?

๐Ÿ™‚

• jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Good luck with that. Not sure third party tools make this better, but you're welcome to eval SQL Backup from Redgate if it might help

Yeah, I've trialed it a couple times here on my homelab (MAN I wish I could have JUST ONE test server that wasn't locked down 6 ways to Sunday at work!) and I like the interface and such.

Plus, I know it'd be easier if I had to give someone the basics to cover for me!

Maybe, someday, I'll get a REAL backup person to help out...

I heard Jeff was looking for work ๐Ÿ™‚

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! Just to be sure... NOT!ย  Like I tell the recruiters that email me, I'm currently working my dream job.ย  I'm doing interesting work with good people for good money and a commute so short that I could ride a unicycle to work without getting chaff marks.ย  Besides, I'm so busy that if I get any busier, I'd need to be twins.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

But imagine all the fun toys you could look at here!

Or find out what happens to your toes when a 70-ton vehicle drives over them, that could be interesting too.ย  Once...

Dude!ย  70 ton "toys"?ย  What company do you work for? Caterpillar or a cement/gravel company?

Well, we do have one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams parked out front of the building I'm in, so that might be a hint for you...

๐Ÿ™‚

BWAAAA-HAAAA!!!! I know the place!ย  They won't let employees take them out for a test drive, though.

Well, I mean, yeah, if you *ASK* if you can take it for a test drive, sure, they'll say no...

What is it they say, it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission?ย  Or do I have that backwards?

๐Ÿ™‚

Either way, the "performance testing" would potentially be very interesting......

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Yeah, somebody's tried that before. Didn't work out so well for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Well, we do have one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams parked out front of the building I'm in, so that might be a hint for you...

๐Ÿ™‚

haha - try having a 335 mph drag racer parked in your corporate reception, lingerie models in photo shoots, red carpet at new star wars films and a certain iconic "helmet" and ejector seat that i'm not allowed to post pictures of (until film release day) just lying around the office....

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚

a 335 mph drag racer ย 

Now we are talking ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚

a 335 mph drag racer ย 

Now we are talking ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜Ž

yeah 0-60mph in 1.5 seconds 0-100mph in 2.5 (if I remember the figures on the board I ignore every day because i'm drooling over the car)ย  - the girl who drives it is about 25 years old , ranked as 5th in the UK and is the only woman in her class and sits about 50 ft from me near the photocopier ๐Ÿ™‚

if she can get a big old customised pickup truck engineย  in a 5 meter long plastic canoe to that speed..... well then i need her expertise re-applied to making some of our old code run at that speed

MVDBA

• I'll be the angel of death this time:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51209197

I'd love to say, he's not quite dead.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• A

Grant Fritchey wrote:

I'll be the angel of death this time:

Always look on the bright side of life

For life is quite absurd,

And death's the final word.

You must always face the curtain with a bow!

Forget about your sin -- give the audience a grin,

Enjoy it, it's the last chance anyhow!

So always look on the bright side of death!

Just before you draw your terminal breath.

Life's a piece of [redacted],

When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,

You'll see it's all a show,

Keep 'em laughing as you go.

Just remember that the last laugh is on you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

I'll be the angel of death this time:

Despite being told that he is deceased and has not been nailed to a perch, the lead developer insists that he is "pining for the fjords" or simply "stunned".

monty python at their best in the dead parrot sketch - I might have to watch "the life of brian" tonight - and grant โ€ฆ if eric idle goes next, i'm staying well away from you at any conference. ๐Ÿ™

MVDBA

• A Mรธรธse once bit my sister...

• RIP Terry, thanks for all the smiles you brought!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• On a different note, here's one of the many reasons I fear both the cloud and any automatic performance metrics collected by any company...

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-accidentally-exposes-250-million-customer-support-records-online/

This has gotten to be a totally stupid problem, especially since it's so easy to prevent.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Just a thought,

every post I've replied to in the last few weeks has had updates and new info from pretty much the same bunch of people on here.

Grant, Jeff,KTFlash, Jonathan AC Roberts and a few others.. but the original posters often don't re-engage with the conversation when we open up a dialogue and give them the answer on a plate.

Am I the only one thinking that we need some fresh blood throwing solutions around?

MVDBA

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Just a thought,

every post I've replied to in the last few weeks has had updates and new info from pretty much the same bunch of people on here.

Grant, Jeff,KTFlash, Jonathan AC Roberts and a few others.. but the original posters often don't re-engage with the conversation when we open up a dialogue and give them the answer on a plate.

Am I the only one thinking that we need some fresh blood throwing solutions around?

Bring 'em in!

Hopefully shedding more light than heat, I think most of the time, the OP either has their answer, and disappears until next time. Or, when the answer is not "hit magic button X, which fixes all the things" they lose interest. Lots of people seem to be caught way over their heads. If stuff isn't an instant, abiding fix, but rather, a request for lots more information or a suggestion that they need to literally change what they're doing (which, let's face it, most people can't, won't, don't want to, or have been forbidden from even suggesting), they leave. There are lots of places. I saw the exact same question from someone appear on Quora, where I answered it. Then here, where I answered it (the same way) and asked if they posted on Quora. Then I saw the same question appear on Stack Overflow. My answer was not push button x, so they went shopping to find that answer (they never did of course).

This isn't a "kids these days" situation. I'm pretty sure most of the people we engage with are our age (not yours, Jeff). They're just utterly overwhelmed and are seeking instant answers, not deeper learning and understanding.

However, if you think new voices is the answer, hell, let's hear 'em. I'm all in on that. I skip some questions just because I feel like, I've answered that one three times this week. We could use new voices. The more the merrier. I always encourage engagement at places like this. It's a great way to build expertise & knowledge. I'd say this is especially true here at SSC where we are, mostly, quite kind about it all (we fail sometimes, oh well, keep trying).

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• To add to what Grant has stated, I agree that "new" voices are a bonus on any forum but I have seen some "new" people come in with some answers that are just horrible.ย  When you point out why their answer has an issue and a possible better method (even with coded proof that it is), a lot of them just bail out instead of embracing it as a learning opportunity themselves.ย  It's one of the ways I learned (and still learn) a lot.ย  Post something and have someone post something better even if they call me out directly??? I'm all ears if it involves code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 15 posts - 64,366 through 64,380 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply