Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner - Monday, February 11, 2019 10:41 AM

First of all, I agree with you - I think Stack Overflow did nothing wrong.  Participants know they're up for an Amazon gift card, it's reasonable to conclude that Amazon would provide it.  If they don't want Amazon to provide it, don't participate.

However, I don't know that phrases like "okay", "all reasonable" or "normal process" really apply here.  This is about law and bureaucracy, so common sense does not necessarily apply.  The intent of any law is far too often much different than the implementation of it.  I, too, will be watching with great interest to see how it plays out.

You're right. Common sense does not apply when talking about privacy. People are so concerned about their privacy but keep using smartphones, Google or Bing, free apps, social networks, fill out surveys offering rewards, request credit cards with perks based on specific usage, etc.
    We need to understand that privacy is a luxury paid with convenience. Most people are not willing to give their convenience but still demand their privacy.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy and good wishes.

Tom

• Testers needed

OK, we're getting close on the new site, and I know a bunch of you want to test forums. Send me a note (PM or email sjones at this domain) and I'll add you to the whitelist. We need some whitelisted people as we're trapping emails leaving to be sure we don't bombard users with test messages.

Our hope is to test this weekend and next week and work through bugs. There has been a lot of testing internally, including a bug hunt at RG, so I hope things are working fairly well at this point.

Thanks in advance

• I guess it is my turn.

I received a call this morning (2019-02-15) at approximately 12:50 AM MDT from Springs Village where my dad was in rehab.  He passed away at approximately 12:30 AM.  I had hoped we would have had more time to prepare for this, but God had other plans.  I am actually happy that he passed quietly in his sleep and didn't linger or suffer.  He is now with his beloved wife and my mother.

It is a difficult time and I am actually at a loss right now know what I need to do.  I do know that I will be doing much of the heavy lifting over the next several days getting things started before my brother is able to get up here from San Antonia.  I think that is a blessing in disguise as I don't think he will be of much help as it is as the stress of this event is already triggering his headaches from the TBI he suffered years ago.  He will probably be under the influence of medications when he gets here.

Not sure how I will get through this either but I know I must.  The days to come will be tough, but I know God is with me.  Hebrews 13:5: Be content with such things as you have for he himself has said "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, February 15, 2019 4:16 AM

I guess it is my turn.

I received a call this morning (2019-02-15) at approximately 12:50 AM MDT from Springs Village where my dad was in rehab.  He passed away at approximately 12:30 AM.  I had hoped we would have had more time to prepare for this, but God had other plans.  I am actually happy that he passed quietly in his sleep and didn't linger or suffer.  He is now with his beloved wife and my mother.

It is a difficult time and I am actually at a loss right now know what I need to do.  I do know that I will be doing much of the heavy lifting over the next several days getting things started before my brother is able to get up here from San Antonia.  I think that is a blessing in disguise as I don't think he will be of much help as it is as the stress of this event is already triggering his headaches from the TBI he suffered years ago.  He will probably be under the influence of medications when he gets here.

Not sure how I will get through this either but I know I must.  The days to come will be tough, but I know God is with me.  Hebrews 13:5: Be content with such things as you have for he himself has said "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Condolences, a truly sad time :crying:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

I guess it is my turn.

Losing my father to a car accident 24 years ago was and still is the most profound and shocking event of my life. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Lynn.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

I guess it is my turn.

I am sorry to hear that, Lynn. My condolences.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

I guess it is my turn.

I'm very sorry for your loss Lynn.
    Best regards,
    Eirikur

I guess it is my turn.

Lynn,

Sorry to hear about your dad. My condolences to you and your family.

Rodney

I guess it is my turn.

Lynn,

There are no adequate words. I'm sorry for you and your family.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

I guess it is my turn.

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

I guess it is my turn.

I agree with Grant.  There are truly no adequate words when such a thing happens.  Having lost my Dad and about to lose my Mom, I can only say that I know what you're going through.  It's never an easy thing and my thoughts and hopes are with you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

I guess it is my turn.

My condolences, Lynn. I'm very sorry for you. Wish I could come down there and give you a hug.

Keep the good memories close.

I guess it is my turn.

Oh man.  I'm sorry.  Hang in there, my friend.  #SQLFamily

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Lynn, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,106 through 63,120 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply