Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Something I did purely out of habit (from Stack Overflow/GitHub), but was surprised to find out to worked is backtick quoting (`) works on the site as well. So if you want to use inline statements you can do so, or make an keyword, like INSERT , appear as code, you can. 🙂

This little additional functionality. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Now all everyone has to do is fix the links in their signature line. 🙁

Well... that and a dozen other things. 🙁  Try finding an article written by a given article and see that they've include blog entries as article.  Look for Gail Shaw's articles (a good example of blog entries not associated with this site) and realize that your screen search isn't going to find them and that you'll have to search instead for "GilaMonster".

The good part is that the stuff that supports code works better than it has for more than half a decade.  Do be aware that it "auto wraps" and, if you want to prevent that in your posts, you have to limit your code to 92 characters in width.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Jeff Moden.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Now all everyone has to do is fix the links in their signature line. ??

Was honestly hopeful that the address for the old articles would be set up to redirect. If you Google "delimitedSplit8k" or "NGram8k" right now, you're going to have a hard time to find the old articles.

Maybe a redirection will come later down the line (just not too late).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Oh yeah... almost forgot... you have an extremely limited amount of time to edit a post. 🙁

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Ugh...how many links all over the interwebs are there to the DelimitedSplit8K article? Or any of the other articles. Not sure why some are still valid and others aren't.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Thom A wrote:

2364090 wrote:

Now all everyone has to do is fix the links in their signature line. ??

Was honestly hopeful that the address for the old articles would be set up to redirect. If you Google “delimitedSplit8k” or “NGram8k” right now, you’re going to have a hard time to find the old articles. Maybe a redirection will come later down the line (just not too late).

Good lord... that's the one thing I've not checked... I did the search for "DelimitedSplit8K", which returned an entry for the "Tally OH" article.  When I clicked on the Google link for that, it took me to the infamous OOPS. SORRY, PAGE NOT FOUND page.  This makes just about everything that people search for on this site totally useless especially if they have favorite links they click on.  I'm mostly disgusted about this whole change.  My comment about "change" in my signature line rings true once again.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Does the Latest Topics section not include this thread/forum anymore?

• Sean Lange wrote:

Ugh…how many links all over the interwebs are there to the DelimitedSplit8K article? Or any of the other articles. Not sure why some are still valid and others aren’t.

I have cited those articles and others many times on Stack Overflow; they're all be lose a big value to people visiting those answers now. But shows why link only answers are frowned upon now on that site (for reasons just like this).

Is anyone else seeing that massive sad emoticon in the quotes? Honestly, I laughed quite hard at seeing that "feature".

If you can't I'll upload a image later (having to save an image to now upload it annoys me, what happened to the pasting of an image functionality?)

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

2365944 wrote:

Ugh…how many links all over the interwebs are there to the DelimitedSplit8K article? Or any of the other articles. Not sure why some are still valid and others aren’t.

I have cited those articles and others many times on Stack Overflow; they’re all be lose a big value to people visiting those answers now. But shows why link only answers are frowned upon now on that site (for reasons just like this). Is anyone else seeing that massive sad emoticon in the quotes? Honestly, I laughed quite hard at seeing that “feature”. If you can’t I’ll upload a image later (having to save an image to now upload it annoys me, what happened to the pasting of an image functionality?)

Ironically, the huge sad emoticon is entirely appropriate here.  Just imagine if Paul Randal's site did such a thing.

I've tolerated a lot of "improvements" on this site that have broken things but I can't believe the broke the damned internet this time.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• This "little" problem is also the likely reason why about 80% of all my briefcase listings are now gone.  🙁

They really need to fix this now... not "ASAP" but NOW!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Now all everyone has to do is fix the links in their signature line. ?? Well… that and a dozen other things. ?? Try finding an article written by a given article and see that they’ve include blog entries as article. Look for Gail Shaw’s articles (a good example of blog entries not associated with this site) and realize that your screen search isn’t going to find them and that you’ll have to search instead for “GilaMonster”. The good part is that the stuff that supports code works better than it has for more than half a decade. Do be aware that it “auto wraps” and, if you want to prevent that in your posts, you have to limit your code to 92 characters in width.

He he, my motto is "do not sign anything"

😎

• Jeff Moden wrote:

This “little” problem is also the likely reason why about 80% of all my briefcase listings are now gone. ?? They really need to fix this now… not “ASAP” but NOW!

I'm currently at the Redgate office. There are a couple of people working on it right now. It'll get fixed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

2373715 wrote:

This “little” problem is also the likely reason why about 80% of all my briefcase listings are now gone. They really need to fix this now… not “ASAP” but NOW!

I’m currently at the Redgate office. There are a couple of people working on it right now. It’ll get fixed.

Great news Grant, thanks for the update.

(One huge sad smily was funny, 2 not so much)

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• I note that once a topic has been read, it does not appear change in any form in order to indicate that it has been read.

Also, I cannot see how to jump to the 1st unread post in a thread.

• Thom A wrote:

2374501 wrote:

2373715 wrote:

This “little” problem is also the likely reason why about 80% of all my briefcase listings are now gone. They really need to fix this now… not “ASAP” but NOW!

I’m currently at the Redgate office. There are a couple of people working on it right now. It’ll get fixed.

Great news Grant, thanks for the update. (One huge sad smily was funny, 2 not so much)

Yeah, that's good news.  The breaking of all links to the major search engines of the world is a huge loss for the world.  My briefcase also suffered major casualties, but at least some of it is present.

The files attached to my articles are gone, the "authors" link is gone, view of replies to find previous posts to refer to others is almost useless and the site isn't friendly at all any more.  The only problem I see that's been addressed from my list during testing is the code window.  This itself is huge, but at what cost? I don't think making the site look better on a phone is worth it.

Is rolling back the change to the previous layout, which was years ahead of its time and still unusually usable and unique in the world, an option?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Ed Wagner.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,241 through 63,255 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply