Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden wrote:

jasona.work wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Major congrats on the "term" to "perm" thing.  They should rename the "term" position to "Damocles".

As for migrating SSIS packages, I've discovered a sure fire way to not have any problems... don't have any. 😀

Thanks Jeff!

You know, you and one of the developers would get along great, he's as averse to SSIS as you are!  🙂

But, he's comfortable supporting the methods he does use, so I'm not going to stop him.  Others like using SSIS, so, same thing.

I've got to say it again... SSIS is actually a pretty good tool and I'm not totally adverse to people using it if they understand the consequences of its use during events like migrations.  What I loath about it is how people use it.  It seems there are a lot of people that use it because they don't actually know how to use some rather simple T-SQL to do the things they want to do and so they end up calling C# and a ton of other "external" programming to do the job.

" It seems there are a lot of people that use it because they don't actually know how to use some rather simple T-SQL..."

That's what bothers me the most.  It's amazing the amount of added steps added to a data flow that could have been done with simple SQL when pulling the data from the source.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• BWAAAA-HAAA-HAAAA!!!!  I LOVE the cartoon!  Thanks for the great laugh!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I suspect that someone starting as a data analyst in this case isn't really technical, but maybe is a business person that got pointed to a SQL article or given a code sample and doesn't know what a data type is.

Not to defend them, but I also have no idea sometimes why people get hired, or given a job without any guidance. I'd suspect in this case, the person is trying not to ask a question at work and showcase ignorance, but it's just as likely they have a horrible boss that doesn't take kindly to questions.

Great cartoon, though.

• Amazed at the simplicity of upgrading SQL Server (2017) on Linux to 2019. It was literally remove the 2017 repository, add the 2019 repository, then run a dist-upgrade. I had to log in as sa afterwards, to kick the instance out of admin only mode, and it was done.

Longest part was waiting for the 223MB upgrade to download over the 10Mbps line I have; otherwise it literally took about 30 seconds.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Amazed at the simplicity of upgrading SQL Server (2017) on Linux to 2019

Yes, I just did this myself this past weekend at home.  The Linux download is much more pleasant than that 1.3 GB download for the Windows version.  😉  It's worked very nice for my little home lab I have setup.  When I setup 2017 though, I took the complicated route and did it on Ubuntu 18.04 instead of the supported 16.04 so I had to do the workarounds.

When I tried to upgrade to 2019 on my Windows machine, I had the dependency problem of an older SQL 2012 Native Client, took a while to find that issue.

• I really think most of us will move to Linux over time. A decade, but we'll find it much easier as we move to SQL 2017+ and start to not care about the OS at all.

• Wanted to try the new shiny SQL Server 2019. Install failed midway because some dependancy. System config checker is allright.

Detailed results:
    Feature: Database Engine Services
    Reason for failure: An error occurred for a dependency of the feature causing the setup process for the feature to fail.
    Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.

Feature: SQL Client Connectivity SDK
    Reason for failure: An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
    Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, and then try the setup process again.
  • Spin up containers. Easier, faster. Or, a VM on Azure. Again, easier & faster. Especially just for testing stuff out.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Spin up containers. Easier, faster. Or, a VM on Azure. Again, easier & faster. Especially just for testing stuff out.

Have to agree that using a Container makes things so trivial for spinning up a new instance to test on. More or less takes as long as downloading the image (is it's not already downloaded).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Given it is RTM, I would at least expect that the installer works or notifies about the requirements

• Jo Pattyn wrote:

Given it is RTM, I would at least expect that the installer works or notifies about the requirements

Have a look at the installation logs; they are far more verbose and will very likely tell you what's missing.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Geez, who knew selling a bloody house could be this much trouble...

When the title search (I'm presuming) on the house shows an "inactive" mortgage from a lender that went belly-up 6 years ago and was in the process of being "transferred" to a new corporate owner the same year you refinanced your mortgage away from them.  And you've got in your hands the county paperwork that says "this lender says they no longer hold lien on this property and have been paid in full" but it sounds like the bloody title company working on this can't find it / can't get a copy / has found a mysterious 3rd mortgage you didn't know you had maybe so the sale might get held up and you've already put in for a leave early the day of the signing which has already moved once...

Just the sort of thing I want to be stressing over through the Thanksgiving holiday...

• What people don't realize is that buying and selling homes are challenging transactions that often have no clear checklist or process being delivered to consumers from lenders and agents.

412-977-3526 call/text

• jasona.work wrote:

Geez, who knew selling a bloody house could be this much trouble...

When the title search (I'm presuming) on the house shows an "inactive" mortgage from a lender that went belly-up 6 years ago and was in the process of being "transferred" to a new corporate owner the same year you refinanced your mortgage away from them.  And you've got in your hands the county paperwork that says "this lender says they no longer hold lien on this property and have been paid in full" but it sounds like the bloody title company working on this can't find it / can't get a copy / has found a mysterious 3rd mortgage you didn't know you had maybe so the sale might get held up and you've already put in for a leave early the day of the signing which has already moved once...

Just the sort of thing I want to be stressing over through the Thanksgiving holiday...

Sorry to hear about that and hope you smooth things out. We sold a house in Sept, and it was a piece of cake. Sold in a few hours and then closed about 12 days later. Never even met the buyers, just went and signed stuff at the title company.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,156 through 64,170 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply