Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Out of interest, has anyone tried setting up LDAP authentication on SQL Server 2019 Preview yet? No documentation on it, so not sure where to start. Was hoping is might have been as simple as configuring LDAP authentication on the host, and then running a command like:
    CREATE LOGIN LDAPUser FROM LDAP;
    CREATE LOGIN LDAPUser FROM OPENLDAP;

Neither of these, however, worked. I suspect it wants you to continue on to set up Kerberos, etc, but one could hope it was just OpenLDAP.

Not asking for a guide to be posted here, just wondering if anyone has had any luck. Perhaps if they have, then that would be a good article for the future though. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Haven't tried so far. Talked to someone at the PASS Summit and they noted this is not very easy to do, so I've stayed away. I have enough rabbit holes and don't need to step in another one.

An article would be great.  Actually, anything that you've solved with Linux, even easy stuff, would be good. People seem scared, but I learn more and more towards putting SQL on Linux first if I don't need the AD auth.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:54 AM

Haven't tried so far. Talked to someone at the PASS Summit and they noted this is not very easy to do, so I've stayed away. I have enough rabbit holes and don't need to step in another one.

An article would be great.  Actually, anything that you've solved with Linux, even easy stuff, would be good. People seem scared, but I learn more and more towards putting SQL on Linux first if I don't need the AD auth.

I've got some time off work in a couple weeks, so I'll see how I get on then (I enjoy little home projects like this). I suspect I'm going to be spending a lot of time setting up an OpenLDAP, Kerboros and Domain Controller host, and very little time on SQL Server. Honestly, though, if that's the route I need to take, I agree that I'd rather no have to do it.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• I probably need to do that as well, but I've been waiting for someone (like you) to write about it. Not really at a place where I can spare a lot of detective time.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:33 AM

Not sure what happened, but I don't see a draft in the system. We get submissions all the time and I haven't seen any concerns come through the webmaster, but I create questions regularly and it seems to work well. If anyone has issues, ping the webmaster.

We're a few weeks from a new system, so this may be moot.

K.  I'll try again.  This time, I'll save the write up, answers, etc, locally, just in case it happens again.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Has anyone used Service Now, specifically the project management module?
    We are looking for something to replace the current method of post-it notes, spreadsheets, and emails to track projects.
    We already use Service Now for tickets.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:40 AM

Has anyone used Service Now, specifically the project management module?
    We are looking for something to replace the current method of post-it notes, spreadsheets, and emails to track projects.

If their project management components are ads bad as their ticket components I would not want it.  We use service now for ticketing and tasks but we use Jira for a lot of project tracking and that works pretty good actually, keeps track of documents, tasks, notes etc....

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:09 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 8:33 AM

Not sure what happened, but I don't see a draft in the system. We get submissions all the time and I haven't seen any concerns come through the webmaster, but I create questions regularly and it seems to work well. If anyone has issues, ping the webmaster.

We're a few weeks from a new system, so this may be moot.

K.  I'll try again.  This time, I'll save the write up, answers, etc, locally, just in case it happens again.

I'm pretty sure I tried to save a script today. I went back in and all my changes were lost.

• ZZartin - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:56 AM

Michael L John - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:40 AM

Has anyone used Service Now, specifically the project management module?

If their project management components are ads bad as their ticket components I would not want it.  We use service now for ticketing and tasks but we use Jira for a lot of project tracking and that works pretty good actually, keeps track of documents, tasks, notes etc....

We've just moved off ServiceNow and compared to what we have now, it was amazing.  Come to that, compared to what we had before it was amazing.  I'd say it's as much because the predecessor and the replacement are spectacularly shite rather than ServiceNow being particularly good.  However, I liked it and found it pretty straightforward to use.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• ZZartin - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:56 AM

Maybe folks just don't know how to use it, but some other teams here use Jira and are not fans. they tell me it gets the job done, but they don't like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, March 15, 2019 9:21 AM

ZZartin - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:56 AM

Maybe folks just don't know how to use it, but some other teams here use Jira and are not fans. they tell me it gets the job done, but they don't like it.

The ticketing, to me, is far more cumbersome than it needs to be.  What was semi-important was the potential integration.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• We're going to open up our qa site for more testing next week. I think we're close, but need other eyes.

Those of you that tried last  time, thanks  and we'd love for you to go again. Others, if you have time Mon/Tue/Wed, be great to get some thoughts. I'll post links and user/pwd for access next week when we get a fresh migration of data moving.

Have a great weekend

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 15, 2019 10:47 AM

We're going to open up our qa site for more testing next week. I think we're close, but need other eyes.

Those of you that tried last  time, thanks  and we'd love for you to go again. Others, if you have time Mon/Tue/Wed, be great to get some thoughts. I'll post links and user/pwd for access next week when we get a fresh migration of data moving.

Have a great weekend

Look forward to it steve!

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 15, 2019 10:47 AM

We're going to open up our qa site for more testing next week. I think we're close, but need other eyes.

Have a great weekend

Did they fix all of the stuff I cited on the first go around?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• jonathan.crawford - Friday, March 15, 2019 9:21 AM

ZZartin - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:56 AM

My wife's company uses Jira for tickets and release scheduling, they like it. She is actually a big fan.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 63,181 through 63,195 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply