Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I haven't seen it yet either but plan on once I recover from my being sick after visiting my oldest daughter and four grandkids in TN over Christmas.

I honestly don't care what the critics say, I want to see it just because it is Star Wars.

• I went to see ROS with my brother-in-law and nephew between Christmas and New Year and I thought it was pretty good.  There were plot holes you could drive a lorry through and some truly terrible lines but it did what I wanted it to do.  The important thing was my nephew loved it.  It was his first 'grown-up' film and he was a very excited young man.  The fact his uncle bought him nearly a pound of pick-and-mix and was encouraging him to eat it all had nothing to do with it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Neil Burton.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Well, I'm finally getting one of my wishes at work and I'm simultaneously happy and worried...

I'm getting complete control over my database backups.  We're cloudifying (well, they're calling it a cloud, it's really the same basic setup we've got now except the people managing the underlying hardware are in a different state) our servers (web, SQL, and others,) and the only backups the cloud provides is file-level.

So, initially, I'm going to go with the Ola scripts for the backups rather than trying to roll my own or a maintenance plan or the headaches of purchasing software.  Long-term, I'd like to go with a commercial solution just to make it easier for the times I'm on vacation or after I leave, but that's a down-the-road.

Wish me luck (or skill, skill might be better)!

• Good luck with that. Not sure third party tools make this better, but you're welcome to eval SQL Backup from Redgate if it might help

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Good luck with that. Not sure third party tools make this better, but you're welcome to eval SQL Backup from Redgate if it might help

Is Redgate backup able to "pull" from database servers to backup servers? I evaluated it once a while back, but it was before all the malware madness, and now I'm reading more often that pulling backups from database servers is better than pushing backups to backup servers.

• I'm not sure what you mean by pull. Do you mean copy the backup file? SQL backups from from the instance and are written to files. If you are looking for a copy after the backup is complete, that's an interesting question. I'll have to ask the team since I don't remember the architecture here.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Good luck with that. Not sure third party tools make this better, but you're welcome to eval SQL Backup from Redgate if it might help

Yeah, I've trialed it a couple times here on my homelab (MAN I wish I could have JUST ONE test server that wasn't locked down 6 ways to Sunday at work!) and I like the interface and such.

Plus, I know it'd be easier if I had to give someone the basics to cover for me!

Maybe, someday, I'll get a REAL backup person to help out...

• jasona.work wrote:

Well, I'm finally getting one of my wishes at work and I'm simultaneously happy and worried...

I'm getting complete control over my database backups.  We're cloudifying (well, they're calling it a cloud, it's really the same basic setup we've got now except the people managing the underlying hardware are in a different state) our servers (web, SQL, and others,) and the only backups the cloud provides is file-level.

So, initially, I'm going to go with the Ola scripts for the backups rather than trying to roll my own or a maintenance plan or the headaches of purchasing software.  Long-term, I'd like to go with a commercial solution just to make it easier for the times I'm on vacation or after I leave, but that's a down-the-road.

Wish me luck (or skill, skill might be better)!

I've inherited Ola everywhere I go and it's great for backups but not really designed too well for restores, but I'm so happy I have Redgate SQLBackup Pro... backups are so fast and the compression (even at level 1) is super cool.

also object level recovery from a .sqb file without needing to restore is cool (by the way - I don't work for Redgate - I just bug their call centre every time I don't read the release notes on an upgragde)

MVDBA

• jasona.work wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Yeah, I've trialed it a couple times here on my homelab (MAN I wish I could have JUST ONE test server that wasn't locked down 6 ways to Sunday at work!) and I like the interface and such.

Plus, I know it'd be easier if I had to give someone the basics to cover for me!

Maybe, someday, I'll get a REAL backup person to help out...

I heard Jeff was looking for work 🙂

MVDBA

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• x wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Is Redgate backup able to "pull" from database servers to backup servers? I evaluated it once a while back, but it was before all the malware madness, and now I'm reading more often that pulling backups from database servers is better than pushing backups to backup servers.

Ooooo... interesting and very timely subject for me, Patrick.  Do you have any favorite links on the subject of pulling rather than pushing?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

also object level recovery from a .sqb file without needing to restore is cool (by the way - I don't work for Redgate - I just bug their call centre every time I don't read the release notes on an upgragde)

Now there's something I didn't know about.  RedGate had stopped carrying a previous product that did such a thing and I got lazy and stopped looking to see if there was some other way within RedGate to do object level recoveries.  Is that something they have documented on their site?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Do you have any favorite links on the subject of pulling rather than pushing?

Hmmmm ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Now there's something I didn't know about.  RedGate had stopped carrying a previous product that did such a thing and I got lazy and stopped looking to see if there was some other way within RedGate to do object level recoveries.  Is that something they have documented on their site?

we've been doing it using sql comparesq version 14 -  source is a backup, target is a database.... it's not always fast though, same with sql data compare

MVDBA

• Honestly, I thought we had pulled this from the product, but I was wrong. Here you go, object level recovery in Redgate SQL Backup.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 15 posts - 64,321 through 64,335 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply