Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Friday, March 1, 2019 11:01 AM

Had quite the scare this morning about 3:45. The dog suddenly started barking and the ring doorbell notification went off on our phones. My wife looked at the video without her glasses on and told me there were two people on our front porch. I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes. There an SUV parked in the street at the bottom of our driveway with the lights on but I didn't see anybody. My first thought was they were breaking in the back door or into the garage where my woodshop is.

I started towards the garage and noticed the overhead lights were on in the garage. My brain decided the potential thieves turned on the overhead so they could see in the garage. I opened the door but there was nobody around. I walked to the garage door and stuck my head around the back of the minivan and could see the suv in the street. I still didn't see any people. I went back in the house, closed the garage doors and shut off the overhead light. Then I went to the front door and turned on the outside lights. As soon as I did that the suv drove away fairly quickly.

I called 911 and explained the whole situation. Within a few seconds he told me the suv was an officer and he would back to my door and asked if I would meet them. By this time my heart was going about a million miles an hour. About 30 seconds later they stopped across the street and walked up into the front yard. I let them in the door and they explained they noticed my garage was open and they were investigating because there has been a rash of thefts in our neighborhood lately. Even as brave as stealing cars out of the garage. I am grateful they investigated but damn that was a scary thing in the middle of the night.

Scary. And maybe a little stupid of the policeman, walking into someone's property. Still, good to know it was no big deal.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Beatrix Kiddo - Monday, March 4, 2019 5:03 AM

Sorry for your loss, Jeff. What a tough time many people are having right now.

Thanks Beatrix.  Things like this do "test the metal" one is made of.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Grant Fritchey - Monday, March 4, 2019 6:02 AM

Sean Lange - Friday, March 1, 2019 11:01 AM

Had quite the scare this morning about 3:45. The dog suddenly started barking and the ring doorbell notification went off on our phones. My wife looked at the video without her glasses on and told me there were two people on our front porch. I jumped out of bed and threw on some clothes. There an SUV parked in the street at the bottom of our driveway with the lights on but I didn't see anybody. My first thought was they were breaking in the back door or into the garage where my woodshop is.

I started towards the garage and noticed the overhead lights were on in the garage. My brain decided the potential thieves turned on the overhead so they could see in the garage. I opened the door but there was nobody around. I walked to the garage door and stuck my head around the back of the minivan and could see the suv in the street. I still didn't see any people. I went back in the house, closed the garage doors and shut off the overhead light. Then I went to the front door and turned on the outside lights. As soon as I did that the suv drove away fairly quickly.

I called 911 and explained the whole situation. Within a few seconds he told me the suv was an officer and he would back to my door and asked if I would meet them. By this time my heart was going about a million miles an hour. About 30 seconds later they stopped across the street and walked up into the front yard. I let them in the door and they explained they noticed my garage was open and they were investigating because there has been a rash of thefts in our neighborhood lately. Even as brave as stealing cars out of the garage. I am grateful they investigated but damn that was a scary thing in the middle of the night.

Scary. And maybe a little stupid of the policeman, walking into someone's property. Still, good to know it was no big deal.

No kidding. I was a bit irritated that the left once they saw activity in the house. Even though it made sense that the garage door closed and the outside lights got turned on. They should have come back to the door to make sure it wasn't thieves that are now inside the house. I made a call to the captain this weekend and expressed that they should not have left at that point. But also expressed my gratitude that they are looking out for people. Of course the second office was ready to rumble. He had on a full kevlar vest loaded with ammo. Pretty damned intimidating in the entry way of your house at 4am.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• nice day in the office today.
    Change pushed through after being delayed for weeks. And we are getting permission issues. For permissions that appear to have been set.
    Had a meeting about an app / db I've had little to do with, and then came out of the meeting with no tasks to do. Some would say that's a good meeting!
    Support then have an issue with said app / db and because I've been in the meeting I've the obvious choice to look at it. Um. OK. The code and sql made my 
    Work I had pencilled into for today, percent complete zero. Obviously.
    I did send colleague the link to Itzik Ben Gans session at Bits last week and he has already changed a merge statement he was working on based on the content.
    he's now watching the keynote 🙂

Rodders...

• rodjkidd - Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:43 AM

nice day in the office today.
    Change pushed through after being delayed for weeks. And we are getting permission issues. For permissions that appear to have been set.
    Had a meeting about an app / db I've had little to do with, and then came out of the meeting with no tasks to do. Some would say that's a good meeting!
    Support then have an issue with said app / db and because I've been in the meeting I've the obvious choice to look at it. Um. OK. The code and sql made my 
    Work I had pencilled into for today, percent complete zero. Obviously.
    I did send colleague the link to Itzik Ben Gans session at Bits last week and he has already changed a merge statement he was working on based on the content.
    he's now watching the keynote 🙂

Rodders...

Could you please share the link.  I have a colleague or 2 that could benefit from it

• Sorry should have said you can follow the links via the schedule for last week
    but
    SQL Bits - Main

SQL Bits - Friday

SQL Bits - Saturday

Itzik's session

They are uploading the recordings in double fast time. They used a new AV company and it was noticeable while there that there was an improvement. But added bonus of the recordings appearing quickly. I don't think they have finished uploading them yet. Also the MS 'chalk and talk' style sessions weren't recorded. I'm not 100 percent but I not sure if the 3 real rooms were actually wired for recording! They were Knuckles, Snake Eyes (I think) and I don't know the name of the third.

Rodders...

• rodjkidd - Thursday, March 7, 2019 10:14 AM

Sorry should have said you can follow the links via the schedule for last week
    but
    SQL Bits - Main

SQL Bits - Friday

SQL Bits - Saturday

Itzik's session

They are uploading the recordings in double fast time. They used a new AV company and it was noticeable while there that there was an improvement. But added bonus of the recordings appearing quickly. I don't think they have finished uploading them yet. Also the MS 'chalk and talk' style sessions weren't recorded. I'm not 100 percent but I not sure if the 3 real rooms were actually wired for recording! They were Knuckles, Snake Eyes (I think) and I don't know the name of the third.

Rodders...

Thank you

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, March 1, 2019 11:28 AM

Hey, Tom. Does this help out with your situation? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47412708 IE, the two residences you have?

It will probaly help.  I've had an NIE (National Indenty for Foreigner) since 2005, registered as a resident in Dec 2012 when it became a requirement for banking in Spain, so am a a permanent resident since Dec 2017 (the EU wants to scrap that after the Brexit transition period; if Spain refuses to scrap it I won't have a problem), and have a Hoja Padronal since 1 Feb 2016 and an empadronamiento certificate since 2 Feb 2016, and the government of the Canaries Autonomous Community has asserted that in will allow people who have those to keep them unless the National Government both wants to prevent Autonomous Communities from determinig those and manages to get the constitutional court to say that the national government is allowed to assume the power to do that (however, they wouldn't apparently be able to preserve my 75% discount on airline tickets between Canaries and Spanish Mainland, because it's the national government that funds that discount for Canaries residents).  Anyway, it will be interesting to see whether May is willing to offer Spain a quid pro quo on this and allow Spanish residents in Britain to stay there - if she won't,  that may mean that Spain won't allow Brits to remain unless they are fiscally resident as will as physically.

Tom

• TomThomson - Friday, March 8, 2019 2:47 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, March 1, 2019 11:28 AM

Hey, Tom. Does this help out with your situation? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47412708 IE, the two residences you have?

It will probaly help.  I've had an NIE (National Indenty for Foreigner) since 2005, registered as a resident in Dec 2012 when it became a requirement for banking in Spain, so am a a permanent resident since Dec 2017 (the EU wants to scrap that after the Brexit transition period; if Spain refuses to scrap it I won't have a problem), and have a Hoja Padronal since 1 Feb 2016 and an empadronamiento certificate since 2 Feb 2016, and the government of the Canaries Autonomous Community has asserted that in will allow people who have those to keep them unless the National Government both wants to prevent Autonomous Communities from determinig those and manages to get the constitutional court to say that the national government is allowed to assume the power to do that (however, they wouldn't apparently be able to preserve my 75% discount on airline tickets between Canaries and Spanish Mainland, because it's the national government that funds that discount for Canaries residents).  Anyway, it will be interesting to see whether May is willing to offer Spain a quid pro quo on this and allow Spanish residents in Britain to stay there - if she won't,  that may mean that Spain won't allow Brits to remain unless they are fiscally resident as will as physically.

Good luck Tom, shameful that you're caught up in this blithering idiocy while dealing with real life issues.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• If any of you are interested, we'd love some new articles on solving any of the T-SQL issues you've answered in the forums. We're a little short of content and are trying to get some new items written.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:04 PM

If any of you are interested, we'd love some new articles on solving any of the T-SQL issues you've answered in the forums. We're a little short of content and are trying to get some new items written.

To try to get back into the habit of writing, I tried to create a pretty interesting QOD the other day.  I had just a couple of tweeks to make but I got interrupted and so saved it as a draft with the "Save As Draft" button and closed the window.  The draft is nowhere to be found now.  The question was titled "Index Oolie".

Having the question disappear after saving it as a draft isn't real encouraging.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:00 PM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:04 PM

If any of you are interested, we'd love some new articles on solving any of the T-SQL issues you've answered in the forums. We're a little short of content and are trying to get some new items written.

To try to get back into the habit of writing, I tried to create a pretty interesting QOD the other day.  I had just a couple of tweeks to make but I got interrupted and so saved it as a draft with the "Save As Draft" button and closed the window.  The draft is nowhere to be found now.  The question was titled "Index Oolie".

Having the question disappear after saving it as a draft isn't real encouraging.

Well make that your QOD

Q. I saved my QOD as a draft and now cannot find it. What is my best option?

A. Recover the file from a backup.
    B. See the System Administrator.
    C. Ask the Gremlin to return it.
    D. The file is lost you will have to start again.

😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:00 PM

Well make that your QOD

😛

Sounds like a QOD for St Paddy's Day

• DesNorton - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:45 AM

David Burrows - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:07 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:00 PM

Well make that your QOD

😛

Sounds like a QOD for St Paddy's Day

E: Run DBCC TIMEWARP @Option = 'QOD'

😛

• Not sure what happened, but I don't see a draft in the system. We get submissions all the time and I haven't seen any concerns come through the webmaster, but I create questions regularly and it seems to work well. If anyone has issues, ping the webmaster.

We're a few weeks from a new system, so this may be moot.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,166 through 63,180 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply