Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:29 AM

jonathan.crawford - Friday, March 15, 2019 9:21 AM

ZZartin - Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:56 AM

If their project management components are ads bad as their ticket components I would not want it.  We use service now for ticketing and tasks but we use Jira for a lot of project tracking and that works pretty good actually, keeps track of documents, tasks, notes etc....

Maybe folks just don't know how to use it, but some other teams here use Jira and are not fans. they tell me it gets the job done, but they don't like it.

My wife's company uses Jira for tickets and release scheduling, they like it. She is actually a big fan.

The negative about Jira for us is that it's geared towards a development group.  My group is not developers, it's networking/OS/infrastructure.  I'm kind of the odd-ball in the group because I have to straddle this group, as well as developers , BI / Reporting, and so forth.  
    I have used Jira in the past, it works very well for bug tracking and software issues.  It didn't work so well for things like building a new server, or decommissioning an old server.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Sean Lange - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:29 AM

If their project management components are ads bad as their ticket components I would not want it.  We use service now for ticketing and tasks but we use Jira for a lot of project tracking and that works pretty good actually, keeps track of documents, tasks, notes etc....

Maybe folks just don't know how to use it, but some other teams here use Jira and are not fans. they tell me it gets the job done, but they don't like it.

My wife's company uses Jira for tickets and release scheduling, they like it. She is actually a big fan.

We use it for both, I'd say I'm a big fan over what I've had to use in the past.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:38 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, March 18, 2019 7:29 AM

We use it for both, I'd say I'm a big fan over what I've had to use in the past.

Used Jira in the passed, thinking of starting again for my communication with the Missus 😀
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 18, 2019 9:16 AM

below86 - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:38 AM

Used Jira in the passed, thinking of starting again for my communication with the Missus 😀
    😎

LOL!
    This is fighting talk EE - it will end in tears - yours!!

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Monday, March 18, 2019 9:23 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, March 18, 2019 9:16 AM

😎

LOL!
    This is fighting talk EE - it will end in tears - yours!!

Heh - I wouldn't rule out pain either. 😛

• Alright, we are looking for people to test the new version. If you have time, please take a few minutes at qa.sqlservercentral.com. 

User: ssc
    Pwd: ssc2018

Normal userid and pwd to log in. If that doesn't work, let us know.

Try out different parts of the site. A new migration ran today with changes as of early Mon morning. We trap emails other than those that tested before and were whitelisted If you want to get emails, drop me an email or pm with your registered email. 

Post issues at https://bit.ly/2UIMGkG

Thanks for your help. If you want to submit test articles or questions or scripts, do so. I'll try to watch for these, but I'm at MVP Summit this week and a little disconnected.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, March 18, 2019 10:38 PM

Alright, we are looking for people to test the new version. If you have time, please take a few minutes at qa.sqlservercentral.com. 

User: ssc
    Pwd: ssc2018

Normal userid and pwd to log in. If that doesn't work, let us know.

Try out different parts of the site. A new migration ran today with changes as of early Mon morning. We trap emails other than those that tested before and were whitelisted If you want to get emails, drop me an email or pm with your registered email. 

Post issues at https://bit.ly/2UIMGkG

Thanks for your help. If you want to submit test articles or questions or scripts, do so. I'll try to watch for these, but I'm at MVP Summit this week and a little disconnected.

Thanks Steve. I actually submitted an article yesterday, so thought I'd see if the process was easier on the new site, but I get an error "Sorry, you are not allowed to create posts as this user." and if i try to get edit an old one i get "Sorry, you are not allowed to edit this item." Not sure if that's intentional or not though; if so I'll log as a bug but wasn't sure if the feature was turned off for some of us.

Hmm, pasting of code is worse than it is here; I didn't think it could get worse... 🙁

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• below86 - Monday, March 18, 2019 8:38 AM

What have you used in the past?

There's talk at work of shifting to Jira.  We shifted a couple of times (and I don't remember all the names but we're currently using "Mantis").  It's a real pain each and every time and a lot of history is lost because migration is usually lacking in one area or another.  The pain usually isn't worth it, IMHO... my observation is that you just end up trading one set of problems for another and there's no real gain.  There's usually no way (never mind "easily") to tap into the time keeping system to auto-magically get the correct account names that should be associated with a ticket.

Someday, someone will actually do it right for both ticketing and time keeping (seriously??? I have to calculate to the nearest 1/4 hour in this day and age???).  And, no... I've used TFS in the past and that doesn't work out so well either.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:25 AM

There's talk at work of shifting to Jira.  We shifted a couple of times (and I don't remember all the names but we're currently using "Mantis").  It's a real pain each and every time and a lot of history is lost because migration is usually lacking in one area or another.  The pain usually isn't worth it, IMHO... my observation is that you just end up trading one set of problems for another and there's no real gain.  There's usually no way (never mind "easily") to tap into the time keeping system to auto-magically get the correct account names that should be associated with a ticket.

Someday, someone will actually do it right for both ticketing and time keeping (seriously??? I have to calculate to the nearest 1/4 hour in this day and age???).  And, no... I've used TFS in the past and that doesn't work out so well either.

A lot of different 'home grown' applications, one was in Lotus Notes, I really don't remember the names now .  I like the ease of Jira, I can enter another ticket number in a comment and it creates the link.  We use Bit Bucket and I can create a branch within a ticket and it keeps track in the ticket of commits and merges(as long as you put the ticket number in the commit)

• below86 - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:43 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:25 AM

A lot of different 'home grown' applications, one was in Lotus Notes, I really don't remember the names now .  I like the ease of Jira, I can enter another ticket number in a comment and it creates the link.  We use Bit Bucket and I can create a branch within a ticket and it keeps track in the ticket of commits and merges(as long as you put the ticket number in the commit)

Mantis (the thing we're currently using) allows for all sorts of associations of tickets.  A ticket can be a parent of other tickets, a child of a ticket, just "related" to another ticket, etc, etc.  It's also easy to include a link to another ticket in the text of (for example) the description of the ticket and just about any other place (addition information, steps to reproduce, etc, etc) that clear text may be entered.  The cool part is that it also uses an SQL Server database behind the scenes so custom reporting and searching is easy.  You can also modify the code for it because the source code is provided.  AND you can also add working links to files, add attachments of just about any kind, AND it's FREE.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:52 AM

below86 - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:43 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:25 AM

Mantis (the thing we're currently using) allows for all sorts of associations of tickets.  A ticket can be a parent of other tickets, a child of a ticket, just "related" to another ticket, etc, etc.  It's also easy to include a link to another ticket in the text of (for example) the description of the ticket and just about any other place (addition information, steps to reproduce, etc, etc) that clear text may be entered.  The cool part is that it also uses an SQL Server database behind the scenes so custom reporting and searching is easy.  You can also modify the code for it because the source code is provided.  AND you can also add working links to files, add attachments of just about any kind, AND it's FREE.

That sounds kind of cool. Like the idea of being able to write some SQL to create some custom reports or search.

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, March 19, 2019 7:52 AM

You had me at "FREE"...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Had an interesting one the other day.  Client had a corrupt database and had broken the log chain by setting DB to SIMPLE and then back to FULL so had to run DBCC CHECKDB REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS.  Then a couple of days later had issues with log backups not working and the log_reuse_wait_desc being REPLICATION.  Replication components weren't even installed on the server.  Turns out when you do REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS weird things like this can happen.  Had to install replication components and create and delete a publication on the database to fix the issue.  Always fun.  Couple of blog posts out there about this happening.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/nebraska-sql-from-dba_andy/2017/06/21/9003-is-a-scary-number/
    https://blog.dbi-services.com/sql-server-database-failed-to-generate-a-checkpoint/

• Apparently, even on Facebook, developers still store passwords as plain text. Facebook claims that there was no security breach and the problem is corrected, but I really wonder  when will these kind of news will stop. Schools need to give a better focus on security during their programming courses. The problem is that most of the times, teachers don't have any idea on how to enforce security measures.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/
    Facebook response:
    https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/03/keeping-passwords-secure/

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:23 PM

Apparently, even on Facebook, developers still store passwords as plain text. Facebook claims that there was no security breach and the problem is corrected, but I really wonder  when will these kind of news will stop. Schools need to give a better focus on security during their programming courses. The problem is that most of the times, teachers don't have any idea on how to enforce security measures.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/03/facebook-stored-hundreds-of-millions-of-user-passwords-in-plain-text-for-years/
    Facebook response:
    https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/03/keeping-passwords-secure/

I'm not sure what you mean by "even on Facebook", I basically expect Facebook to make the worst possible decision at any particular point in time, at least as it relates to user security. And yes, but schools just need to focus on security at all, not do a "better" job. I don't recall talking about it at all, except for the one obligatory "little Bobby Tables" joke in a SQL class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 15 posts - 63,196 through 63,210 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply