Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ed Wagner - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:34 AM

Luis Cazares - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:56 AM

Sean Lange - Monday, January 15, 2018 10:00 AM

Gosh that sounds like our payroll system. It does not allow any special characters....nothing other than [a-zA-Z0-9] except it MUST contain a single $, # or !. And it must be exactly 8 characters. No more or less. The rules are so stringent it is isn't even remotely secure. WTF????

Sounds like the requirements from a bank for their online site. The only difference is that it should be only numbers and exactly 8 digits. I only had an account with them because it was a company policy to receive my paycheck, but I would never get any of their products.

That's completely pathetic, especially for a bank.  The company should be able to direct deposit to any bank.  Sounds like it's time to get a new bank.

I don't think a company in the UK could  legally do that - the employee designates where his pay is deposited (subject to court orders, and maybe to regulations issued by the Inland Revenue Service), not the company.
    As for security, yes I have an 8 digit account number.  However,  it doesn't help anyone hack into my account.   To do that they need to have possession of my debit card, know my online scheme membership number, have a one-off password construction device programmed to match the security at the bank's end, and know my PIN for my debit card in order to get the device to construct a one-time password (it incorporates a card interface and requires pin input that the card verifies).  I thought that similar leve lof security as operated now by all UK banks, and would be surprised to find poor online banking security anywhere in within the EU or indeed in India or Lebanon (don't know about the rest of the world, haven't spent enough time there).

Tom

• Last year Aussies passed the law which makes it illegal for shops to accept credit card payments without a PIN.

Not sure when this legislation comes to power - this year or the next one.

• Sergiy - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 3:23 PM

Last year Aussies passed the law which makes it illegal for shops to accept credit card payments without a PIN. Not sure when this legislation comes to power - this year or the next one.

How do they expect shops to take credit card payment over the phone? What about shopping online? Isn't typing in the PIN online just as dangerous?

• Online shopping leaves number of traces.

Which can be used in police investigation in case of a fraud.

In Australia till now a stranger could enter a shop, present probably stolen or lost credit card and leave the shop packed to the rafters with no security checks in the process.

Except for the signature, which nobody verifies too thourouly.

Life is quite relaxed over there.

• Sergiy - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:48 PM

Online shopping leaves number of traces.Which can be used in police investigation in case of a fraud.In Australia till now a stranger could enter a shop, present probably stolen or lost credit card and leave the shop packed to the rafters with no security checks in the process. Except for the signature, which nobody verifies too thourouly.Life is quite relaxed over there.

I'll say.  I used to work for a company that used feeds from DoubleClick.Net.  It's amazing that they can trace from the time that you see an ad, through all of the clicks you made to get to the purchase site, the clicks you made on the purchase site, and what your purchase eventually was.  It's actually one of the keys to prove that screen ads worked and what the cost of the ad and the payment to the site the ad was carried by should be.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:50 AM

Sergiy - Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:48 PM

Online shopping leaves number of traces.Which can be used in police investigation in case of a fraud.In Australia till now a stranger could enter a shop, present probably stolen or lost credit card and leave the shop packed to the rafters with no security checks in the process. Except for the signature, which nobody verifies too thourouly.Life is quite relaxed over there.

I'll say.  I used to work for a company that used feeds from DoubleClick.Net.  It's amazing that they can trace from the time that you see an ad, through all of the clicks you made to get to the purchase site, the clicks you made on the purchase site, and what your purchase eventually was.  It's actually one of the keys to prove that screen ads worked and what the cost of the ad and the payment to the site the ad was carried by should be.

Google adwords works much the same. We use it quite extensively at our work. It is scary. We pay some money to show up in the ad section for certain keywords and they can track it all the way through the completed transaction. Truly amazing but it does require us to have some code in place on our side of things to help feed the data.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I find it amusing that someone responded to a topic (that I'd replied to and hopefully answered the OPs question) with a link to a topic on basically the same thing that I started 4 years ago...

Not knocking the second respondent, just find it amusing (and yes, I'd completely forgotten about my 4 year old, answered, topic...)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:50 AM

This is what I specialize in from a data standpoint. You have on-site analytics like from Google Analytics that track all your activities. Then you have ad tracking, which is based primarily on cookies that track your paths across the interwebs based on ads you see or interact with. The cool part is this also can go across channels (Paid Search, Organic, Display, Social) and even now, devices (Desktop, Mobile, Tablet). This is what leads us to be able to do things like Attribution, where you can string everything together and understand the consumer journey.

This is the core of what people refer to when talking about log level data for advertising.

• xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:18 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:50 AM

This is what I specialize in from a data standpoint. You have on-site analytics like from Google Analytics that track all your activities. Then you have ad tracking, which is based primarily on cookies that track your paths across the interwebs based on ads you see or interact with. The cool part is this also can go across channels (Paid Search, Organic, Display, Social) and even now, devices (Desktop, Mobile, Tablet). This is what leads us to be able to do things like Attribution, where you can string everything together and understand the consumer journey.

This is the core of what people refer to when talking about log level data for advertising.

Yep... and it's not just cookies, either.  They use a thing called "spotlight pixels" which doesn't need cookies.

Shifting gears, I'm really pissed at some of the recruiter's web sites.  I'm not sure how they do it but I saw an interesting job posting (I'm not looking for a new job... just interested in what people post for job descriptions) and visited the web site to read the rest.  For the next 3 days, some recruiter from that company kept sending me emails that said they saw me look at the job and did I have any questions.  I've run into such a thing many times now.  Although I don't like what folks have to do to become GDPR compliant, I can definitely see why a whole lot of consumers want it.  I think I'll buy an IOT toilet so that I can express my opinion to these recruiters in a manner more faithful to my true feelings. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:00 AM

xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:18 AM

Yep... and it's not just cookies, either.  They use a thing called "spotlight pixels" which doesn't need cookies.

Shifting gears, I'm really pissed at some of the recruiter's web sites.  I'm not sure how they do it but I saw an interesting job posting (I'm not looking for a new job... just interested in what people post for job descriptions) and visited the web site to read the rest.  For the next 3 days, some recruiter from that company kept sending me emails that said they saw me look at the job and did I have any questions.  I've run into such a thing many times now.  Although I don't like what folks have to do to become GDPR compliant, I can definitely see why a whole lot of consumers want it.  I think I'll buy an IOT toilet so that I can express my opinion to these recruiters in a manner more faithful to my true feelings. πŸ˜‰

Googling "stack dump trigger"

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:05 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:00 AM

xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:18 AM

Googling "stack dump trigger"

Heh... Jeez... I wonder if it works on IOT toilets. πŸ˜‰  Thanks, Chris.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jasona.work - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:27 PM

I find it amusing that someone responded to a topic (that I'd replied to and hopefully answered the OPs question) with a link to a topic on basically the same thing that I started 4 years ago...

Not knocking the second respondent, just find it amusing (and yes, I'd completely forgotten about my 4 year old, answered, topic...)

On more than one occasion, I have googled for a problem that I'm having, only to find that I had asked it here - and it was answered. Sometimes (too frequently...), I don't even recall the original problem.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:32 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:27 PM

I find it amusing that someone responded to a topic (that I'd replied to and hopefully answered the OPs question) with a link to a topic on basically the same thing that I started 4 years ago...

On more than one occasion, I have googled for a problem that I'm having, only to find that I had asked it here - and it was answered. Sometimes (too frequently...), I don't even recall the original problem.

I have at least a couple of times ran into a problem and did some searching to find that it was asked here by someone else already....and then answered by me. It really goes full circle when you find your own answer which solves a current problem you are struggling with. Just goes to show that sometimes it is all about context.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Jeff, Kevin Tate was doing a SQL Server Indexing 101 at our user group meeting last night.  When index maintenance came up I asked if he had read any of the posts where you commented that you needed to go beyond index fragmentation when looking at index reorgs/rebuilds, he hadn't.  Is there a possibility that you may be working on an article or three on what you have been finding in the near future?  There are some of us that want to know.

• Sean Lange - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:51 AM

WayneS - Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:32 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:27 PM

I have at least a couple of times ran into a problem and did some searching to find that it was asked here by someone else already....and then answered by me. It really goes full circle when you find your own answer which solves a current problem you are struggling with. Just goes to show that sometimes it is all about context.

Other times, it's all about the quantity of marbles that have slipped out of the hole in the dilapidated bag...

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 15 posts - 60,991 through 61,005 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply