Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jonathan.crawford wrote:

Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

HA!!

From the reviews I've heard, I was right though.

It's a real shame. I did love the universe set up by the first two (chronological) movies. Then, it slipped and slid into utter crap.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Unexpected gifts from nowhere... I now have a second "Ice Breaker/Litmus Test" question for interviews. No need to pile on folks.  I'm just a little gob-smacked that someone has been working with SQL for at least 1 year and 7 months (according to their post history), claims to be "newbie", and then doesn't know such a thing and (apparently) made no effort on their own to find out.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/difference-between-numeric-and-decimal

I guess things like this shouldn't surprise me anymore.

Considering that NUMERIC and DECIMAL are synonymous.  I will add one for you.  In some dynamic code I am reworking numeric is treated as a floating number and decimal as fixed decimal when converting to a character representation.

Lynn, can I swap jobs?

I have a table with 1024 columns, labelled col1,col2,col3 etc. for each customer col3 might store a differerent value (car parking spaces, staff count, number of police incidents etc) - now there is also a trigger on that table that calls a stored proc (meaning we can only update one row at a time)…. so I have a cursor and in the where clause of the cursor is a non-deterministic function (with another cursor in it) - the function executes against 50 million rows and returns 3 or 4 rows...…..MADNESS

developer solution - "get better hardware, we've had this for a year"

My solution : "LEARN TO WRITE KEY VALUE PAIRS, NORMALISE, AND STOP USING SQL LIKE YOU USE C# (BADLY)

Ouch!!! This sounds a lot like a bunch of stuff I dealt with about 15 years on a long term consultancy. They had multiple nested stored procs with cursors with multiple entry points into the nested set of procs. The outer procs all created temp tables that were referenced by the inner procs. Nested cursors in most of them. The original author had left the company and nobody could unravel the mess that was left behind. Fortunately they had a large plotter so I was able to document the current process and show a visual path of just how crazy the whole thing was. Took me and about 4 other people close to a year to unravel that disaster. This was a nightly process that took several hours. Once we were done it was running in less than a couple minutes.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Like all art, it means different things to different people. I was born in '78, so only got to see Return of the Jedi in the theater, guess which movie was my favorite? And to me, Star Wars in general was the end-all and be-all of sci-fi growing up, so it's nostalgia. Prequels basically ruined that for me.

Rogue One trailer popped up that first time, I actually teared up and choked out "many bothans died..." ( and then, where were the bothans?)

But, I've come to see things in a different lens through my son, who still has only seen the lego versions of the movies (he's too scared by all the blaster scenes just yet, this may be the year). If these new movies, although it's just the old ones turned inside out, manage to inspire him to imagine bigger things and turn him on to more fantastic stories, then they've done their job.

Plus, turns out Lucas is an idiot and wanted to do some sort of "inner space" version of things with the midichlorians. Thank goodness that didn't happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Rogue One trailer popped up that first time, I actually teared up and choked out "many bothans died..." ( and then, where were the bothans?)

None for the Death Star; they all died for the plans of the Death Star II. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• see? learn something new every day. Now we just need a Guns of Navarro/Mission Impossible/James Bond movie about Bothans that ties right into Jedi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Sean Lange wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Unexpected gifts from nowhere... I now have a second "Ice Breaker/Litmus Test" question for interviews. No need to pile on folks.  I'm just a little gob-smacked that someone has been working with SQL for at least 1 year and 7 months (according to their post history), claims to be "newbie", and then doesn't know such a thing and (apparently) made no effort on their own to find out.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/difference-between-numeric-and-decimal

Considering that NUMERIC and DECIMAL are synonymous.  I will add one for you.  In some dynamic code I am reworking numeric is treated as a floating number and decimal as fixed decimal when converting to a character representation.

Lynn, can I swap jobs?

I have a table with 1024 columns, labelled col1,col2,col3 etc. for each customer col3 might store a differerent value (car parking spaces, staff count, number of police incidents etc) - now there is also a trigger on that table that calls a stored proc (meaning we can only update one row at a time)…. so I have a cursor and in the where clause of the cursor is a non-deterministic function (with another cursor in it) - the function executes against 50 million rows and returns 3 or 4 rows...…..MADNESS

My solution : "LEARN TO WRITE KEY VALUE PAIRS, NORMALISE, AND STOP USING SQL LIKE YOU USE C# (BADLY)

Ouch!!! This sounds a lot like a bunch of stuff I dealt with about 15 years on a long term consultancy. They had multiple nested stored procs with cursors with multiple entry points into the nested set of procs. The outer procs all created temp tables that were referenced by the inner procs. Nested cursors in most of them. The original author had left the company and nobody could unravel the mess that was left behind. Fortunately they had a large plotter so I was able to document the current process and show a visual path of just how crazy the whole thing was. Took me and about 4 other people close to a year to unravel that disaster. This was a nightly process that took several hours. Once we were done it was running in less than a couple minutes.

I can make it worse - because the table is shared between multiple customers, they have the option to "add new fields" - it tries to add a new field and a new field in a view...… ERROR cannot have more than 1024 fields.

if we get another customer we are dead. - I end up going to the devs and saying "which field can I drop" - answer "oh MAYBE anything between 17 and 24" so I do it, everything breaks...… luckily the smart DBA has a DR server with a compressed backup (still nearly a terabyte) and a nice boss who bought him and all the department Redgate toolbelt..... funny how it's my job to restore the data and never the dev team 🙁

MVDBA

(he's too scared by all the blaster scenes just yet, this may be the year). that didn't happen.

we all know stormtroopers cant hit anything with a blaster - ell him how bad they are - he'll just laugh

MVDBA

• but....you tested dropping those columns in UAT somewhere and had the devs sign off on what to change and whether it worked correctly, right? Or you'll do that for the next round?

but....you tested dropping those columns in UAT somewhere and had the devs sign off on what to change and whether it worked correctly, right? Or you'll do that for the next round?

hahahahahahahahahah you make me cry -'m in the middle of devops at the minute - I've only just got us in source control, our devs just do stuff on live ….. THIS WILL CHANGE

MVDBA

hahahahahahahahahah you make me cry -'m in the middle of devops at the minute - I've only just got us in source control, our devs just do stuff on live ….. THIS WILL CHANGE

You poor soul... at least now I don't feel as bad that I spend a lot of my time telling night-shift workers on the other side of the planet the way they should have done things and all the things that they don't do that they should have.

Grant Fritchey wrote:

As to the last film. How long have they known that they could launch a ship into space warp or whatever they're calling it and destroy every single thing in it's path? Why wasn't this a common tactic. Throw a droid on a derelict and launch it at the enemy. Heck, purpose build a bunch of rails with a warp drive and throw them at the enemy. Not to mention, blast enemy installations with it. Death Star? No problem. Throw five or six of those rails at it. Done. Fixed it.

Or, let's say they just figured it out. If they're not using it all over the place in the next movie, it's stupid. You just found one of the single most devastating weapons in the universe, but you're going to go back to star fighters? Nope. Space battles suddenly look like Jutland. No heavy concentrations of ships because of this new terror weapon. Everyone is scattered & isolated in a far flung cloud where you try to coordinate attacks of the fleet.

Again, that would be a great movie done right. I'm anticipating more simulations of the Battle of Midway combined with Dam Busters, just with additional stupid.

Good! Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

Unfortunately I don't think it works all the time.  It may depend on the distance from the ship being attacked if it is destroyed or not.  In Rogue One as the Rebel fleet fled I remember seeing at least one rebel ship destroyed when it hit a Star Destroyer when it "warped in" while the rebel ship was "warping out".

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think it works all the time.  It may depend on the [plot value of the ship entering hyperspace] if it is destroyed or not.

Fixed that for you...

Sean Lange wrote:

MVDBA (Mike Vessey) wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Lynn, can I swap jobs?

I can make it worse - because the table is shared between multiple customers, they have the option to "add new fields" - it tries to add a new field and a new field in a view...… ERROR cannot have more than 1024 fields.

if we get another customer we are dead. - I end up going to the devs and saying "which field can I drop" - answer "oh MAYBE anything between 17 and 24" so I do it, everything breaks...… luckily the smart DBA has a DR server with a compressed backup (still nearly a terabyte) and a nice boss who bought him and all the department Redgate toolbelt..... funny how it's my job to restore the data and never the dev team 🙁

This definitely sounds like it should have been done as an EAV table instead of a flat table.  Of course, a better (read thought out) design would have been even better.

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Unfortunately I don't think it works all the time.  It may depend on the [plot value of the ship entering hyperspace] if it is destroyed or not.

Fixed that for you...

Thanks 😉

• Still haven't seen Star Wars. Was disappointed in 7, 8 was better. Need to go see the last one with my kid. Finding time is the hard part now.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,306 through 64,320 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply