Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Help, please

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:38 PM

How's that?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:33 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:38 PM

How's that?

There is a lot to learn in Azure if one wants to that.  We'll see how things go, but at least it is a start.  Thanks.

• :crazy:
    I had to reset my windows password today and kept having troubles.  It turns out that the 12-character password that I had entered was TOO LONG.  REALLY!?!  12 characters is too long for a password?

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Friday, January 12, 2018 10:21 AM

:crazy:
    I had to reset my windows password today and kept having troubles.  It turns out that the 12-character password that I had entered was TOO LONG.  REALLY!?!  12 characters is too long for a password?

Drew

Now that's just sad.  In today's environment, I can't believe a system would have a limit that low.  Granted, everything has some sort of limit, but 12 characters seems miserly by anyone's standards.

• drew.allen - Friday, January 12, 2018 10:21 AM

Drew

LOL where I'm at, 12 characters wouldn't meet the minimum length.

• I hate any rules on passwords. I can understand some length limit, but let's get that > 100.

Also, don't break on $[~, etc.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, January 12, 2018 1:06 PM

I hate any rules on passwords. I can understand some length limit, but let's get that > 100.

Also, don't break on $[~, etc.

I just want everyone to agree on what an appropriate security level is.  Is this the site with no password requirements?  Or is this the site that requires the password key pattern to look like a middle finger on the keyboard?

• Ed Wagner - Friday, January 12, 2018 11:44 AM

drew.allen - Friday, January 12, 2018 10:21 AM

Drew

Now that's just sad.  In today's environment, I can't believe a system would have a limit that low.  Granted, everything has some sort of limit, but 12 characters seems miserly by anyone's standards.

I had trouble logging into a web site recently. Finally got their tech support on the phone. Evidently my 15 character password was too much. Set it 12. Nope. Capitalized letters are a problem. What? Fine, whatever. Fixed that. Nope. Special characters? No we don't support those. Fine fixed that too. And finally... Nope. You can't use the letter x either.

12 characters or less, numbers and lower case letters only, but not the letter x.

I would love to have a chat with their data people and their developers. What the heck is wrong with the letter x?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey - Friday, January 12, 2018 1:24 PM

Ed Wagner - Friday, January 12, 2018 11:44 AM

Drew

I had trouble logging into a web site recently. Finally got their tech support on the phone. Evidently my 15 character password was too much. Set it 12. Nope. Capitalized letters are a problem. What? Fine, whatever. Fixed that. Nope. Special characters? No we don't support those. Fine fixed that too. And finally... Nope. You can't use the letter x either.

12 characters or less, numbers and lower case letters only, but not the letter x.

I would love to have a chat with their data people and their developers. What the heck is wrong with the letter x?

Heh... they have no data people or developers.  They apparently only have "hacks". 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Drew

In the old old days, pressing letter X at any time would makes the program quit, or was it letter Q?

• Jeff Moden - Friday, January 12, 2018 3:59 PM

Heh... they have no data people or developers.  They apparently only have "hacks". 😉

Ha! That's good for a thumbs up vote.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Drew

Gosh that sounds like our payroll system. It does not allow any special characters....nothing other than [a-zA-Z0-9] except it MUST contain a single $, # or !. And it must be exactly 8 characters. No more or less. The rules are so stringent it is isn't even remotely secure. WTF????

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Monday, January 15, 2018 10:00 AM

Gosh that sounds like our payroll system. It does not allow any special characters....nothing other than [a-zA-Z0-9] except it MUST contain a single $, # or !. And it must be exactly 8 characters. No more or less. The rules are so stringent it is isn't even remotely secure. WTF????

Sounds like the requirements from a bank for their online site. The only difference is that it should be only numbers and exactly 8 digits. I only had an account with them because it was a company policy to receive my paycheck, but I would never get any of their products.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:56 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, January 15, 2018 10:00 AM

Sounds like the requirements from a bank for their online site. The only difference is that it should be only numbers and exactly 8 digits. I only had an account with them because it was a company policy to receive my paycheck, but I would never get any of their products.

That's completely pathetic, especially for a bank.  The company should be able to direct deposit to any bank.  Sounds like it's time to get a new bank.

Viewing 15 posts - 60,976 through 60,990 (of 66,573 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply