Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Thanks to everyone that did some testing on the new site. We're hoping to cut this week, but a couple of small, but rather important bugs to work through still.

If you have more feedback, keep it coming.

Thanks, Steve... my apologies that I've not been able to partake in any testing on this latest round.  I've been head down into a hurricane this last week and I'll try to get some testing in tonight.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Thanks to everyone that did some testing on the new site. We're hoping to cut this week, but a couple of small, but rather important bugs to work through still.

Really hopeful the SQL formatting gets fixed before release. looks like it works for some, but is dreadful for me (although I've barely been active of late not being able to provide formatted SQL on a site specifically for SQL would be a complete killer. it's not easy on the current site, but can be achieved, where as it's impossible on the new one).

Article creation isn't too bad. I found that pasting from word wasn't as good, as formatting is lost, however, applying formatting in the editor was easier. Just means you have to paste in chunks if the article contains code; as the site is "kind" enough to remove white space for you. :pinch:

Being able to preview the before submission is a very welcome addition though, as you can make sure that the editor and the actual way it is displayed is similar (especially when things like formatting can be so important).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:45 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:02 AM

Really hopeful the SQL formatting gets fixed before release. looks like it works for some, but is dreadful for me (although I've barely been active of late not being able to provide formatted SQL on a site specifically for SQL would be a complete killer. it's not easy on the current site, but can be achieved, where as it's impossible on the new one).

Article creation isn't too bad. I found that pasting from word wasn't as good, as formatting is lost, however, applying formatting in the editor was easier. Just means you have to paste in chunks if the article contains code; as the site is "kind" enough to remove white space for you. :pinch:

Being able to preview the before submission is a very welcome addition though, as you can make sure that the editor and the actual way it is displayed is similar (especially when things like formatting can be so important).

+10^1000
    😎
    First thing to note would be the preservation of spaces within code and plain text blocks, simple thing like "pre"!

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:58 AM

Thom A - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:45 AM

+10^1000
    😎
    First thing to note would be the preservation of spaces within code and plain text blocks, simple thing like "pre"!

Good lord... we're still fighting that?  To Eirikur's point, that seems like one of the simplest things to fix.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, March 25, 2019 10:45 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:58 AM

Thom A - Monday, March 25, 2019 9:45 AM

+10^1000
    😎

Good lord... we're still fighting that?  To Eirikur's point, that seems like one of the simplest things to fix.

I'll be happy if it doesn't randomly jump my cursor around when quoting text.......

• ZZartin - Monday, March 25, 2019 10:54 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, March 25, 2019 10:45 AM

I'll be happy if it doesn't randomly jump my cursor around when quoting text.......

Being more positive, the website feels lot better on mobile, which I'm actually a common user on. I haven't tried posting from mobile, however, it dose feel easier to navigate compared to before, especially the forums. Site feels more minimalistic, but I'm not saying that's actually a bad thing; it certainly feel more "modern" to me. I think if SSC to chose to downsize the number of forums categories there are, that'll actually be a welcome change as well (especially as users appear to simply post in which ever is the first one they find).

Hopefully the positives will outweigh to negatives we have.

As a quick side question, is there a time limit on how long we have to edit a post now? I've noticed that the edit button on my posts disappear after a little while on the new site.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:23 PM

Apparently, even on Facebook, developers still store passwords as plain text. Facebook claims that there was no security breach and the problem is corrected, but I really wonder  when will these kind of news will stop. Schools need to give a better focus on security during their programming courses. The problem is that most of the times, teachers don't have any idea on how to enforce security measures.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/
    Facebook response:
    https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/03/keeping-passwords-secure/

I don't understand why anyone does this.  All my assorted passwords are held in a password safe encrypted using a key of more than 175 characters, and I exoect the systems that I access using those passwords do not hold them in plain text or in any form from which the password can easily be determined..  On the rare occassions when I discover that someone's software knows my password  I regard that software as dangerously insecure. 
    When I was providing a secure interface to various products I spent time creating obscure hash functions which were guaranteed to run slowly enough to prevent brute force attacks (which of course required  the ability to cause the hashes to need more cycles as hardware got faster, in other words increasing complexity of the hash was needed to counter  the hardware speed up.)

Tom

• Thom A - Monday, March 25, 2019 11:05 AM

ZZartin - Monday, March 25, 2019 10:54 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, March 25, 2019 10:45 AM

Being more positive, the website feels lot better on mobile, which I'm actually a common user on. I haven't tried posting from mobile, however, it dose feel easier to navigate compared to before, especially the forums. Site feels more minimalistic, but I'm not saying that's actually a bad thing; it certainly feel more "modern" to me. I think if SSC to chose to downsize the number of forums categories there are, that'll actually be a welcome change as well (especially as users appear to simply post in which ever is the first one they find).

Hopefully the positives will outweigh to negatives we have.

As a quick side question, is there a time limit on how long we have to edit a post now? I've noticed that the edit button on my posts disappear after a little while on the new site.

To be honest, if laptop/desktop access continues to have the same problem as we have had since the last "improvement" several years back through the present day, I don't actually care if mobile burns in place.  To be equally honest, I've not seen another website that has so many problems with the simple act of posting code or pasting a picture.  It's just nuts.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• FYI: Barring any major issues, we will release v3 of this site on Mar 30, 2019, early in the morning, UTC time. There will be an hour of downtime around 9-10am UTC.

If you experience any issues or data loss, please post a note in the Website Issues forum or contact the webmaster (webmaster@ this domain).

We hope you enjoy the new version of the site.

• Not sure about the Edit box, Thom. We can likely tweak that later, but it's a minor issue.

Code pasting should be fine from SSMS/VS/ADS, at least on multiple machines I've tested. No need to add tags, just highlight and hit the large code button.

• Happy birthday to me, get a new SSC, plumber fixed my busted pipes at the lake house within 12 hours of finding them and I get to go play at the science museum later with my six year old! I should just quit while I'm ahead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, March 29, 2019 11:44 AM

Happy birthday to me, get a new SSC, plumber fixed my busted pipes at the lake house within 12 hours of finding them and I get to go play at the science museum later with my six year old! I should just quit while I'm ahead.

Happy birthday!!!

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Happy birthday Jonathan!

• Happy Birthday, Jonathan!

And the Thread appears alive.

• Honestly, pasting from SSMS wasn't working at all for me. Here's hoping it is now:

WITH N AS(
    SELECT 1 AS I
    UNION ALL
    SELECT 2)
    SELECT I
    FROM N;

Edit: Hazzah!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 63,226 through 63,240 (of 66,571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply