Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Robert Sterbal wrote:

What people don't realize is that buying and selling homes are challenging transactions that often have no clear checklist or process being delivered to consumers from lenders and agents.

Not sure I agree here. There is a lot of paperwork, and both your agent and the lender ought to be walking you through these items. There are checklists in all transactions I've done. Granted, I've only done this in VA, FL, CO, and CA, but I have bought and sold a dozen houses.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Not sure I agree here. There is a lot of paperwork, and both your agent and the lender ought to be walking you through these items. There are checklists in all transactions I've done. Granted, I've only done this in VA, FL, CO, and CA, but I have bought and sold a dozen houses.

I have to agree with Steve. While it is an enormous PITA, I've done property deals in MA, NJ and NH, as well as  small one in SC that doesn't count. Between MA & NJ, I'm pretty sure every regulation known to man is in effect. However, banks & lenders have very complete checklists. The issue isn't the checklist, it's the scheduling of everything on it since it can involve multiple government agencies, banks, insurance companies, lending companies, etc.. It's not knowing what needs to be done, rather, getting it done in the correct order. This is also clearly specified, but dealing with multiple different bureaucracies that aren't beholden to one another.... blech.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• A very complete checklist and a useful one for an intermittent buyer are two different things.

Good checklists are developed over time, and have the right amount of detail for the process being documented.

It sounds like you aren't the only types of buyers.

412-977-3526 call/text

• There are checklist for every transaction I've had. A checklist to be sure everything is signed, and checklists ahead of time to be sure that all items, like title searches, insurance, escrow, etc. are covered.

Real estate is complex, and certainly I'm not a typical buyer/seller. I have been involved in different types of transactions (multiple loans, contingencies, all cash, etc.) and have seen quite a bit. I think all the legal stuff that has come into play is good, and it helps ensure that this complex process gets completed.

However, it is a ton of paperwork. I recognize most of it, and don't get to concerned, but intermittent buyers can be overwhelmed. If you aren't sure what is happening, your agent or loan officer should provide you with a checklist. They are out there. For most of us, we don't care about all the middle process stuff. It doesn't really involve the buyer or seller most of the time, as it's info shuffling among the companies that handle the transaction.

That being said, when things go wrong, or companies have problems transferring something like escrow or title, it's a nightmare because no one expects things to go wrong.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

That being said, when things go wrong, or companies have problems transferring something like escrow or title, it's a nightmare because no one expects things to go wrong.

This is I think, the source of the problem.  It sounds like (and keep in mind, I've only spoken once with the title company rep,) that our original mortgage on the house was never marked "paid in full" everywhere it needed to be when we re-financed.  It *WAS* done in the important place, the county Registrar of Deeds and we've got the paperwork to prove it, but not on the lookup system the title companies use (MERS / Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems) so now the title company is trying to make sure it won't show up as a problem when the buyer sells the property...

I will say, this has been an eye-opening look into what goes on in trying to sell a house / property!  It's our first time selling a home (we've bought twice, first time the house we're selling, which went smoothly, second time it was a new-build in a new sub, so there was no previous mortgage!)

• Thanks Steve Jones for the article. After uninstalling native client the 2019 worked

• Seems like the spam is ramping up again.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Seems like the spam is ramping up again.

All the bots are on holiday from Thanks Giving, so they need something else to do with their time. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Don't you just love it when you get a "urgent" work request that needs to be done "NOW", because it's impacting staff productivity, so you get the work done in dev and test it (all works), up scale it to UAT and advise it's ready for testing within a day; because it's "urgent".

Then, one month later, as you're working through out standing commits, you stumble across this "urgent" work that's still not in Live and think "Ooops, maybe i missed the feedback." So you send an email across, double checking that testing was completed and successful, and apologise that it hadn't been deployed yet, to get the response "Oh, we weren't planning to look at that until January".

Was it really that urgent you had to escalate the issue to the directors that you wanted it fixed "NOW" if you aren't going to even look at the build for 3 months?! Argh. >_<

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Don't you just love it when you get a "urgent" work request that needs to be done "NOW", because it's impacting staff productivity, so you get the work done in dev and test it (all works), up scale it to UAT and advise it's ready for testing within a day; because it's "urgent".

Then, one month later, as you're working through out standing commits, you stumble across this "urgent" work that's still not in Live and think "Ooops, maybe i missed the feedback." So you send an email across, double checking that testing was completed and successful, and apologise that it hadn't been deployed yet, to get the response "Oh, we weren't planning to look at that until January".

Was it really that urgent you had to escalate the issue to the directors that you wanted it fixed "NOW" if you aren't going to even look at the build for 3 months?! Argh. >_<

One good thing about this is the amount of ammo now in your possession when the next 'urgent' request comes up!

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Don't you just love it when you get a "urgent" work request that needs to be done "NOW", because it's impacting staff productivity, so you get the work done in dev and test it (all works), up scale it to UAT and advise it's ready for testing within a day; because it's "urgent".

One good thing about this is the amount of ammo now in your possession when the next 'urgent' request comes up!

Nah... always do "urgent" requests quickly.  They're almost never urgent and will frequently end up like the one did for Thom but you can really gain the upper hand on these types of things.  First, if they really are urgent, you are a hero.  If they end up like Thom's, then it's already done, there's no chance of you failing to hit the deadline, and you know what to expect for deadlines in the future when it comes to people wanting to make changes because they didn't actually know what the hell it is they actually need but knew something had to be done even if it was wrong and you still end up the hero but, sometimes, with apologies from the idiots that were urgent. 😀

Remember... it doesn't matter if something is urgent or not... we get paid the same no matter what.  If we can look good doing it and solve people's urgencies quickly, that might help us on our next annual review and help us get a pay raise.  If nothing else, keep a list of such urgencies because, on a pick'n'choose basis, they can look damned good on a resume. 😀

I do STRONGLY agree that urgencies should not turn your job into regular 60-80 hour work weeks.

And remember, practice NVO... No Verbal Orders, especially for urgencies.  If you have a ticketing system, make damned sure it's used for such things.  If you don't, make sure there's an email chain that you save.  People with urgencies are also the first to look for scape-goats when THEY fail to urgently perform on their own urgency.  It's a shame that things turn out that way but they almost always do.

I've also found that if you get people to write their "gotta have it NOWs" in the form of a ticket or an "official email", a lot of urgencies simply vanish or the real truth about them being needed in several months suddenly appears.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• What I hate is when you get the 'Urgent' email on a request for some data.  Then you spend the rest of the day working on it.  Then the next day when you are ready to send the data you get that the person is out of the office for the next couple days.  Was it really that urgent?  Nope, then you follow up a few days after they get back in the office and they say "I haven't had time to look at it."  Boy that really pisses me off.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 wrote:

What I hate is when you get the 'Urgent' email on a request for some data.  Then you spend the rest of the day working on it.  Then the next day when you are ready to send the data you get that the person is out of the office for the next couple days.  Was it really that urgent?  Nope, then you follow up a few days after they get back in the office and they say "I haven't had time to look at it."  Boy that really pisses me off.

It pisses me off, as well.  It does help my scheduling of "urgencies" though. 😀  I keep solid records of such abuses of the word "Urgent".  I'm also not afraid of confronting the manager of such individuals and educating them on why such "Cry Wolf" urgencies can actually hurt the business.  Such things don't actually happen to me often anymore because they know that if it turns out to be another abuse of the word "Urgent", I'll cut off their head, crap in their neck, and use their head for an ashtray. 😀

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• p.s.  I've also adopted the policy of NVO (No Verbal Orders), especially for "urgencies".  It there's not a well documented ticket to support the urgency, it doesn't get done.  While that sounds like I'm being nothing more than an Ahole, I'm not.  It supports audits and a whole bunch of other things and I've gotten management support on that.  It's actually written into our SOPs on the company WIKI.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

p.s.  I've also adopted the policy of NVO (No Verbal Orders), especially for "urgencies".  It there's not a well documented ticket to support the urgency, it doesn't get done.  While that sounds like I'm being nothing more than an Ahole, I'm not.  It supports audits and a whole bunch of other things and I've gotten management support on that.  It's actually written into our SOPs on the company WIKI.

I don't get the verbal ones either anymore, at least at this job.  My old job it seemed like a constant flood of them.  We didn't really have a good ticket request system, not after we dropped Lotus Notes and that killed the one I had created.  Now everything has a Jira ticket, we got to keep track of how we spend our hours each day.  <eye roll>

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

Viewing 15 posts - 64,171 through 64,185 (of 66,579 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply