Are the posted questions getting worse?

• +1 googolplex to the thought of "rolling back" .  Of course, there' less that 1/googolplex  chance of that happening.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• The nice thing tho is that the "oops" page you land on from a google search includes a search box itself, then putting the same search term in gets you some articles. Also once the site settles down Google will respider the site and should get some articles linked again hopefully.

• We are working on issues. A number of the ones reported were known, but lower priority for the launch. Apologies, but we had to make a decision on which items were needed and which could wait.

Some of the redirection issues are known, some are new. People are working through them as quick as they can and they will get fixed. It takes a bit of time to identify all the edge cases and get them working. These were difficult to test, so a few were unexpected. Same with search. These will get re-spidered and we've set up the appropriate submissions and responses for Google and others to do so.

• x wrote:

The nice thing tho is that the “oops” page you land on from a google search includes a search box itself, then putting the same search term in gets you some articles. Also once the site settles down Google will respider the site and should get some articles linked again hopefully.

That's probably not going to help anyone that has hardcoded links in their articles, post, or personal cache of favorites.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

We are working on issues. A number of the ones reported were known, but lower priority for the launch. Apologies, but we had to make a decision on which items were needed and which could wait. Some of the redirection issues are known, some are new. People are working through them as quick as they can and they will get fixed. It takes a bit of time to identify all the edge cases and get them working. These were difficult to test, so a few were unexpected. Same with search. These will get re-spidered and we’ve set up the appropriate submissions and responses for Google and others to do so.

What will be the end result that have links added to their "favorites" or have links embedded in articles or posts?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• We are looking to fix all redirects. If you have specific ones that aren't working, please start a thread here: website issues

• Shifting gears a bit...

While I don't personally care for what has been done to the site or the fact that it was released knowing that certain functionality wouldn't be immediately available, I got a LinkedIn message totally out of the blue this morning that reminds me of why we're all here.  Things may change but the community that has developed largely because of this site is totally awesome especially when it comes to helping people and some incredible innovation in the world of databases and data.  I'm glad to be in such great company.

As we used to say in the submarine service... "Damn the pressure and damn the heat.  Increase your depth.  We won't be beat". 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Something new I just noticed is that the profile page isn't found.  Click your name and then profile.  It comes up with the "Oops!" page saying that the page cannot be found.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Shifting gears a bit... While I don't personally care for what has been done to the site or the fact that it was released knowing that certain functionality wouldn't be immediately available, I got a LinkedIn message totally out of the blue this morning that reminds me of why we're all here.  Things may change but the community that has developed largely because of this site is totally awesome especially when it comes to helping people and some incredible innovation in the world of databases and data.  I'm glad to be in such great company. As we used to say in the submarine service... "Damn the pressure and damn the heat.  Increase your depth.  We won't be beat". 😀

Amen!  This is one awesome community and I think it's contributed significantly to the global SQL Server community as a whole.  The good folks on this community have done wonders for me personally.  Beyond learning a whole lot, I've actually made some friends.  The real growth, learning and some real innovations have come out in the discussions.

Stack Overflow doesn't allow such discussions.  I've only posted one thing on SO in my life.  Someone had a question and a reply with an MTVF was posted.  I pointed out that it may not perform very well, explained why and posted an ITVF.  It was flagged as being too long and removed.  Fair enough - I haven't bothered them with any detail or long text in years.

Please, don't ever discourage discussion on this site.

• If you go up to your name in the navigation bar, you can get to your profile.  When I did that, what I found was that the site emails (PM messages) seem to be missing.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

If you go up to your name in the navigation bar, you can get to your profile.  When I did that, what I found was that the site emails (PM messages) seem to be missing.

This might be some error because I was able to access my profile previously, but now I keep getting the 404 page.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

If you go up to your name in the navigation bar, you can get to your profile.  When I did that, what I found was that the site emails (PM messages) seem to be missing.

This might be some error because I was able to access my profile previously, but now I keep getting the 404 page.

Yup.  That's the same for me. I know it used to work, but not any more.

• Ed Wagner wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

I was able to view my messages. Just clicked my name to open up the dropdown, clicked Profile. When that page loaded there is a Messages link on the left and I found what I remember of my most recent ones.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Ed Wagner wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

I was able to view my messages. Just clicked my name to open up the dropdown, clicked Profile. When that page loaded there is a Messages link on the left and I found what I remember of my most recent ones.

It looks like profiles work again as do the PM messages.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

It looks like profiles work again as do the PM messages.

Sorry folks - some rewrite rule badness happened. Should be fixed now (along with followers / following which also had some semi-related issues).

Viewing 15 posts - 63,256 through 63,270 (of 66,536 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply